Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 PM

83 posts, read 280,155 times

Advertisements

Being 43 years old I have lived thru several great music decades like the 70's, 80's and 90's. But if we look 20 years into the future what kind of music will define this current decade? I can't think of anything. Could it be that the internet has taken away from television and radio? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Geog101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
I think it would probably be the indie rock generation (Spoon, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arcade Fire, Interpol, etc.) and the elitism associated with lesser known indie acts getting "discovered".

Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
The generation of "simplicity, manufactured artists and song and song titles"
Songs with titles like "Yeah" "Oh" "Do it" "Yo" etc. At least thats how I see it.
This should also be the Digital download decade. And pop-punk, emo as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 PM

438 posts, read 832,300 times
"Corporate-market driven music targeted to tweens" would define this decade.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
I would say Pop music. We always had (in the good old days of the 60's to early 70's) pop, but there was a whole slew of music worlds apart from pop music.

I would not categorize heavy metal, glam rock and punk as pop music although I am sure some would see at as music of the younger generation.

I often think back to just how "into" the music scene we were. We lived for our music. The album covers, the sheet music and the concerts was what we thrived on.

Are todays' kids as fanatical as we were?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
Sadly, I think we'll associate this decade with the American Idol driven consumer crap.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:36 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,172 times
Let`s not get too down in the mouth guys..There`s still more than 18 months left of it yet ..We could yet be surprised...

Old 05-12-2008, 05:01 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
Redbird 4848 makes a good point asking if todays kids are as fanatical as we were. I wish I knew. I wish they would be as fanatical. Small indie shops have been threatened (posted on another thread). Rising costs for travel hurt groups on tour and ticket prices rise as a result, lots of teens are indifferent to CD's in general and burn what they want as they can't afford to buy CD's , especially new releases at $17 to $20 a pop anyway. But like Lincolnshire said, they're can be surprises out there. But they are out there. Like Diana Krall. Her Jazz CD's are getting better all the time. And then there is Norah Jones; a very talented young lady. String Cheese Incident is a new Bluegrass band on the rise. Another talented group I saw as a warmup act for Bob Dylan was My Morning Jacket. I don't know how long they have been around, they look like keepers to me. Granted these artists have been around for a few years, but hopefully more talented people will surface.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I think it would probably be the indie rock generation (Spoon, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Arcade Fire, Interpol, etc.) and the elitism associated with lesser known indie acts getting "discovered".
I doubt it. I've never heard of any of those acts/artists you named. I have to agree with the poster who said that it would be remembered for the manufactured fluffy teenage girl type stuff - Britney Spears, Beyonce, Rhianna.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I've never heard of any of those acts/artists you named. .
Are you serious?!?!?!
YouTube - I Turn My Camera On . Ring any bells? Catchy pop tune, indie rock aesthetic, and a huge mainstream hit. There are way more examples but Spoon just comes off the top of my head

Remember in the 70s there was a lot of crap districting from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd too. Actually I wasn't alive back then...lol. But that's how I heard it was. I think we are totally going to forget the commercial crap because every generation had a boatload of it that we forgot about. Bubblegum has been out since the 60s, and I think every generation had a form of that which we don't even remember anymore. I know this wasn't the best era but "indie style" music (whether by signed or unsigned artists, which is why I say style) never really made it's way into the mainstream until this generation and I definitely see it as something this era is going to be remembered for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music