Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are surprised that about 70 to 80% of the music I listen to come from a single genre. If I were to list my favorite artists/bands, I would be down to #15 or #16 before I get to a single artist who is not contemporary country. And #15 would probalby be a very poppish person like Enrique Iglesias, Hilary Duff, or Michelle Branch. I actually don't like a single artist or band from the genres of rap, hip hop, jazz, soul, emo, screamo, heavy metal, death metal, techno, or electronic. The only genres I listen to are country, pop, and classical and a smattering of rock and classic rock but at least 70% of my music is country, and only post 1980s country music. I do like rap sometimes when its at a party, at a bar, or before a sporting event but not in any other setting.

My favorite artists are Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Lonestar, Keith Urban, Jo Dee Messina, Sara Evans, Kenny Chesney, and Toby Keith.

Do anyone else just like 1 or 2 genres of music? I'm not a music snob by any means but at the same time I don't want to sound TOO unsophisticated

Anyone think Taylor Swift is amazing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,044 times
I think it is a little unusual to like only one type of music. Music can be interesting in so many different ways. I have always felt that classical music before a test or physical challenge would stimulate me mentally while relaxing me and help me do my best. I like some adult contemporary -- it can be like poetry. I like jazz and love blues. I do not care for hip hop and do not in general like country but do like some alt.country such as Rilo Kiley and anything by Jenny Lewis. I believe strongly the more we listen to music and the more we understand it the more we can enjoy. I do not look down on people who do not like what I like, but recognize that taste in music, as in food, can differ from person to person. I love opera but do understand it is an acquired taste -- do not look down on those who don't enjoy it. I do not enjoy most musical commedy but there are exceptions. Mostly no rap for me. R&B, especially old, is one of my favorites. I hope to always keep my eyes open to new things.
Country music, in general, I do not love. Growing up in rural Washington State, in the 50s there was no country music. I didn't grown up with it, did not acquire the taste. That doesn't mean it is bad, just that it lacks appeal to me.
FWIW the music format with the most listeners in this country is "adult contemporary" whatever that means.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
It's not abnormal, but I personally think they are missing out on a lot of great music. I know a lot of people who only listen to R&B, rap, or gospel.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
It's not abnormal, but I personally think they are missing out on a lot of great music.
Yes - it's normal.
But it shouldn't be.
Check out some genres that you haven't given a chance.
If you really enjoy music, you will find SOMETHING in just about every genre that suits you.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
It's not unusual at all. Most people simply don't have the opportunity to sample other kinds of music enough to get to like it.

When we first married, all my husband knew and loved was Country. That was all that anyone in his community listened to. Once he heard a lot of classical, he was hooked! He even ended singing in the chorus when our symphony put on operas.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
Basically the only music I listen to is rap,and it seems pretty normal to me.I mix a little RnB and Soul in,but I mainly only listen to rap.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,127 times
Not unusual at all. When I was younger, all I listened to was Rock-Alternative. I loved Rage Against the Machine, Dave Matthews Band, U2, Sublime, Foo Fighters...you get the picture. I partially was influenced by the people I went to school with (both in middle and high school), so I listened to the music to sorta fit in with the crowd.

Then I aged and I seriously felt I was being so closed minded with music, that I started to branch out. I can say now that while I still like my Alternative roots, I listen more to Indie and Rap. I battled the stereotypes I had on those genres also, because I always perceived people who listened to Indie as being too emo, and simply, that rap 'sucked'. Both genres are awesome, and I also listen to World (mostly Brazilian) and Electronic also. The one genre I haven't tried yet is Country, but I'm thinking a few years down the line, I'll get more into it.

My advice - give it a try! Find some of the 'best of genre', and get those...

Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM

185 posts, read 252,917 times
I think a lot of people stick with one genre because they listen to it all the time and they know they will like it. It's probably the norm for some people. Me personally? I could never listen to just one type of music. I love music. I can find something good to listen to from any genre.

To me, music is an expression from another human being's soul. If I limit my musical influences it may also limit my desire to learn about another persons culture, country, or religion.

Have you ever heard a piece of music for the first time and it just hits you in that place? Whether it's a beat, a lyric, a voice, a chant or an instrument? It could touch a sad place or a joyful place. Maybe it makes you think of a happy time. Maybe it makes you want to dance. Maybe even sing along. It could be serious, silly, soulful, rowdy or even stupid.

It's funny you say you "don't like a single artist or band from the genres of rap, hip hop, jazz, soul, emo, screamo, heavy metal, death metal, techno, or electronic" but do go on to say you "do like rap sometimes when its at a party, at a bar, or before a sporting event but not in any other setting." Maybe you are more open to music than you think but don't "buy" outside of your genre.

If I was to tell you I didn't like country music, you could probably recommend a mainstream country artist along with their "best" CD that would get me to take a listen. At that point, if it grew on me I would ask for another recommendation because I now know we may have similar tastes in music. I like nl2134's suggestion, ask someone you know with different musical tastes or passions for a great CD from their favorite artist and you never know what you might discover.

Shelley

Old 12-01-2014, 11:32 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,164 times
Actually, I like songs in most genres, except for progressive country (that is what I call it). I love songs by Sam Cook; his voice is the music. Jackie Wilson, another voice. I like Motown, I grew up with it. I lived rock music, the Who, Doors, Eric Burden, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Ten Years After and others from that era. Hip Hop and some rap, I learned to like because of my boys. I can't really relate to every genre, because I don't know the genres that well, I don't know where songs fit in the alt.this is that or there are too many to remember. I recently lost about 400 songs when my computer crashed and when i searched by genre, seemed like the songs weren't in the right genre anyway.
I like songs not genres. Where would one place Frank Zappa? Credence? It's an in between band to me. Fifth Dimension, ...oh well I am drifting away. Blah, blah, blah, huh?

Oops, I forgot. It is not normal just to like one genre. Why wait a year before you try country? Just do it!!

Cheers

Last edited by tinynot; 12-01-2014 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: added answer to topic question

Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,533 times
That would never work for me, I like many different genres. I'm definitely most into indie rock, I'm always exploring Grooveshark and Rdio for new bands that I get recommendations from friends, or who I see live. With that said, I still like older rock (Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Stones, etc). I was born in the 60's after all! I also love classical jazz (Coltrane, Miles Davis, Monk). Being a trumpet player myself, Miles Davis has always been kind of an idol for me. I don't think there is a recording of his I don't have. I wish I could sometimes transport myself to the late 50's and 60's at my current age being able to see Davis and Coltrane performing at the Village Vanguard or the like. And, I do like some country (more old-style like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline), and I like classical, but prefer it live so I usually go to Kennedy Center once in a while to see NSO. The only type I really don't get into is the modern country and boy bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music