Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

I'm of the age for whom Classic Rock is not JUST music to me. It is a very important and integral part of my entire life experience and personal history. That music was the background "soundtrack" for the "movie" moments of my life in my teens and twenties. Moments I will never forget, made more memorable by the music.

It's an instant mental link to my youth and those awesome times that those of us who were in our youth in the 1970's and 1980's experienced and remember so vividly and fondly. I don't think there was anything like it before or since. I think that's why it endures and continues to be played on certain radio stations to this day, 40sh years after much of that music was created. I will likely continue to listen to some of that music until the day I die.

BUT is there anything sadder than seeing or hearing these songs now performed live by aging artists that just can't do the music justice anymore? Why do people buy tickets for this? Is it just a matter of seeing them live because of who they are, no matter how they deliver (or don't deliver)?

Examples of several groups I have seen/heard recently on YouTube on live tours or giving live performances that make me cringe are:

REO Speedwagen

Fleetwood Mac

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

Toto

Paul McCartney

Elton John

Steve Perry (new solo album)

I mean, is warbling, and straining through their songs OK, just because of who they are? Because I wouldn't go to see any of these acts today if someone gave me a free ticket. It's too depressing! I mean they've earned enough money haven't they, why not just stop?

On the other hand, there are still a few that can really still put it out there, Ann and Nancy Wilson being one example. But when Ann's vocal ability is gone, I hope she will stop as well.

Please, leave us with our good memories of the music.

I'm curious how others feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 09:31 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm of the age for whom Classic Rock is not JUST music to me. It is a very important and integral part of my entire life experience and personal history. That music was the background "soundtrack" for the "movie" moments of my life in my teens and twenties. Moments I will never forget, made more memorable by the music.

It's an instant mental link to my youth and those awesome times that those of us who were in our youth in the 1970's and 1980's experienced and remember so vividly and fondly. I don't think there was anything like it before or since. I think that's why it endures and continues to be played on certain radio stations to this day, 40sh years after much of that music was created. I will likely continue to listen to some of that music until the day I die.

BUT is there anything sadder than seeing or hearing these songs now performed live by aging artists that just can't do the music justice anymore? Why do people buy tickets for this? Is it just a matter of seeing them live because of who they are, no matter how they deliver (or don't deliver)?

Examples of several groups I have seen/heard recently on YouTube on live tours or giving live performances that make me cringe are:

REO Speedwagen

Fleetwood Mac

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

Toto

Paul McCartney

Elton John

Steve Perry (new solo album)

I mean, is warbling, and straining through their songs OK, just because of who they are? Because I wouldn't go to see any of these acts today if someone gave me a free ticket. It's too depressing! I mean they've earned enough money haven't they, why not just stop?

On the other hand, there are still a few that can really still put it out there, Ann and Nancy Wilson being one example. But when Ann's vocal ability is gone, I hope she will stop as well.

Please, leave us with our good memories of the music.

I'm curious how others feel about this?
While I could not care any less about the musical canon of most of the artists you list, my enjoyment of Rumours and the White Album and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road are not impacted in any way by what the artists who made that music are doing nowadays. No one is putting a gun to my head and making me attend their concerts (I don't) or listen to their recorded music (again, I don't).

It's like series reboots or sequels of originals that I liked. I love The Shining, both by Stephen King and Stanley Kubrick. The creation of that crappy Shining miniseries in the 1990s and of King's recent sequel to the novel do not bother me at all. I did watch the remake (I was more or less a captive audience); I won't read the book.

I do not need a safe space from the mere existence of either. So it is with whatever Sir Paul is cranking out these days.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:

REO Speedwagen
Isn't Kevin Cronin still touring with them? Since he did most of their vocals, I would assume they still sound pretty good.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac
It was not nice what they did to Lindsey, but I would love to see them if they would do some old stuff, eg Peter Green era

Quote:
Paul McCartney
I have to disagree with this one. I am not a big McCartney fan, but my friend is, so we caught his show this year. It was one of the best rock concerts I have seen in 40+ years. His voice did crack once or twice, but overall a very professional and enjoyable show. One thing that makes it for me is when the performers seem to be having a good time, instead of just going through the motions. Paul looked like he was having fun.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Steve Perry used to be a recluse, but his wife, who was dying of breast cancer, made him promise he would try to sing again and not stay a recluse after her death. So he did it for her, which I respect.

It’s so hard to compete with what they once were. I don’t blame them for trying.

I can’t imagine a voice like Joe Elliott’s holding up well over time. So yeah, as for listening, I’ll stick with the old stuff.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Saw bb king ...long after he supposedly hit his peak....
He astounded me...his energy! Classy guy.

Saddest concert I attended was with Peter Gabriel. His " show " performance wise was phenonmenal. The younger folks though couldn't appreciate his talent.
Instead most congregated in small groups smoking way too much pot and trying to head bang...it was sad not because of the artist. Because of the attendees.

Never got into headbanger music...screeching ...or mosh pit antics.
So if I didn't like it then ...it wouldn't change now.

Did see Liza Minelli in a small town concert hall. She didn't impress me much. Her health probably factored into it. She had just finished a hospital stay for her hip. ...so her movements weren't really free flowing...her voice not on pitch.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:26 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
While some might not have the vocal strength as in their youth, they are still icons and I say let 'em rock on until they decide to give it up.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
My sister saw Paul McCartney in concert recently and said that he still puts on a pretty good show and his voice has not suffered much despite him being older. His shows sell out very quickly so there still must be something there.

As for Def Leppard I have seen them recently and they still sound decent outside of Joe Elliott having a bit of trouble with the higher notes. He still sounds fine with his mid range and lower range though.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
All of them should retire. 99% of them look awful, and sound terrible - many could not sing to start with. I don't know how some ever got record deals.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
While some might not have the vocal strength as in their youth, they are still icons and I say let 'em rock on until they decide to give it up.
I agree.

For those who want to remember them at their prime, don't watch.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:23 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I agree.

For those who want to remember them at their prime, don't watch.
Yup. I'm no spring chicken myself so I'm not going to judge a one of them. There are a few that I adore and have been a fan of since they first came on the scene. They're still singing their songs, old and new and I love it. I only hope I go before they do because it would be sad to say goodbye.

Even now, I'm currently watching The Eagles Melbourne concert when Glenn was still alive. Great concert and I love that the Eagles are still performing, with Glenn's son having taken his dad's place on guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music