Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM

18,046 posts, read 27,501,143 times

Advertisements

There are times when I'm definitely not in the mood for rap. Like when I'm sitting in my house and some dude comes driving by my, I don't even know if you'd call it a suburb-suburb of Pueblo-that's funny- home on our Equestrian zoned-dirt road...thumping that base.

It's ok if I'm in my truck and I crank up the music though. I hate to admit this, but if you have a really nice stereo with some power going to the drivers, sub-base speakers, and sub-woofers-rap makes your stereo sound really good. (Translation for old people-really LOUD) I know, I know. I'm 40+ myself. I should grow up.

But I'm glad that this thread is here. It's funny to see the pro-rap people come in and flame it just like visa versa. Or maybe they're not supporting rap, but our rights of our Constitution and Ammendments.

I believe that rap fans and any other fan of any other form of art owes a debt of gratitude to good ole
Frank Zappa, God rest his soul. If you get 20 minutes to kill, you've got to watch Zappa tear-up! this columnist from DC!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 39,301 times
i love rap....i mean it may not be the best lyrics but the crazy beats are amazing.....

Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 AM

17 posts, read 79,521 times
I agree rap is not what it used to be but you need to listen to the like of
A tribe Called Quest
De la Soul
Fugees
Positive K
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Masta Ace

There is alot more but it shows that being a rapper is different than being an mc who takes a positive approach in self expression and lyrical poetry not the likes rap today.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynst1988 View Post
I agree rap is not what it used to be but you need to listen to the like of
A tribe Called Quest
De la Soul
Fugees
Positive K
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Masta Ace

There is alot more but it shows that being a rapper is different than being an mc who takes a positive approach in self expression and lyrical poetry not the likes rap today.
I agree those rappers you posted are not like the rap crap today and actually have positivity in them but its just not my style of rap,but maybe someone on here will like it.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,374 times
It looks like the same argument is made about rap as is commonly made about rock music.
A lot of "it used to be good, but now it sucks" comments. Maybe it's that artists that are simplistic and have a generic sort of appeal are what dominates the radio right now. That does not mean that "all rap is crap", does it? It means that you heard some 50 Cent song on the radio and came to that conclusion.
So if all I heard on the radio was some Nickelback song and I stated, "All rock sucks. It used to be good but now it's just crap. They all sound the same. I hate their voices", would that be a far conclusion? Unlikely.
I will state that I used to love rap music until about half way through college. It seemed to me that there was a decline in quality, but I suspect it was because I was not looking hard enough anymore, I wasn't putting in the effort I used to in seeking out good rap artists.
I started to get back into it when I heard Dizzee Rascal's "Boy In Da Corner" album, which is just awesome. I think there is probably a whole world of rap out there that I cannot wait to discover.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
Do the math!
RAP = CRAP...

Listen to the lyrics...killing cops...calling women HOs...disrespect for everything societal...and using the "N" word on each other when, if a white person did that, he would be jumped on by Jesse Jackson and The "reverend" AL.

I repeat:
RAP = CRAP
Wrong! Don't generalize. Not ALL rap songs are crap. Not all rap music is about killing cops, etc.

Notorious B.I.G. is probably the only rap artist I really like. He had some pretty good MUSIC to go with his rap, and some pretty decent lyrics.

But hey, don't listen to my opinion, because it sounds like your mind is already closed.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
But hey, don't listen to my opinion, because it sounds like your mind is already closed.
Whose minds are you expecting to open in an "I hate rap" thread? The major point of this thread is to act as a magnet for those who can't stand the genre to say so freely. If you want to open minds to rap, you're in the wrong place.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,015,353 times
Give me any other genre, folks. There are two things I'll never listen to. One is rap and the other is heavy metal. I'm game for anything else.

I'm sorry, folks, but the style of rap is just plain boring and downright annoying, regardless of the lyrics. It's just rattling off different rhythms and patterns. There's just no point. I'd rather listen to someone sing, and sadly, that is starting to become a lost art. After watching American Idol for several years, there's just not too much originality anymore, just a lot of sameness.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Give me any other genre, folks. There are two things I'll never listen to. One is rap and the other is heavy metal. I'm game for anything else.

I'm sorry, folks, but the style of rap is just plain boring and downright annoying, regardless of the lyrics. It's just rattling off different rhythms and patterns. There's just no point. I'd rather listen to someone sing, and sadly, that is starting to become a lost art. After watching American Idol for several years, there's just not too much originality anymore, just a lot of sameness.
Singing is becoming a lost art? I disagree.
And there is no more originality? And you're basing this off American Idol?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,015,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Singing is becoming a lost art? I disagree.
And there is no more originality? And you're basing this off American Idol?
Now, Jickler, just relax. I'm not saying the art of singing is completely gone --- I just hope it doesn't completely get to that point. There are newcomers coming on to the scene that I'm sure will have something new to offer. It just seems that this younger generation just wants to impersonate certain popular singers rather than be original. And I made the reference to AI because that's the hot thing going on right now; I'm not suggesting that's all there is. But be sure of this: Nothing and nobody will ever get me to listen to rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music