Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In the midst of the 80's was a swell of Patriotism with Bruce Springsteens huge hit "Born in the USA" .
That's funny to me. You're right, but if people paid attention to the lyrics, they wouldn't have been filled with patriotism. It's a song about disillusionment with the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 AM

76 posts, read 87,994 times
Quote:
I think there was a feeling that America was Awesome and we could do no wrong, the world looked up to us and we all had bright futures ahead in fact "our futures were so bright we had to wear shades" (that was a song back then).

In the midst of the 80's was a swell of Patriotism with Bruce Springsteens huge hit "Born in the USA" .

The 80's were a time of greed and wealth for some but if you were not rich it didn't matter you could still squeeze into your acid wash jeans and tease your hair to the moon or don a Tshirt and roll up those sleeves on your sport coat and all was good.
I think you pretty much nailed it.

I still can't fully explain the surge in patriotism during Reagan's 2nd term, but it was certainly prevalent from '84 to '86. I can remember the 200th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in July 1986 and that seemed like a big event at the time. Maybe it's because during the 70's we kinda hated ourselves for getting involved in the huge mess of the Vietnam War, and we finally felt like it was OK to feel good about ourselves again. Reagan declared America was the "Shining City on a Hill" in 1984 and we all bought into it, and that fueled the good-times music of the era. Like you said, there was a focus on greed and everyone wanted a big house and new BMW but I remember in my little town I grew up in, it was more about basic values like treating people decent and just having FUN.

I remember the 80's starting off gloomy (Iran hostage crisis, recession and Reagan shooting) and then kinda ending gloomy, too (another small recession). But for that period '83 to '87 it was all about the good feels!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,049,290 times
Cocaine.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM

259 posts, read 259,111 times
Quote:
...my favorite CD is Duran Duran greatest hits. I still don't understand why they ever broke up?
They'll play in Gibraltar this year.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 PM

401 posts, read 641,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Cocaine.
i discussed this topic with a friend of mine once and he says the same thing you did.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:15 PM

781 posts, read 737,798 times
The top 40 stuff was happy. The underground was very p***ed off. I've always thought it was funny that we were the generation produced Slayer and Sam Kinison. Man, we were really p***ed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music