Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:51 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
My point is that no one knows where an artistic creation will go, or how it will be perceived in the future. It's a mystery. So, no, it doesn't surprise me.
My theory about artistic creations is that the cream eventually rises to the top out of the crowded space of the present.

You start to see this happening after 30 years, but it probably takes 100+ years for the dust to settle more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 10:07 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think Wayne's World (1992) kind of gave Bohemian Rhapsody a resurgence,
This is how I was introduced to Bohemian Rhapsody and the only way I will ever remember it, so in regard to the original post: Yes, I am surprised! lol

I wasn't there for all that 70s glory, we had other things going on for us kids in the 80s, 90, and 2000s. I can respect the artistry, but no lie, I turn it off whenever it comes on the radio, hahahah

Old 03-10-2023, 10:11 AM

3,507 posts, read 763,567 times
foe me this is number 2 behind rhapsody ..
https://youtu.be/kijpcUv-b8M

Old 03-10-2023, 12:03 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I have heard Bohemian Rhapsody more than enough. If it comes on the radio, I'll usually get up and change to something else. But that is also true with quite a number of famous but heard too many times songs.
I feel that way about Ozzy Ozbourne and a LOT of other artists. 50 to 60 years of rock n roll, and I hear the same ol songs by the same ol artists.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:56 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
"Bohemian Rhapsody" with it's many wildly different musical sections, is really like 5 songs in one...a lot of longer, more progressive rock songs in the 70s had that, groups like Yes...their big hit "Roundabout", or Rush's "2112"..both good examples...
even Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven ...has sections ...in this case, building from quiet ballad to bombastic hard rock finale..and one poster mentioned "Bohemian Rhapsody being impressive considering it was recorded back in 1975...recording technology was pretty good by then ...24 track studios ....even some 48 track...analog of course...today's studio recording technology is more advanced but it doesn't translate to better recordings or better songs ....I'm not hearing any Bohemian Rhapsodys or Stairway to Heavens or Won't Get Fooled Agains today.
Queen spent a week recording the operatic portion of the song layering 160 tracks of 4 voices to create it.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Toto's "Africa" is another one -- you very occasionally heard it, but it's only in the last 5 years that you hear it *all the time.* On the flip side, apparently a Peter Frampton live album was an astronomical success in the 70's, but is never played on the radio today, except maybe "i want you to show me the way."
I think what you've been hearing for the past 5 years is Weezer's cover of "Africa." It was released in 2018 and IMHO, it's difficult to tell the difference between the two. Weezer had earlier recorded a cover of "Rosanna" and was then goaded by a twitter user to "bless the rains down in Africa."

In return, Toto did a cover of their 2001 "Hash Pipe."

Old 03-10-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
foe me this is number 2 behind rhapsody ..
https://youtu.be/kijpcUv-b8M
I put it a #1 with Radio Gaga as #3. The 1981 Montreal concert video is great. Google "reaction to Somebody to Love" for videos of people seeing it for the first time.

Freddie Mercury was taken from us way to early.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Toto's Africa is another always turn off for me.

I turned off Ozzy this afternoon, maybe for the first time. Because it was an ultra soft recent ballad and I wasn't in the mood for that.

I wasn't focused that much on Ozzy in 70s and 80s (the image / reputation was pretty poor in many eyes compared to other considered great rock bands) but I go for most of his radio play catalogue these days.

Keep what you like, change off what you don't. Radio stations often try to please several different audiences in a mix but I am less willing to sit thru songs I don't like. That I give radio a chance at all is a rarer thing these days I am told.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-10-2023 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 03:53 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Toto's Africa is another always turn off for me.

I turned off Ozzy this afternoon, maybe for the first time. Because it was an ultra soft recent ballad and I wasn't in the mood for that.

I wasn't focused that much on Ozzy in 70s and 80s (the image / reputation was pretty poor in many eyes compared to other considered great rock bands) but I go for most of his radio play catalogue these days.

Keep what you like, change off what you don't. Radio stations often try to please several different audiences in a mix but I am less willing to sit thru songs I don't like. That I give radio a chance at all is a rarer thing these days I am told.
You're right. And in this day and age with Amazon, Spotify, Youtube...I can get as much variety as I want, or listen to my favorite song over and over and over until I get tired of it. lol

Old 03-12-2023, 08:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I feel that way about Ozzy Ozbourne and a LOT of other artists. 50 to 60 years of rock n roll, and I hear the same ol songs by the same ol artists.
The only Ozbourne I really listened to was Black Sabbath, in high school. I liked it a lot then, but when I got into college, I got into Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Carlos Santana, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, CSN - and I lost my taste for Black Sabbath pretty quickly. Even those latter bands - while I still think they were great, and really enjoy them as a change of pace even today, I just can't listen to the same thing for 40+ years - I want to hear new artists and new music styles, plus my taste has gradually evolved over my life.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-12-2023 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music