Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times

Advertisements

That Jagged Little Pill album is completely different to all her other albums.
If Alanis Morissette had stuck to angry female rock (especially the tracks "You Oughta Know" and "All I Really Want" and "Right Through You" and "Not The Doctor") I think she'd have been far more legendary.
That album alone made her a legend, but she would have remained more relevant in the 2000s if she didn't soften, because Jagged Little Pill was insanely popular with multiple age groups.
And with all her fame, she'd have kept that genre alive like no one else could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 04:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Do you really believe that? She followed where her music was leading her. Would you have wanted her to "fake" it and not evolve?

Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Yeah, and if only the Spin Doctors and Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum had kept making albums with the same sound, they'd be....Wait a minute, they did, and they faded out of the limelight.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you really believe that? She followed where her music was leading her. Would you have wanted her to "fake" it and not evolve?
I'm 100% certain she'd be WAY bigger now if all her albums were similar to Jagged Little Pill.
Every Alanis fan I've ever spoken to has said they miss her original style.
And I bet the mainstream casual fans feels the same way.
But what you're talking about is something entirely different - what she wanted to do.
She chose to please herself, and the rest of us suffered as a result.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:18 AM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I'm 100% certain she'd be WAY bigger now if all her albums were similar to Jagged Little Pill.
Every Alanis fan I've ever spoken to has said they miss her original style.
And I bet the mainstream casual fans feels the same way.
But what you're talking about is something entirely different - what she wanted to do.
She chose to please herself, and the rest of us suffered as a result.
How distraught!
Music is all about pleasing your inner voices, not listening to others'.

Many years ago before I was married, a girl that I was seeing had a brother that worked as a graphic artist for a pr firm that was handling an Alanis tour. One leg brought the tour to Chicago, the next night in a tiny town in Illinois (pop. 3000 where her and brother are from) my then girlfriend and I walked into the local bowling alley bar, 6 or 7 people were sitting there, in amongst that group were three very different looking folks. One was her brother, the other two were Alanis and her boyfriend/ guitar player! We spent the night drinking and sharing stories, while nobody in this sleepy little town had a clue who was there for the evening.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
It seemed like Jagged Little Pill was inspired by whatever personal things she was going through at the time. Her first album (before Jagged) was more pop/dance.

How could she have maintained that "angry" style if she was no longer inspired to create that kind of music?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It seemed like Jagged Little Pill was inspired by whatever personal things she was going through at the time. Her first album (before Jagged) was more pop/dance.

How could she have maintained that "angry" style if she was no longer inspired to create that kind of music?
Yes, I listened to her first album too ("Superman" is my favorite song on that album).

I know its not about being a legend, or selling albums, and obviously fans are irrelevant, but I'm simply saying its a shame there was never another Jagged Little Pill.

And I never said she could maintain her angry style, I said IF she maintained her angry....
Not "could" or even "should", just IF.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:34 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times
Considering how HUGE that album was (like, everyone in high school owned a copy), it is surprising how little you hear it today. I heard "You Learn" at the store the other day, but it's a rarity.

I think it holds up just fine (fine fine).

Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Considering how HUGE that album was (like, everyone in high school owned a copy), it is surprising how little you hear it today. I heard "You Learn" at the store the other day, but it's a rarity.

I think it holds up just fine (fine fine).
And some of her songs on Jagged Little Pill weren't angry at all, so her anger wasn't the thing that made it special.
The thing that made it special, in my opinion, was her raw and untamed voice.
I think that voice would be appreciated in 2019.
She lost that voice in the next albums, because I guess she had singing lessons, and became just another singer.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
100% disagree. Jagged little pill came out in 1995, which at the time, grunge was dying, and there wasn’t a dominant style of rock music so it was the perfect environment for an artist like her to thrive. By the time she released her 2nd album, 1998, nu metal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkitz were at the top of the charts alongside pop boy bands and Brittney Spears, so there was really no room for an artist like Alanis regardless if she had gone heavier on her second album (perhaps she should have gone nu metal?). And by the way, her second album contains some bangers, but people had just moved on to other stuff; like Pink (the singer) for example, which was basically pop music dressed up as, to quote you, “angry female rock” or Avril Lavigne, which was pop dressed up as punk. But Alanis had too much integrity to had gone those routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music