Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

I've searched and most of the the comments made about either TSO-East or TSO -West are somewhat outdated. After all, it has been at least a year or more.

Great NEWS for anyone who isn't a member............ Check their website and get moving wherever you secure your tickets for TSO.

Additionally, long-awaited news:

KNIGHT CASTLE is being released as a double CD!!!!

I do realize most die-hard fans are in its finally coming out. What is ~ 5 years late, among friends, right? It sounds like Paul just couldn't bear to remove certain songs.

So let's crank up this forum when our some of most favorite musicians are getting ready to tour for 2009/10, along with finally being able to talk about Knight Castle plans.

We all have our favorite performers with TSO so NO COMPARING. Tell what you like about one's performance, but please don't compare. The shows do an amazing job to present almost identical shows regardless if they are enroute to Canada and at a small stop on the way, or MSG.

Since none of us have control of which musicians go on which tour, what was different in your respective tour (E or W) by the changing of some personnel last year? What did the east learn about the talents of Anna Phoebe and Johnny Lee Middleton? Conversely, what did the west see about Mark Wood and Chris Altenhoff? All pics may not be posted for this year yet, but if they are (as the tour is), then we are in for some more personnel changes.

Were we in awe as always???????? I was.

My one personal note is wishing good health and safe travels to all who travel the thousands of miles for more than two months/year to bring us their messages and talents of music (and their enormous staff of drivers, riggers etc. as Al says, no one is getting younger). And Al, please be as careful with your knee this year as possible.

Also, I was just curious, does anyone know of any other band that gives a check to charity in each city where they play? It seems like Paul O'Neill tries to teach so many principles in words and music, but who can miss the story when $1.00 from each ticket goes back to a local charity in need (like local food banks or homeless shelters)? Does this message not inspire you as much as it does me?

Can't wait to start reading the line up and reviews for both tours. I'm also looking forward to reading your posts of your experiences with these musicians who personal meet the members of their audiences when they can. I have some favorite memories of the meets and greets and I suspect others do as well. Hopefully, some who have posted in the "TSO Community" will also post here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlm1bOlbSg

Mtn. States Resident (MSR)

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 09-01-2009 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Lightbulb The 2009-10 Tour Started Sunday

Has anyone here attended some of the first concerts of this touring season? If so, please post.

I was surprised Mark Wood will NOT be touring this year. With Anna Phoebe back to be the Concert Master in the east (I think everyone prefers using the term "Master" to "Mistress" all factors considered), I am clueless who is heading up the strings in the west. Mark had a younger female with him last year. I don't know if she'll be taking over the duties or not.

Please post any vids or info you have.

The main TSO website now includes Night Castle and will allow one to play one of the Christmas CDs right from that site:

Check the tour, the band, the link to Night Castle, the words etc. from the major site:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Official website (http://www.trans-siberian.com/index-main.php - broken link)

It looks like TSO - West is in Colorado Springs tonight. Isn't that where Angus wiped out about 2 years ago? It was either the Springs or Denver, but I thought it was the Springs.

If anyone attends, let us know what it's like. Suppose to be bigger and better than before. Also, probably more of Night Castle is being played - just a guess on my part.

Looking forward to your posts and vids.

MSR

Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Lightbulb Night Castle

After hearing "Night Castle" and reading the lyricsand poetry, I understand why it took 5 years.

If you've heard the CD, what are your favorite songs? I think it is great how Paul worked in earlier Savatage music. I love how "Epiphany," about half way through uses the same music used in "What Child is This," from "The Lost Christmas Eve." Despite not being a Christmas album, some themes are common such as an adult asking what happened since a child was born that changed where s/he asking how come the child didn't grow to be what he could have been.

This is "Believe," live in Philly last year. At least now we know the order of the songs and how they fit in.

The take home message of the double CD: "Believe," which was previously released with Savatage.

YouTube - Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Believe " in Philly

Enjoy!

MSR

Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,105,608 times
Beautiful MSR-San! My first exposure to Savatage was through the Metal
thread... the song posted above... So heartfelt! ... gives me goosebumps...

rare

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Cool Christmas Eve 12/24 MAY have been the first Savatage You Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareWonder View Post
Beautiful MSR-San! My first exposure to Savatage was through the Metal
thread... the song posted above... So heartfelt! ... gives me goosebumps...

rare
Hi rare,

"Believe" was dedicated to Criss Oliva at the TSO East performances in 2008. Johnny Lee Middleton toured with the east for the first time so besides Johnny Lee, Jeff Plate and Chris Caffery were altogether to remember their friend. It has been 15 years since his death. I'm sure the song sounds a little different now with the tweaking of Paul O'Neill and adding an orchestra.

Probably one of the Savatage songs you've heard before but may not have known it was THEE cross-over song that launched TSO is Sarajevo 12/24. It is an updated version of Carol of the Bells, but one that Savatage had recorded before TSO was ever born. It was the reason TSO was born, as you probably know.

YouTube - Trans-Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo - 12/24"

This is the original TSO vid of it shown on the DVD "Ghosts of Christmas Eve." There are several live versions of varying length and quality. Also the encore plays a short version of Saravejo 12/24 as "back stage," took TSO Music to new heights.

