Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 04:05 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,761 times

Advertisements

I don't want this turn into a racial stereotype thread, but I have been wondering about the cultural breakdown of the rock music clubs in NYC and the surrounding area. The majority of people who attend these clubs are of Mexican or South American descent - not white, black, or Puerto Rican. I don't mean people that are born here but actual immigrants.

For example this guy I know works chitty jobs in construction and in bars, and the Mexican guys at his job listen to hardcore metal like Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, and Slayer. However the Caucasian, African American, and Asian guys there stick to rap and ethnic music. If they listen to rock at all it's stuff like Panic at the Disco. Older cats listen to dad rock and soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
Dad rock? You do know how old the guys in Iron Maiden are?

I do get your point though.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Dad rock? You do know how old the guys in Iron Maiden are?

I do get your point though.
I'm aware that Maiden and Morbid Angel are technically dad rock but their sound is too hardcore to really be considered in the same category as Boston.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,527,105 times
I am hispanic but I grew up in the States. I believe that rock and metal music still sells very well in South America. Let me explain. When I started working I met some guys that immigrated from Colombia and Venezuela. These guys were huge fans of bands like Slipknot, System of a Down, etc. They told me that US pop and hip hop never made it big in their country. So, the perception that pop, hip hop, trap etc., has overtaken rock in terms popularity, while true in the states, is not a global phenomenom. I remember traveling to Argentina a few years ago and you could hear hard rock/metal in the contemporary stations of the country. They still listen to pop, don’t get me wrong, but most of their pop music came from artists of tgeir own country not the US.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I am hispanic but I grew up in the States. I believe that rock and metal music still sells very well in South America. Let me explain. When I started working I met some guys that immigrated from Colombia and Venezuela. These guys were huge fans of bands like Slipknot, System of a Down, etc. They told me that US pop and hip hop never made it big in their country. So, the perception that pop, hip hop, trap etc., has overtaken rock in terms popularity, while true in the states, is not a global phenomenom. I remember traveling to Argentina a few years ago and you could hear hard rock/metal in the contemporary stations of the country. They still listen to pop, don’t get me wrong, but most of their pop music came from artists of tgeir own country not the US.
This has been my friend's experience with his recent immigrant coworkers as well. I have also noticed this when I met kids in my college who were born and raised outside of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music