Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:06 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
It doesn't really matter if he had a 10 octave range, his tone sounds like a dying cat. He sounds even worse these days, if that's even possible. I thought of this thread because I heard "thunderstruck" for the first time in about 10 years and it sounded like a screaming duck. High pitched screaming just sounds like garbage, that's why I consider Rose and Johnson to be the 2 worst singers ever.

The guy is in his 50's. Guys with that type of voice and range completely lose it usually by their 40's. Just look at what happened to Robert Plant.

In his prime Axl was the best front man of his era whether you liked him or not. Does he sing as good as Elvis or John Denver? Of course not, but to say that he was a bad singer is quite honestly laughable.

You don't care for these vocalists. Just leave it at that, but to say they're bad singers is untrue.
I don't particularly care for Ozzy's voice, but I'm not about to say he was a bad singer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:08 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post

Another rock star with a voice that grates on my nerves is Bruce Springteen. Bruce's voice doesn't compliment most of his music. He has a voice well suited for ballads and acoustic music, like the song, "I'm on Fire"

I agree that Bruce's voice is not all that great and works best in a softer setting. However, he's been so successful and has had so many great songs and I find that I don't mind the fact that his voice isn't all that good. I view that as a testament to how good his songwriting really was/is.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
Quote:
I don't care for rock stars who use a falsetto voice. Steve Howe from Yes, and the lead singer in Rush are just plain awful.

Another rock star with a voice that grates on my nerves is Bruce Springteen. Bruce's voice doesn't compliment most of his music. He has a voice well suited for ballads and acoustic music, like the song, "I'm on Fire"
Steve How was the lead guitarist, you're thinking of Jon Anderson.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The guy is in his 50's. Guys with that type of voice and range completely lose it usually by their 40's. Just look at what happened to Robert Plant.

In his prime Axl was the best front man of his era whether you liked him or not. Does he sing as good as Elvis or John Denver? Of course not, but to say that he was a bad singer is quite honestly laughable.

You don't care for these vocalists. Just leave it at that, but to say they're bad singers is untrue.
I don't particularly care for Ozzy's voice, but I'm not about to say he was a bad singer.
Actually, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like Led Zeppelin, I saw Robert Plant with the Band of Joy in 2010 and he KILLED it, I liked it more than any live Zep I'd ever heard.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Actually, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like Led Zeppelin, I saw Robert Plant with the Band of Joy in 2010 and he KILLED it, I liked it more than any live Zep I'd ever heard.
I've seen videos of plant/page page stuff from over 20 years ago that was a lot like current Axl or Steven Tyler. He just couldn't hit the high stuff anymore while staying in key.

With that being said, most these guys can still sound great in the studio even without auto-tune, so I'm sure they have their good days and bad days. I saw Motley Crue in 2001, and Vince sang like a rock god, but the other two times I've seen them since, he was like bad karaoke lol

Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
I don't care for rock stars who use a falsetto voice. Steve Howe from Yes, and the lead singer in Rush are just plain awful.
Quote:
Steve How was the lead guitarist, you're thinking of Jon Anderson.
I'm thinking that ET just doesn't like prog rock in general.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM

264 posts, read 272,387 times
No one would ever accuse Ozzy of having a great voice, but could you imagine early Sabbath without that menacing Brummy drone?

And i might be wrong seeing as it was so long ago, but wasnt Brian Johnson picked for AC/DC because a certain similarity between his and Bon Scott's voice?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,827,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What does 'worst' mean in this context?

Fronting a rock band isn't about having a technical voice (though some indeed do that - Freddie Mercury comes to mind) - it's about having a presence, a swagger, soul, verve, a voice with character. There are great rock voices that are technically marginal (Dylan comes to mind - his voice sucks but it's fantastic) and there are technically great voices that are mindlessly boring.
This is right on....example Lemmy is one of the greatest voices in rock and I know he ain't technical.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 PM

290 posts, read 259,069 times
From a personal "voice that I hate" standpoint I have to say that Rod Stewart is the worst rock singer, now and in his prime.

But let's go back a bit in time. I absolutely hate this singer's voice. It also seems to me technically and stylistically limited. He is Philip Oakey from the band Human League. He had a horrid way of phrasing or whatever the technical term is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqqBs6kkzHE

Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
David Hasselhoff - Hooked on a Feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music