Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Millenials list to 60s/70s era pop music
Yes, a lot 8 23.53%
Yes, some 19 55.88%
Not really 2 5.88%
None 3 8.82%
Other opinions, post away! 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 12:20 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times

Advertisements

I think as long as younger folk are learning guitar, they'll be learning "Stairway," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Wish You Were Here," "Hotel California," and all that good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 02:49 PM

426 posts, read 160,221 times
Hello, I'm a Millennial.

First of all, I'm quite taken back by you saying that The Stylistics are cringe. Sure, there are some cheesy songs from them, but I really like Philly Soul. The instrumentation of Philly Soul is so good. My top favorite Stylistics songs are Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) and Payback is a Dog.

Anyway, how and why did I, a Millennial, come to like 60s and 70s music? No, it wasn't JJBA. In fact, I don't think that series has featured all of that much 60s/70s music, or at least not played it. The original series has Roundabout as the Endings on episodes, but I think that's it for 60s/70s music actually played (not just referenced). Could be wrong, but the next JJBA series went more 80s.

It is interesting to think back on how I got into it. Well, first of all my parents are boomers. They listened to the music as I grew up, but it was also mixed in with 80s and modern (when I was a child) 90s music. However, I often to came to be annoyed by the music that my family played and found it annoying. I think the real beginning of this turnaround was in the mid 2000s (my teens). Before then I listened to modern pop and rock. I listened to whatever was on the current radio stations. However, pop began to really change around that time, or at least the station I liked did. I remember complaining about what I called too much "dance" music. That's really vague and TBH, I can't even remember what I was describing. But I speculate it's like today's pop music, very beat focused with too much synth and autotune, and strange noises. (It may have also played more rap and hip hop, which I did not like at all)

It was then that I began to search for other stations to listen to. I stumbled upon a station that played mainly 70s/80s with some 60s. This really began my journey to liking older music. As time went on a lot of the 80s music became annoying to me, but the 70s did not. I liked 70s Soft Rock (like Bread, America, Eagles, etc.) the most and Soul/R&B (60s and 70s) as well. It was also during this time that I got into classical music. How is that relevant, one may ask? The instrumentation. I began developing my tastes for instruments. Instrumentation is the most important aspect of music for me. It is during this time that I came to love woodwind instruments, also brass, orchestral strings, and keyboards (particularly harpsichord).

Instrumentation largely shaped which eras I came to like and dislike. The 80s turned to synths and drum machines and had less of anything else. This turned me away from it. As more music became easily accessible for me to listen to with the internet, I gravitated heavily toward the 60s and 70s (with much deeper dives now), again, largely because of instrumentation. But I also appreciate rock instruments of the time, such as the Hammond organ.

The thing is, the typical "sound" of pop/rock/soul/whatever 80s and beyond is typically unappealing to me. There are exceptions. I still have a soft spot for the concurrent pop/rock I listened to in the early 2000s. And there are more modern genres that I have come to like - Punk, Ska Punk, Indie Folk, etc. There's plenty of good music being made today, but outside of those genres a lot of what I do listen to being made today is looking back to the 60s and 70s.

Nostalgia, too. How can a Millennial have nostalgia for 60s/70s music? Well, high school for me is now 15 years in the past. The bands I listened to in the mid 2000s are now nostalgic for me. I have nostalgia for high school with the same exact music my parents do. LOL

That's MY personal take on it. Everyone is different. I get the feeling I'm a bit of an oddball and not representative of other Millennials' interest in oldies and classic rock.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:10 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Years ago (long before Youtube, streaming audio, etc.) I went to the Museum of TV & Radio in LA,
sat down at a listening booth, put on earphones, and a heard an actual hour of one of LA's
top 40 stations from back in the '60s. Familiar bands, e.g. the Byrds. Yet I was disappointed.
The reason, as pointed out earlier, is that what we're still playing today are the 'greatest hits,'
not the mediocre material (and even a great band like the Byrds did their share
of mediocre material... no one can record a great song every time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music