Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times

Advertisements

This is probably cheating, but my friends and I spent months trying to figure out what they were saying, figuring there was a hidden message. We were young.

YouTube - The Beatles-Number Nine READ DESCRIPTION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Okay. Time for confessions.

This song came out when I was in high school and my sister was in her first year of jr. high (yeah, we used to call them junior highs and they included 7th-9th grade).

So, I loved it for the pureness of the story. I was quite convinced it was about a dragon named Puff and a little boy named Jackie.

Then my know-it-all little sister told me it was about drugs. Pot. "Nah" I said. "It's about a little boy and his pet." This went on for a long time.
Many years later (and I do mean "many") I found out that it really was about pot smoking. Duh.

I have no problem with pot smoking but I don't know.....honestly, it was kind of like finding out about my dad being Santa Claus.

YouTube - Peter, Paul and Mary -Puff The Magic Dragon

Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
What!!! I'd never heard that before. Check out Snopes to regain that lost innocence. snopes.com: Puff the Magic Dragon and Marijuana

Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,867 times
That's funny, reminds me of a ZZ Top song that was ruined for me through similar means.

YouTube - R.E.M. - Moral Kiosk
I love the whole album but have no idea what it's about.
Somehow it doesn't seem to matter much...

Okay I just did a search:
Scratch the scandals in the twilight
Trying to shock but instead
Idle hands all orient to her
Pass a magic pillow under head
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk
Inside, cold, dark, fire, twilight
They scratch the scandals in the twilight
She was laughing like a Horae
Put that knee in dour landslide
Take this step to dash a roving eye
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk
(repeat chorus)

LOL'ing
I think I liked it better when I could imagine the lyrics being anything I wanted.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

This song came out when I was in high school and my sister was in her first year of jr. high (yeah, we used to call them junior highs and they included 7th-9th grade).

So, I loved it for the pureness of the story. I was quite convinced it was about a dragon named Puff and a little boy named Jackie.

Then my know-it-all little sister told me it was about drugs. Pot. "Nah" I said. "It's about a little boy and his pet." This went on for a long time.
Many years later (and I do mean "many") I found out that it really was about pot smoking. Duh.

I have no problem with pot smoking but I don't know.....honestly, it was kind of like finding out about my dad being Santa Claus.
When my older brother graduated from High School one of his friends told me that and I was mad.

As others mention though it turns out it's not even true. One thing that really made it "hit me" is one of the members saying something like "If we wanted to sing about marijuana we would have sang about marijuana" and I think that's true. They were a hippie type group and there are songs from then that say "Mary Jane" or talk about getting high. At the very least I think they would have made the allusions to marijuana more overt and made the tone something other than a children's song. Like in Jefferson Airplane's, Grace Slick specifically, song "White Rabbit" it's pretty clear they're singing about drugs even if it's ostensibly about Lewis Carroll stories. (That being said Sid and Marty Kroft likely did put in drug-references in their children's programming ala H. R. Puff-N-Stuff. However they were makers of children's entertainment so may not have had the outlet to discuss drug-use in the way a folk-group could)

One I remember causing confusion in my youth was "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. My mom was convinced it was about sex or prostitution or something. Other people said it was about a murder. Possibly it was just about his divorce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riw7j9b8fM8

Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,013,417 times

YouTube - My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,761 times

YouTube - Duran Duran - The Reflex

Old 10-25-2009, 02:39 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

YouTube - Peter, Paul and Mary -Puff The Magic Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What!!! I'd never heard that before. Check out Snopes to regain that lost innocence. snopes.com: Puff the Magic Dragon and Marijuana
Ah, thank you, Dockside, the voice of soothing reason! Now my childhood can remain intact.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 AM

428 posts, read 620,697 times
Default Todo Amor do Mundo

YouTube - Todo Amor do Mundo featuring Nego Elias and C Dala

Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,013,417 times

YouTube - Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures Of Matchstick Men

Too trippy I guess, I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music