Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,510,260 times

Advertisements

Anita Baker
Gladys Knight
Linda Ronstadt
Karen Carpenter
Mama Cass Elliot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but Yes, Karen Carpenter had one of the most sensuous voices ever.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,355,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

Amy Lee has a beautiful voice.
Just her material don't fit the topic.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 AM

824 posts, read 2,795,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Interestingly, June Christy never learned to read music.
Shirley Bassey also
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but Yes, Karen Carpenter had one of the most sensuous voices ever.
Just the sound of her voice makes me cry. I love KC. A little comic relief:
YouTube - Superstar

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,338,337 times
I agree with every one of you... another name I would like to add is a French one; her voice isn't as sexy but it's compelling...

Patricia Kaas (kinda put me in the mind of Tierney Sutton)... take a listen.

(From Album - Piano Bar)

Patricia Kaas
- Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes)

YouTube - Patricia Kaas - Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes)

or audio only
Patricia Kaas - Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes) - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Patricia Kaas - The Summer Knows (Un ete)
Patricia Kaas - the summer knows - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

I love various voices depending on my purpose/mood... from Billie Holiday to Anita Baker/Sade... I can only sneak away 2-4 mins at a time before I'm missed otherwise I would give examples now....

Enjoying this thread and looking forward to expanding my exposure to other artists thru your favorite works! Thanks :-)

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 01-20-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,666,706 times
In this category asked by the OP for me it's always been Carly Simon.

YouTube - Carly Simon -The Right Thing To Do 1972

Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
I think Tony Tennille is still missing from the list. I though somebody would mention her.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,511,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
I agree with every one of you... another name I would like to add is a French one; her voice isn't as sexy but it's compelling...

Patricia Kaas (kinda put me in the mind of Tierney Sutton)... take a listen.

(From Album - Piano Bar)

Patricia Kaas
- Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes)

YouTube - Patricia Kaas - Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes)

or audio only
Patricia Kaas - Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes) - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Patricia Kaas - The Summer Knows (Un ete)
Patricia Kaas - the summer knows - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

I love various voices depending on my purpose/mood... from Billie Holiday to Anita Baker/Sade... I can only sneak away 2-4 mins at a time before I'm missed otherwise I would give examples now....

Enjoying this thread and looking forward to expanding my exposure to other artists thru your favorite works! Thanks :-)
Very nice.

Certainly not the first time that "Autumn Leaves" was recorded with French lyrics--witness this fine recording (admittedly, with a male vocalist, Ozzie Bailey) by the Duke Ellington Orchestra. Probably one of the most beautiful jazz violin solos ever recorded, as well. This from the 1957 or '58 album--"Ellington Indigos." Interestingly, the original vinyl LP only had a version with English lyrics--this version laid in the vaults until the album was re-released on CD.

Duke Ellington – Autumn Leaves (Alternate Take) – Listen free and discover music at Last.fm

Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,539,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post

YouTube - Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger (Live at Royal Albert Hall) (ok, this one isn't exactly romantic, but sensuous and sexy, you bet)

YouTube - Shirley Bassey I (WHO HAVE NOTHING) (Jordin Sparks did a great job, now check this out)

GREAT Singer!

One of my favorites is her rendition of What Are You Doing the Rest of your Life?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,924,336 times
One of the great lady jazz vocalists that rarely gets talked about is Morgana King. Her very early albums go back to 1959 or so with United Artists records and Ascot records, one of U-A's subsidiary labels. Then she put out a few albums on the Mainstream label, and A Taste of Honey is one of the great albums from that period I would recommend. She does a great job on the title cut.

She later went to Reprise Records and recorded several lp's and also recorded on Verve, Mercury,Muse (several lp's) and other labels. Hobby wise, all her stuff is popular with the jazz people. Try finding her Mercury lp MG20231; VERY collectible! She also done some acting. I remember her in a bit part in the 1972 movie The Godfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music