U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM
 
2,824 posts, read 3,955,351 times
Reputation: 1753

Advertisements

Today, you can't go through a British music magazine without seeing something dealing with Radiohead and Oasis (Noel and Liam Gallagher). It's more rare to see any mention of Blur and Damon Albarn. You definitely see Blur and Albarn, but not as many times as Radiohead/Oasis. Blur kicked off the whole Britpop movement with their albums "Modern Life is Rubbish" and "Parklife" and continued through their career reinventing themselves as artists, releasing FANTASTIC albums, and still didn't manage to lose good sales or fans. In my opinion, Blur are better than Radiohead (just a little) and a WHOLE lot better than Oasis. Am I crazy to think that Blur are underrated compared to these two other bands? Opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Columbus OH
1,607 posts, read 3,101,754 times
Reputation: 1816
I remember the great Blur/ Oasis rivalry of 1994-1995. Lots of hype, but those bands (plus Supergrass, Cast, The Auteurs, and others) created some great tunes. Personally, I don't think Blur ever had a song as great as 'Live Forever', but I'll take Parklife by blur over any Oasis album. Great variety of musical styles: This is a Low is awesome, as is Tracey Jacks, ParkLife and End of A Century. I also have several other blur albums, but they seem a bit spotty to me. I'd also say that Supergrass is an unappreciated band. Their self-titled album is pretty solid IMO, with 'Moving', 'Beautiful People', and especially ' Pumping on your Stereo'.
I know Radiohead gets lots of accolades, but they never did much for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 AM
 
14,787 posts, read 15,648,708 times
Reputation: 20607
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Today, you can't go through a British music magazine without seeing something dealing with Radiohead and Oasis (Noel and Liam Gallagher). It's more rare to see any mention of Blur and Damon Albarn. You definitely see Blur and Albarn, but not as many times as Radiohead/Oasis. Blur kicked off the whole Britpop movement with their albums "Modern Life is Rubbish" and "Parklife" and continued through their career reinventing themselves as artists, releasing FANTASTIC albums, and still didn't manage to lose good sales or fans. In my opinion, Blur are better than Radiohead (just a little) and a WHOLE lot better than Oasis. Am I crazy to think that Blur are underrated compared to these two other bands? Opinions?
I think they are underrated compared to Oasis, but IMO Radiohead are streets ahead of both Blur & Oasis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
 
4,240 posts, read 8,371,813 times
Reputation: 3928
Oasis are garbage and have always been garbage. Blur is definitely better. Overlooked is Travis. There album the Man Who...... is one of the best albums in the past 40 years. An absolute classic!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
37,224 posts, read 20,627,831 times
Reputation: 13292
Britpop is a music that never really appealed to me. Radiohead had some good stuff but I am not exactly a fan but they don't hit as much of a raw nerve as say Oasis does. Travis and Supergrass are fine but nothing special in my book.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
 
2,824 posts, read 3,955,351 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I remember the great Blur/ Oasis rivalry of 1994-1995. Lots of hype, but those bands (plus Supergrass, Cast, The Auteurs, and others) created some great tunes. Personally, I don't think Blur ever had a song as great as 'Live Forever', but I'll take Parklife by blur over any Oasis album. Great variety of musical styles: This is a Low is awesome, as is Tracey Jacks, ParkLife and End of A Century. I also have several other blur albums, but they seem a bit spotty to me. I'd also say that Supergrass is an unappreciated band. Their self-titled album is pretty solid IMO, with 'Moving', 'Beautiful People', and especially ' Pumping on your Stereo'.
I know Radiohead gets lots of accolades, but they never did much for me.
I love Supergrass and have all their albums, same with Blur. I also really enjoy Pulp, their albums "Different Class" and "This is Hardcore" are excellent. I do agree that "Live Forever" and "Definitely Maybe" as a whole are great, but I don't really like the other Oasis albums. I know "Morning Glory" was huge when it came out back in 95, but I'm not a big fan of that album apart from "Some Might Say" and "Champagne Supernova." I never listened to any other Oasis album all the way through after Morning Glory, but judging by listening to their singles, not really impressed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
38,179 posts, read 67,999,789 times
Reputation: 61773
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Oasis are garbage and have always been garbage. Blur is definitely better.
Yes! Finally someone said it.

I never liked Radiohead, either. Boring, derivative junk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
 
1,274 posts, read 1,104,284 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes! Finally someone said it.

I never liked Radiohead, either. Boring, derivative junk.
Oasis were derivative but Radiohead? I think they've managed to take their influences and genuinely create something different and not many big-selling bands would have put out something as divisive as Kid-A after a hugely popular album.

Suede were the best of the Brit-poppers and, after a few years break, they've come back with a terrific album which is almost up with their best.

Never quite took to Blur but agree they're much more musically creative and ambitious than Oasis who were nothing more than plodding pub-rockers who got lucky.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,819 posts, read 15,191,598 times
Reputation: 12399
I'm a longtime Blur fan, and have all their albums plus their official B-side collection. They were heads above Oasis IMHO; Blur evolved hugely from Leisure to Think Tank, whereas Oasis more or less did one thing and stuck to it. They were more controversial than Blur, thanks to the Gallagher Brothers' public drunken feuds and inability to keep their mouths shut, and that kept them in the limelight longer, but their music never interested me anywhere near as much as Blur's did. Blur's self-titled album is still one of my all-time, absolute favorite records.

Radiohead is a great band, no argument there... though I will say that they did end up becoming overrated, through no fault of their own. If you ever watch "Meeting People Is Easy," the documentary on them that was done during the OK Computer years, then you'll see exactly how much of that praise was overkill even in the band's opinion, and how they struggled to keep themselves going in the wake of it. They were always different from Blur, though; they were never Britpop, they were an alternative band who happened to be British, and their musical styles are totally divergent. Kid A/Amnesiac were an interesting break from what people expected, and I doubt if any other band could have pulled off as big a switcheroo as they did and kept their careers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,819 posts, read 15,191,598 times
Reputation: 12399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtech Machine View Post
Only know one tune.

This one will make you break stuff and win a race.



Blur - Song 2 - YouTube
So will this one, off the same album.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_G2Ufe9d7I
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top