Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bob Seger or Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger 87 63.04%
Bruce Springsteen 51 36.96%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Seger all the way in every way!!! Apparently Springsteen has a following in the NE. Bob Seger was very talented. IMO
Agree, satx56. Earlier in this thread we discussed what may have been different had Seger had the "machinery" of NYC behind him when releasing a new LP or CD. Some thought a more even comparison, although not the title of the thread, would be Bob Seger vs. John Cougar Mellencamp.

WOW - can you actually get more stars than YOU have, satx45? IMPRESSIVE!

I selected this vid, despite it being from 3 years ago, as others wondered if Seger had toured past ~ 2000.

YouTube - Bob Seger LIVE Night Moves Kansas City, MO 12/2/06

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Yep MSR ! I realize everyone has there own taste in music there's no changing it. Seger has many songs I love.. Mellencamp maybe two or three. Bruce "Born in the USA" is the only thing I remotely like from him. I'm no connoisseur of music. But, I did grow up around musicians and jam sessions. I do have a wide range of taste in music. Ronnie Milsap has many, many songs I really like! BTW , Night Moves was Seger's first to catch my ear.

YouTube - Bob Seger - Turn the Page

YouTube - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Shame On The Moon

I wouldn't try to change someones opinion. But , I'm willing to share mine. It's nice to have others agree with you. Some do some don't! Thanks MSR!!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Having grown up on the Jersey Shore, it was almost like we were issued a Springsteen album with our 8th grade diploma's! There's something about Bruce's music and showmanship that transcend not only our area, but it's something that people can relate to globally.

Now with that being said, Bruce is the #1 offender in my "Shut Up and Sing" category. I hate his political beliefs and I feel that the concert hall should not be a pulpit to a captive audience. Thank mercy that an E Street Band show offers so much to the crowds that you can overlook his politics.

Speaking of the E Streeter's, what a great bunch these guys (and gal) are! From the Big Man to Max, Nils to Miami Steve, the Professor to Big Red, they put on one helluva show! I can't explain how much fun one of their concerts can be to a newbie!

It's also really cool how he can team up with so many other musical masters... I love that Roy Orbison "Black & White" special they always run on PBS. Bruce is featured in that one. I also have to wonder why Bruce wasn't a Traveling Wilbury. I think he would have fit in perfectly with his buddy's Petty, Dylan, Orbison, etc.

Switching gears...I also dig Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. I was a big fan in the late 70's and early 80's. Check this out... when we saw them play at the old Brendan Byrne Arena in NJ, Bob Seger called Roy Bittain down from the audience to play a song with them. Roy was seated one row in front of us, so it was really cool! When he came back to his seat, everyone was high-fiving him and he played along with the crowd. On the downside, I can live without seeing another Chevy truck commercial with the "Like a Rock" soundtrack!

So, I like them both alot! But, I have to give the edge to Bruce. I can just relate better to his songs and the whole bag of NJ area references.

Last edited by Stripes17; 11-17-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I like 'em both, but if forced to choose I'll have to go with Bob Seger. In the interest of full disclosure, I might have some local bias since I'm from MI. Seger's music is so much more personal. I've never really appreciated political music. I also agree that Mellencamp belongs in this grouping, and I'd probably have to put him before Springsteen as well.

Live Bullet is one of the best live albums ever recorded, IMO.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Man I need to get to the music threads more often been a busy summer now inside more so I'll have to remember to come here again.

Bob Seger baby from this Mid-western fan I thought he ruled the mid-west since he was from MI???

Famous Final Scene was a sleeper that should have been larger as a single I think.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Hey all, I've added a poll to this thread, way late, but better than none at all.

I like Bob Seger far better; I call his stuff "Music for Guys" and I'm listening to him right now. My favorite is Hollywood Nights.

YouTube - Hollywood Nights
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
Listen folks seger is fukin great and yes way better then bruce, just think before 1974 bob had 7 lp's out already, are they all great, no but they have some great kickass songs here are a few you might want to checkout and iam talking pure rock@roll bruce has never had any better then these plus bruce cant match bob seger voice in these early songs, east side story. Lucifer. 2+2.heavy music. U.m.c. Looking back. Check these out people then tell us how much better bruce is then seger.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Seger and I have been going to Katmandu since 1975 and still love the trip!!

Bruce who??

Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Who do you think is better: Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band or Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band ? I have to give it up to Seger. Seger is a better songwriter. Seger has a better voice by far. Seger wrote better ballads. Springsteen gave a better live concert, though Seger was not far behind him in his prime.

I like Springsteen, but I just feel like he was/is not anyway near as gifted as Seger. Of course Springsteen is considered Seger's better by the press, and the public at large, but I don't buy into it. Curious to hear what you all think about it.
I like both, but Seger has way more good songs. Like in excess of 100.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6700 View Post
Listen folks seger is fukin great and yes way better then bruce, just think before 1974 bob had 7 lp's out already, are they all great, no but they have some great kickass songs here are a few you might want to checkout and iam talking pure rock@roll bruce has never had any better then these plus bruce cant match bob seger voice in these early songs, east side story. Lucifer. 2+2.heavy music. U.m.c. Looking back. Check these out people then tell us how much better bruce is then seger.
This one is even before The Silver Bullet Band as it were.

The Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music