Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times

Advertisements

The latest in Bob Dylan's Bootleg series, "Tell Tale Signs" has 27 live, alternate, and unreleased tracks.

Check out the video: Amazon.com: Tell Tale Signs: the Bootleg Series Vol. 8: Bob Dylan: Music - Yes, that's Harry Dean Stanton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Default For Bob Dylan fans

"Tell Tale Signs" volume 8 Bootleg Series was just released today, and it's probably the best music I've heard from him in a long time. It's amazing how high the quality of this unreleased stuff is. If you go to this NPR site: Exclusive Preview: Bob Dylan's 'Tell Tale Signs' : NPR Music

Add to playlist to listen to the songs.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
Thank you Mike! Dylan has to be one of the most prolific performers of our time. There's still a lot that I haven't heard. He's truly a one of a kind. Just listened to 32-20 Blues. It says here that it was scheduled to be on World Gone Wrong. I can't figure out what drives the decisions that artists and record companies make sometimes. Right now I'm really enjoying God Knows.

Thanks again and BIG reps to ya, man - this is great stuff!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,455,496 times
Thanks for sharing this, Mike. I am listening now. I went to Amazon to put it on my wishlist. In the reviews there, people were slamming it. Not because of the music.
Because it was well over $100 for the 3 disc set! I think I will wait a few months and get it at Costco.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Thank you Mike! Dylan has to be one of the most prolific performers of our time. There's still a lot that I haven't heard. He's truly a one of a kind. Just listened to 32-20 Blues. It says here that it was scheduled to be on World Gone Wrong. I can't figure out what drives the decisions that artists and record companies make sometimes. Right now I'm really enjoying God Knows.

Thanks again and BIG reps to ya, man - this is great stuff!
Right now, I can't figure out how Daniel Lanois was able to convince Dylan that the version of "Born In Time" that wound up on 'Under the Red Sky' was the one that made it onto that record. IMO, the one that I am listening to now should have been the lead track on "Oh Mercy", instead of omitted from the album completely. This is staggering to me, for this version of "Born In Time" is one of the very best songs Dylan ever made IMO.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
When you mention giants in the music industry, like the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan is right up there with them. Square Peg is absolutely right regarding Dylan. He IS one of the most prolific artists of our time. He has put out an incredible amount of product over 45 plus years. When I think of Columbia Records recording artists, folk music in general, singer songwriters, '60's icons, the 60's counter culture movement, there is one man who does not take a back seat to anybody-Bob Dylan.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-08-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,333 times
Thanks for posting this link!! I've listened to Disk 1 and loved it! I can't believe they'd really charge $100 for a 3 cd set????

Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,365,312 times
Getting into Dylan is like diving into a bottomless pool. I love this guy. One of the few greats that I've yet to see in concert.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,365,312 times
Default All Things Bob Dylan

Wasn't the biggest fan of his until recently. But discovering Dylan's music is like wandering into a multi-textured brilliant colored, winding network of caves, yeah, you could probably find your way back to where you started if you really wanted to, but the journey is so rewarding and the jet streams of bending sunlight so misleading that you continue on, unmindfully, hopefully, happily...

Just read his book, "Chronicles," and I don't know why I would be surprised that Dylan could write a good book, but I was, and he did. Written like a novel, it's as unpredictable and stream of consciousness as the song lyrics he's so famous for:

you used to laugh about, everybody that was hangin' out.
now you don't talk so loud, now you don't feel so proud, about
having to be scrounging, your next meal...

Not one of his best lyrics, I know, but even his mediocre words were better than the best others had to offer. You remember, she breaks just like a woman, yes she does and she aches just like a woman, yes she does and she makes love just like a woman... but she breaks just like a little girl...

OR, Well you look so pretty in it, honey can I jump on it sometime?
I just wanna see if, it's really the expensive kind... that's your brand new, leopard-skin pill-box hat...

Lyrics, music, new genres, this guy reinvented himself twelve times before there was a term for that. In my mind, a true artist, as honest an artist as you'll ever find...

You like him? Talk about his music, his life, his unwillingness to speak for his generation or any generation since. Just a troubadour, more of the likes of a Woody Guthrie than a John Lennon, you wanna talk about a guy who's always had courage of his convictions? Musical convictions that is, the other kind of the social or political ilk, your guess is as good as mine...

Last edited by ExPit; 11-17-2008 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: what, you again? i still don't know why i gotta tell you.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM

251 posts, read 413,702 times
Saw him in '95. It was bad. Saw him again last week. It was worse. Never said Hello. Never said a word. Never said Good Bye or Thank You. Mumbled his way through the entire show. What a waste of time. And money. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music