Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM

149 posts, read 166,568 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me the difference between rock & roll and hard rock. I see new bands (post 2010) that label themselves as rock & roll (ie. The Gods of Macho) but they really seem like hard rock to me. Did hard rock as a genre die out in the 80's? Is it a passe term? Are we on neo- hard rock yet or post-classical hard rock?

Most of the bands I'd consider to be true rock & roll are much older bands, perhaps even predating "classic rock" as "oldies". I listen to a lot of newer music with crazy specific genres (anti-folk, cave rock, dark cabaret, Industrial Goth, Neo soul, PBR&B, Power pop, power noise, baroque pop, and EBR/ EBM / new German hardness). These are genres that I was unaware of when I was a teen. We had rap, pop, alternative, punk rock and metal (don't even get me started on subgenres of metal). That was what the young people listened to. We still had classical and I did work at a folk festival so there was at least folk music it just wasn't "popular." But we didn't have crazy sub-genres of genres- or at least not that I was aware of.

So what do you think are good examples of modern rock and roll vs. modern hard rock. Or, for those of you who are musically inclined please explain the difference in musical terms like you would if you were explaining it to a kid. I'm a listener not a musician
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM

14,471 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesticmarmocet View Post
Can anyone explain to me the difference between rock & roll and hard rock. I see new bands (post 2010) that label themselves as rock & roll (ie. The Gods of Macho) but they really seem like hard rock to me. Did hard rock as a genre die out in the 80's? Is it a passe term? Are we on neo- hard rock yet or post-classical hard rock?

Most of the bands I'd consider to be true rock & roll are much older bands, perhaps even predating "classic rock" as "oldies". I listen to a lot of newer music with crazy specific genres (anti-folk, cave rock, dark cabaret, Industrial Goth, Neo soul, PBR&B, Power pop, power noise, baroque pop, and EBR/ EBM / new German hardness). These are genres that I was unaware of when I was a teen. We had rap, pop, alternative, punk rock and metal (don't even get me started on subgenres of metal). That was what the young people listened to. We still had classical and I did work at a folk festival so there was at least folk music it just wasn't "popular." But we didn't have crazy sub-genres of genres- or at least not that I was aware of.

So what do you think are good examples of modern rock and roll vs. modern hard rock. Or, for those of you who are musically inclined please explain the difference in musical terms like you would if you were explaining it to a kid. I'm a listener not a musician
The first two paragraphs give you a good explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rock

Rock n Roll as we know it will never die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music