Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,268,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I guess I'd have to go back to the OP to see if the intent was to define music or to just give rap it's worth as an artistic experience. I mean the truth is, what is the difference, who really cares whether we can attribute the term, 'music' to rap or not. If you like it, good. Listen to it and have a ball. If not, don't, but either way live and let live. I think I already said that I was still in my teens when rap came out and I did like some of it. But for me it's not in the same league as jazz, rock, standards, etc, as an artistic experience. I am also a big fan of the written and 'spoken' word. But when I want to listen to "music" (never did I think the use of the word would be so tenuous), I want to hear instruments played expertly and creatively. I want melody lines and lyrics that seem to have always existed in the heavens, until some blessed medium lassoed them from the skies, and I want prodigious singers, the kind that can do what very few of us can. But that's just me, I'm sure it's not most of you. So what?
I have to agree with you, if you like it listen to it.... But don't tell me it's music.. That'd be like me kicking three cans down the street and calling it music.. I've tried to show them what real talent is but so far no comments from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,370,788 times
Ok, so what's the expression? One man's poison is another man's meat, or we could say, one man's music is another man's noise...

I guess all I'm saying is labeling it music or noise or poison or meat makes no difference either way.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,025,017 times
Rap to me isn't music but more like the beatnik rhyming that went on in the late 50's.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,728,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
This 7 year old fiddler has more talent than the scratcher does....

YouTube - 7 Year Old Fiddler Laura Watson Part 2
Maybe so but she does not have more poetry talent than Q-Tip or Tupac.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
It would even be better if he could do this... TALENT....

YouTube - ECHO BOOGIE

YouTube - Hello Mary Lou
Neither can create poetry lines with metphors and similies to the ability of Mos Def, Immortal Technique or Diabolic.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I guess I'd have to go back to the OP to see if the intent was to define music or to just give rap it's worth as an artistic experience. I mean the truth is, what is the difference, who really cares whether we can attribute the term, 'music' to rap or not. If you like it, good. Listen to it and have a ball. If not, don't, but either way live and let live. I think I already said that I was still in my teens when rap came out and I did like some of it. But for me it's not in the same league as jazz, rock, standards, etc, as an artistic experience. I am also a big fan of the written and 'spoken' word. But when I want to listen to "music" (never did I think the use of the word would be so tenuous), I want to hear instruments played expertly and creatively. I want melody lines and lyrics that seem to have always existed in the heavens, until some blessed medium lassoed them from the skies, and I want prodigious singers, the kind that can do what very few of us can. But that's just me, I'm sure it's not most of you. So what?
Well do that. You do not have to listen to poetry in motion if you do not want to.

I do not think most music genres are in the same league as jazz or classical, not just hip hop.

"I want melody lines and lyrics that seem to have always existed in the heavens, until some blessed medium lassoed them from the skies, and I want prodigious singers, the kind that can do what very few of us can."-Most music does not meet these standards you have.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Neither can create poetry lines with metphors and similies to the ability of Mos Def, Immortal Technique or Diabolic.
Rap is poetry yes, music no.. The topic of this thread is "People who say rap is NOT music"

Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you, if you like it listen to it.... But don't tell me it's music.. That'd be like me kicking three cans down the street and calling it music.. I've tried to show them what real talent is but so far no comments from them.
Terrible comment and simile. If it's not music, then what is it?

I know what real talent is, I am an instrumentalist myself but there are challenges associated with rapping. Only some can pull it off and do it well.

Keep in mind that many on here do not play music instruments so that is kind of unfair to just focus on scratching when there are other aspects to hip hop.

In my eyes jazz and hip hop can go hand in hand with one another and have many similiarities. I just consider hip hop to be a verbal way of expressing oneself.

But for all of you who bash hip hop, I want to see any of you create some hip hop lines like that of the great rappers then we can talk.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Olympic torch flaming, we burn so sweet
The thrill of victory, the agony, defeat
We crush slow, flamin deluxe slow
For, judgment day cometh, conquer, it's war
Allow us to escape, hell glow spinning bomb
Pocket full of shells out the sky, Golden Arms
Tune spit the ****ty Mortal Kombat sound
The fateful step make, the blood stain the ground
A jungle junkie, vigilante tantrum
A death kiss, catwalk, squeeze another anthem
Hold it for ransom, tranquilized with anesthetics
My orchestra, graceful, music ballerinas
My music Sicily, rich California smell
An axekiller adventure, paint a picture well
I sing a song from Sing-Sing, sippin on ginseng
Righteous wax chaperone, rotating ring king

This too, is talent. Poetry is music. Music is poetry.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Maybe so but she does not have more poetry talent than Q-Tip or Tupac.

You mean like this?????? Watch video below, but send your children out of the room tho.

I'd still say the kid has more true musical talent then both o them combined.

You do understand this thread was about rap being TRUE music don't you?

YouTube - Tupac - Hit Em Up(Uncensored)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music