Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

It's usually another song that becomes my favorite, unfortunately!

Examples:

Rick Springfield's "Affair of the Heart" is a much better song than "Jessie's Girl".
Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop" is much better than "Girls Just Want to Have Fun"
Gary Wright's "Really Want to Know You" is superior to "Dream Weaver"
The Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post" is better than "Ramblin Man".
Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold" is far better than "Cat Scratch Fever".
Leo Sayer's "Living in A Fantasy" is better than "More Than I Can Say".
Kim Carnes' "I Pretend" is better than "Bette Davis Eyes".

I could go on... Does anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:59 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
I agree, most definitely. For all my favorite artists my favorite song is probably not a hit at all, or at least not a major hit. When something gets played to death on the radio it's no fun anymore, plus when most other people don't know a song I love I feel like it's more my song. I know other people out there know it for sure but it still seems more special when 12-year-olds haven't requested it endlessly without knowing what it really means.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
One of R.E.M.'s most popular songs is Losing My Religion. I can't listen to that song at all but luckily for me several other songs on the album it came from - Out of Time - are better so 1991 wasn't so bad...

Another song, The One I Love and It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine) off of Document were really popular, too. But nowhere as good as Finest Worksong, Exhuming McCarthy, and Lightnin' Hopkins.

I could keep going but I don't want to bore everyone with my R.E.M. flashbacks...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
'Smooth' by Santana and Matchbox 20.

I hate that song

Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
I love every Creedence song that's played on the radio, but "Penthouse Pauper", which is never played on the radio, is my absolute favorite. Creedence's "Bootleg" comes a close second, and that's never played on the radio either.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I agree the same. So many of my favorite artists, their most popular song is not my favorite.

Just goes to show you when the producers or the radio stations try and guess what the listeners will like, they are wrong as often as the
politicians guessing what they think we will like.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I agree. B J Thomas "Hooked on a Feeling" is way overplayed; while it is a good song in its own rite, I like Most of All, The Eyes of a New York Woman, I Just can't help Believin', for starters. You never ever hear "New York Woman" ever, ever.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
An excellent example is Pink Floyd and Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 or Money. Ask any idiot off the street and they will probably only be able to name those two songs. Meanwhile, One of These Days is probably my favorite. Actually, Meddle is probably my fav album.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's usually another song that becomes my favorite, unfortunately!

I would call that fortunate, and not UNfortunate. There's nothing unfortunate about listening to more than one song by an artist you like.

I almost always like the deeper cuts off an album. "Thriller" is a good song, but in my opinion it's only the fouth best song on the Thriller album.

From Led Zeppelin 4, "Stairway to Heaven" is the most popular song, and is very good, but I like "Misty Mountain Hop" better.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
An excellent example is Pink Floyd and Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 or Money. Ask any idiot off the street and they will probably only be able to name those two songs. Meanwhile, One of These Days is probably my favorite. Actually, Meddle is probably my fav album.

They won't even be able to name those two, since most idiots on the street think that one is called "We Don't Need No Education."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music