Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,806,115 times

Advertisements

I remember growing up hearing the song I'm posting here, which I heard way back in the 80's. I felt people would look down on me before for playing a song like this, but now I'm posting a song that helped me through my struggles. Anyone else brave enough to have a song you wanna post here now?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pg6Jh94Lo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,483,246 times
Default Never be too embarrased to play music that you love!!!!!!

Howard Jones - No One Is To Blame - YouTube

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Love this song, anyone who hasn't heard Howard Jones needs to listen to this, and thank you for the rep point! Hoping someone else will come out and say they actually listened to music like this as they grew up....Don't be embarassed, I gave you one of my songs which I was afraid to tell people about, now show us yours...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 AM

374 posts, read 474,289 times
It doesn't but it did... Eye to Eye

Nice Girl - YouTube

Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM

This used to embarass me, but, I finally got the stones to post it after so many personal battles. I assume this is how we all deal with pain right?

James Ingram & Michael McDonald - Yah Mo Be There - YouTube

Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,483,246 times
No song I like embarrasses me to play today

However when I was much younger I used to be so embarrassed when my drunk and fuked up father blasted this song in the late 60's

Donovan-Hurdy Gurdy Man - YouTube

And then as a teenager in high school (I was in 10th grade) I used to be embarrassed when my brother blasted this song while dropping me off in front of the high school back in 1980

David Bowie - Fashion FULL VERSION! - YouTube

But today I would blast both songs anytime anywhere!

Last edited by TVC15; 01-08-2013 at 03:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,251,947 times
I'm into my 60s, and I cannot think of a single song or piece of music that I wasn't afraid to listen to in front of anyone. In my final place of employment, I was able to play music in my one-person department throughout the day. They never knew what they were going to hear at any hour of the day, and I was there 10 years. I listened to bagpipe music as proudly as Heavy Metal or doowop or Sixties or big band or Ragtime or even "easy listening" style. People might have noticed from my posting that I have brought in music from cartoons, novelty songs of all types, and practically every genre.

I remember my younger sister being in different phases: Motown, The Carpenters, R&B. Generally, once she moved on to another favorite genre, she would "put down" her former loves. I never understood that, but obviously it must happen. Also, I've seen scenes in movies and on TV that also show this abandonment and/or embarrassment.

So, am I the strange person? I don't think I indiscriminately listen. I know exactly what I like and what I don't. Sometimes, I might like just one or two songs by an artist. For others, I embrace everything they do. A number of members here have complimented my musical taste, and I feel very honored by that.

I approach music the way I approach movies. If I loved it at, say, 5 years old, I likely love it just as much now. I don't turn up my nose at something I once loved. Whatever I saw or heard seems to be there for good. Occasionally, I become less-enthused about an artist, but I've never turned my back on anyone.

I have no idea what that says about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music