This last video shows Anna Phoebe and Angus Clark touring in the west the first year Anna joined TSO and the first year of "the back stage." I'm hoping someone can help me remember what two musicians from the east did this adventure.

Anna and Angus got it down to a science so they could play almost the entire time. Of course those two also played while running up arena stairs and back. Good idea to separate them after a while - we need them able to PLAY their instruments.

Enjoy what you can see from this Oklahoma City video from 2005.

YouTube - Anna Phoebe TSO trans-siberian orchestra Oklahoma 2005

I think you'll like a lot of the music on Night Castle....O Fortuna and others that are familiar to many.

Enjoy the memories and the music.

MSR

Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Default O Fortuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hi rare,

Enjoy what you can see from this Oklahoma City video from 2005.

YouTube - Anna Phoebe TSO trans-siberian orchestra Oklahoma 2005

I think you'll like a lot of the music on Night Castle....O Fortuna and others that are familiar to many.

Enjoy the memories and the music.

MSR
ah MSR-San ... truly enjoyable

O Fortuna from Carmina Burana

YouTube - O Fortuna from Carmina Burana

and the world has such dimension...
truly feel sooooo delighted when the world's sense
of time and order prevails in the name of love...
thank Thee for all Thee do for all

rare

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

Lightbulb TSO teaches so many lessons: Paul O'Neill teaches by example (IMHO)

rare,

For me, I learned totally new meanings of love when I first attended a TSO concert. As I originally posted, what other rock band donates $1.00 from every ticket to a local charity, such as a food bank, homeless shelter or child abuse intervention center etc.?

There are so many ways these musicians give, give, and give. IMHO, it comes from Paul O'Neill naturally leading by example. How many times has someone seen him give a guitar he played during the show to a child in the audience? Or the jacket he was wearing? There are so many stories of what Paul has given others on the TSO web page.

Even access to the music now and all the lyrics/poetry for no cost, Paul O'Neill and a selected group of his friends, seem to really understand the principle that people who give the most receive the most. It may not always be in dollars and cents; rather, it may be knowing the worth of one's soul and values, or the difference one made in the life of someone else.

This is a cool video. It appears there was a fire in NC recently, which destroyed a family's home. Because TSO was in the area (probably rehearsing or scouting talent), they heard about the fire. Listen to the video and listen to Paul talk of what TSO volunteered to do to help.

</title></head>"+"<body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;"+"window.parent.StateManager.restore(decod eURIComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+encode URIComponent(state)+"</body></html>");h.clo

Some who are cyanical may say this was free publicity. TSO doesn't need it, they are already doing two shows in that area of NC. Plus, this is just one of hundreds of acts of helping those truly in need. Reading the posts on the TSO website, I've been touched several times how Paul seems to naturally know who needs the support of others who care. I'm very familiar with a local story where I am, but it was not a news item. Paul O'Neill and TSO asked for nothing in return for how they changed a family's life. Paul saw a chance to make a difference for a family and a disabled child and did it. I think he must be a very inspired man.

What if every band or artist we post in the music section had a similar policy? A dollar from every ticket back to a local human services charity, then doing all the good deeds TSO does, while not requesting the publicity for their actions. It seems to me a lot of people could benefit, and a lot of artists could make a much bigger difference living in the world and helping others daily, instead of entertaining those who buy their music or attend their concerts.

Life is hard for most people in one aspect or another. Fortunately, for those of us alive today, Paul O'Neill was given insight and story telling abilities, let alone his prolific music and lyrics, to inspire us to keep trying to be better people.

"Ornament" also from the above-mentioned DVD, is a favorite of mine. Al Pitrelli has also said it is probably his favorite song of the entire concert. For those who know the story of the runaway daughter and what trasnpires so she can be home on a special Christmas Day, they understand that the Ornament is not a decoration. Rather, a lost child who has found her way back home.

With Tommy Farese doing the honors:

YouTube - Trans-Siberian Orchestra - ORNAMENT

Thanks for posting, rare. There is a lot of good in the world if we look for it, and highlight it for ourselves and others.

MSR

Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Default good in the world :)

thank Thee MSR-San... for keeping us aware of such things...
many artists have special community service projects...

and many communities need help.... one of my most dear issues
is clean water... www.charitywater.org

Time Warp water drops

YouTube - Time Warp water drops

rare

Old 11-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Cool A Brief Look at This Year's Laser's (TURN YOUR SOUND DOWN!) - TSO- West

A clip from the Wichita, KS show. Unfortunately, the sound is not good most of the way.

But a view of this and what I post next of TSO-East will give fans a quick view of some of the changes this year.

ENJOY the lasers and other parts. I'm confident we'll get better vids to post.

YouTube - Trans Siberian Orchestra 2009 Wichita Ks

MSR

Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Lightbulb TSO East and an Easy Christmas Canon Rock

This label is mislabeled as Youngstown, OH. IT is NOT. It was shot in MI. This is TSO - East as any loyal fan knows.

Clues might include Bob Kinkel, not Jane Mangini at keyboards, Chris, Johnny Lee, Alex on stage with Anna on violin. I've never seen Chris Caffery so quiet. Is everything ok with him? I hope so. How these musicians stay as well as they do while touring their jammed schedule (so many days with 2 performances) amazes me.

The sound is clear for this video. I hope you enjoy it.

YouTube - TSO - 2009 tour

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music