Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,784,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What shouldn't take that much talent is to recognize an obvious joke....
A joke or sarcasm? A joke has a punch line...that post was presented like it was something she actually witnessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
A joke or sarcasm? A joke has a punch line...that post was presented like it was something she actually witnessed.
Oh my God. Loosen up.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,040,535 times
I listen to rap. Some of it is purely crap, others are tolerable. Some actually are entertaining...

Someone may have said it already (still sifting through the thread) but for me it's more about the bastardization of the American language that bothers me. It shows no real intelligence on the spoken word as defined by the simple dictionary. It's a celebration of lower standards.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,972,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was thinking the same thing. As someone who listens to all genres of music I know that you can't judge rap based on what you see on television. For every song you can provide with about something negative I can provide a positive one.

What about Ludacris "Runaway Love"
Lyfe Jennings "Sex"
Common "Come Close To Me"
Tu Pac "Keep Ya Head Up"

I could go on for days. The people who make those blanket statements about rap being crap are the ones who have never listened to anything and don't know anything about it.
don't forgot Nas: I know I can

Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 PM

990 posts, read 1,727,983 times
Default Why do people hate rap?

Because they have good taste.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times
I've always wondered if in 20 years "Rap" will be playing on the golden oldies stations.

Hard to imagine

Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,913,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
I listen to rap. Some of it is purely crap, others are tolerable. Some actually are entertaining...

Someone may have said it already (still sifting through the thread) but for me it's more about the bastardization of the American language that bothers me. It shows no real intelligence on the spoken word as defined by the simple dictionary. It's a celebration of lower standards.
That's an interesting take on it Tailor, I find it to be more of an embracing of cultural significance for particular demographics, a way to articulate their world on their terms. Much like Shakespeare or Christopher Marlowe if you prefer ) with all the doths and thous.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,396,355 times
You know what's funny is that so many people claim they hate rap because of its full of cursing and they degrade women. I was just watching Kings of Comedy and there was more cursing on that one DVD than on any CD i have in my collection. And these are not little unimportant BET Comic View comedians, these are the huge, crossover, sold-out stadium comedians.

Hell, Chris Rock curses more than all of them on a good day and Dave Chappelle says "*****s and *******" more than a few time during his stand-up....but I guess cursing, degrading women and "bastardizing" the American language is okay if it makes us laugh

Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times
Most of the rap I see are yelled, they use as many rhyming words as they can think of, or they try to talk as fast as they can. Most if it is very juvenile stuff, so I'll never go out of my way to look for anything good. On the radio, it's all mixed together...the good (very little), the bad and the ugly. Dirty Harry would probably say this to the punk singer: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,070,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You know what's funny is that so many people claim they hate rap because of its full of cursing and they degrade women. I was just watching Kings of Comedy and there was more cursing on that one DVD than on any CD i have in my collection. And these are not little unimportant BET Comic View comedians, these are the huge, crossover, sold-out stadium comedians.

Hell, Chris Rock curses more than all of them on a good day and Dave Chappelle says "*****s and *******" more than a few time during his stand-up....but I guess cursing, degrading women and "bastardizing" the American language is okay if it makes us laugh
nope,,, don't care for that kind of humour either. Comparing the two styles of "entertainment" in such manner is not valid - one is "music" the other is "comedy". True, both, using your examples, may have excessive cursing and foul language, but the one does not necessary include the other. Might as well say that all those that like McDonalds are the same that like Steak 'n Shake - just because both serve meat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music