Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

Pretty short and sweet here gang. There are Gabriel fans who find the 80's pop Genesis stuff to be revolting. And vice versa for Phil Collins Pop Rock era fans who find early Genesis to be "too progressive rock", "songs too long", "Too smug" and/......"Too British."

My favorite album IMO is the one that combines both "70 Progressive/Concept" and 80's Pop Rock. DUKE in 1980. Always thought that album was a perfect happy medium of their 70's and 80's styles. Duke was largely a concept album very much with 70's influence. However, they throw in two radio friendly short tracks with "Misunderstanding" and "Turn it on again."

I hope 70's and 80's fans as myself can share their thoughts on this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
While I enjoy both ends of their career, I still get back to their early 70's material. Around early 1973, I was really embracing progressive, and I was picking up all back catalog on artists like Genesis, Gentle Giant, Focus, Strawbs, Barclay James Harvest, Bo Hannson, and many other bands.

I'll go with Selling England By The Pound. The Charisma label and its organization kicked their career into gear with the 1971 lp's Trespass and Foxtrot, and with Steve Hackett and Phil Collins coming on board with the group, those two lp's had some interesting tracks to them. Nursery Crymes came out shortly after.

After that came Selling England By The Pound, which is my favorite lp from the period. By this time the musical and theatrical focus came out front-Peter Gabriel. "The Battle Of Epping Forest?" Whew, great stuff! In my area we had four rock fm stations and by this time Genesis was getting airplay, this lp in particular. While still not quite being that well known as a group, IMO that's the lp that got the radio's attention and put their career into passing gear, at least in my area anyway.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
While I enjoy both ends of their career, I still get back to their early 70's material. Around early 1973, I was really embracing progressive, and I was picking up all back catalog on artists like Genesis, Gentle Giant, Focus, Strawbs, Barclay James Harvest, Bo Hannson, and many other bands.

I'll go with Selling England By The Pound. The Charisma label and its organization kicked their career into gear with the 1971 lp's Trespass and Foxtrot, and with Steve Hackett and Phil Collins coming on board with the group, those two lp's had some interesting tracks to them. Nursery Crymes came out shortly after.

After that came Selling England By The Pound, which is my favorite lp from the period. By this time the musical and theatrical focus came out front-Peter Gabriel. "The battle Of Epping Forest?" Whew, great stuff! In my area we had four rock fm stations and by this time Genesis was getting airplay, this lp in particular. While still not quite being that well known as a group, IMO that's the lp that got the radio's attention and put their career into passing gear, at least in my area anyway.
Definitely respect your take Double H. I'm 40 so I didn't really start hearing their material until the late 70's. I have since bought their Gabriel stuff with England and Broadway in particular. I am a huge fan of "The Cinema Show" from England especially. I tend to have a hard time listening to redundant 10 minute songs along the lines of the Allman Bros from the 70's. However, Gabriel Genesis mixed it up enroute to 10 minute songs back in the day. I am sure you were less than happy with "Invisible Touch." LOL.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Gentle Giant "Octopus" was the one some of my buddies told me about as a kid. They recommended that particular Giant album. "Cry for Everyone" favorite track.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default I was in college

in the 80's so my faves were the 1983 "Genesis" lp and the 1986 "Invisible Touch" lp those went further toward pop

Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
in the 80's so my faves were the 1983 "Genesis" lp and the 1986 "Invisible Touch" lp those went further toward pop
While they did "sell out" IMO with some of the material on those two albums. Ex: "That's All" from 1983 and "Invisible Touch" in 1986, they did keep their roots with "Home by the Sea" from 1983 and "Domino" and even "Tonight Tonight" (especially the long version) in 1986. Not my favorite albums but certainly should be purchased for newcomers to Genesis.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 PM

Speaking of the 1983 Genesis album. Still have that one in my truck. Moving out to Arizona this winter. I'll be sure to blast "Illegal Alien" in DUI patrol checkpoints.LOL.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM

Best of Gabriel Era

Genesis - The Cinema Show - YouTube

Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Best of the 80's Collins

Genesis - Keep It Dark - YouTube

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Definitely respect your take Double H. I'm 40 so I didn't really start hearing their material until the late 70's. I have since bought their Gabriel stuff with England and Broadway in particular. I am a huge fan of "The Cinema Show" from England especially. I tend to have a hard time listening to redundant 10 minute songs along the lines of the Allman Bros from the 70's. However, Gabriel Genesis mixed it up enroute to 10 minute songs back in the day. I am sure you were less than happy with "Invisible Touch." LOL.
I'll admit it did take me a while to get used to the change when Gabriel left and their direction changed. But after several listenings I was won over by Invisible Touch, it does have a lot of good material on it. It just saddens me a bit about Gabriel's recollections about that portion of his earlier career, kind of like wanting to dismiss that era altogether. I might be wrong about that assessment, I wish I was anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music