Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 03:35 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,640,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My favorite from The Partridge Family, btw. Thanks for the memory, Howard. Been too long since I heard it.

The easiest try at a new record will be posted one night soon.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,360 times
Weird. I have no recollection of that song. Congrats, CV!

Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 632,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My favorite from The Partridge Family, btw. Thanks for the memory, Howard. Been too long since I heard it.
You're amazing, congrats!

Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
You're amazing, congrats!
Thanks to you both.

I'm sorry if you were deprived of that song, SP. It was huge in Omaha - got to number 9 on the Billboard chart in June of '71, but got airplay as though it were a number 1. I had just bought my first brand new car in March of that year and I still remember the great feeling it was to be driving my new car at night with the Omaha streetlights mystically reflecting off the gorgeous new paint on the hood, while listening to that song. It was my favorite during its peak weeks.

I've got the 45 packed away with my other records, but haven't had a turntable in over 20 years. I'm going to have to download the digital version and put it on my USB in the car.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,799,658 times
Quote:
Same here. It's possible that I've heard it, but it made no impression.

So, I also offer congrats to crown vic for recognizing the song.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Jay and The Americans - the real story. The group died when Jay Black had to give up the name to someone who formed a group with a sound alike singer.

Jay Traynor was the lead vocal when the group began in 1962. He left the group and David Blatt was asked to join the group and stayed the lead singer until the group broke up in 1973. David agreed to adopt the name to Jay Black.

Traynor toured with The Tokens in the 2000's and died in 2014.

Jay Black and The Americans performed until 2006.
Kenny Vance left the group in 1973 and formed his own group Kenny Vance and The Planotones.
The Planotones always performed Cara Mia and Kenny and Jay Black stayed good friends.

In 2006, Jay Black filed for bankruptcy and his ownership of the name "Jay & The Americans" was sold by the bankruptcy trustee to Sandy Deanne (Yaguda), Black's former band mate and original member of Jay & The Americans. With the name purchase, former members Deanne, Howard Kane, and Marty Sanders reunited, and recruited a sound-alike singer from Chicago, coincidentally nicknamed "Jay." Thus, John "Jay" Reincke became the third "Jay"

So no doubt in my mind that the current Jay of the touring Jay and The Americans is not considered by me as the original Jay or Jay Black. He and his group has a nice sound but Jay Black and The Americans ended in 2006.

I would not pay a dime to see the current ones. They are substituting as a group that no longer exist. They only have the original three Americans as the 1960's group was five with Jay Black and Kenny Vance being the other two.

As far as the other groups on that link above yes some of the group members are deceased but Shirley Alston Reeves was and is currently the lead singer for the Shirelles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJF0b44nWE

Old 12-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Jay and The Americans - the real story. The group died when Jay Black had to give up the name to someone who formed a group with a sound alike singer.

Jay Traynor was the lead vocal when the group began in 1962. He left the group and David Blatt was asked to join the group and stayed the lead singer until the group broke up in 1973. David agreed to adopt the name to Jay Black.

Traynor toured with The Tokens in the 2000's and died in 2014.

Jay Black and The Americans performed until 2006.
Kenny Vance left the group in 1973 and formed his own group Kenny Vance and The Planotones.
The Planotones always performed Cara Mia and Kenny and Jay Black stayed good friends.

In 2006, Jay Black filed for bankruptcy and his ownership of the name "Jay & The Americans" was sold by the bankruptcy trustee to Sandy Deanne (Yaguda), Black's former band mate and original member of Jay & The Americans. With the name purchase, former members Deanne, Howard Kane, and Marty Sanders reunited, and recruited a sound-alike singer from Chicago, coincidentally nicknamed "Jay." Thus, John "Jay" Reincke became the third "Jay"

So no doubt in my mind that the current Jay of the touring Jay and The Americans is not considered by me as the original Jay or Jay Black. He and his group has a nice sound but Jay Black and The Americans ended in 2006.

I would not pay a dime to see the current ones. They are substituting as a group that no longer exist. They only have the original three Americans as the 1960's group was five with Jay Black and Kenny Vance being the other two.

As far as the other groups on that link above yes some of the group members are deceased but Shirley Alston Reeves was and is currently the lead singer for the Shirelles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHJF0b44nWE
I was confused by this at first reading because I never knew that Jay Black was born David Blatt. But regardless of his name, one thing's for certain....and that is that there's no Jay and the Americans without Jay Black.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:54 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,360 times
Here ya go. I enjoyed this -- a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqDGEIhVxE

Old 12-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Here ya go. I enjoyed this -- a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqDGEIhVxE
Love this clip....have seen it before. If anything, he's better at 72! Amazing!!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 PM

Two letters describe this clip - EZ

https://vimeo.com/304259279

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music