Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM

839 posts, read 985,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
Well put, and I so agree: the search IS part of the fun. I'm loving the end of year lists for best in different genres. We music lovers are always on the look out for something new and interesting. Could you imagine anyone saying, "they don't make Twinkies like they used to, so there's just no food out there for me"? But people, as we see on this forum, say that all the time about music, and real music lovers just scratch their heads. And then turn up the tunes.
That's what I find surprising and disappointing about this music forum and its the reason why I have largely avoided posting in this forum despite being a regular poster in other forums here on city-data.com. You would think that people who are passionate about music and have enough time to post in forums about music would actually be spending time reading the major music sites and finding great music! Yet, for the most part the threads in this forum seem focused on older music and top 40 pop. I really just don't get it. As I've recommended now a couple of times, those of you are are really interested in contemporary music, particularly music that is generally considered a part of the broad spectrum known as 'indie,' you should really consider going over to the forums at Metacritic.com - there are a lot of really serious music fans there who are well versed in the indie scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:03 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,417,612 times
us kids from the 80's are getting old we grew up in a diffrent era with some wicked rock bands that kids still listen too some of the new age stuff is missing some of the attitude and showmanship we had. most 80's bands were over the top and larger than life and that's what made them great.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:40 AM

204 posts, read 619,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
That's what I find surprising and disappointing about this music forum and its the reason why I have largely avoided posting in this forum despite being a regular poster in other forums here on city-data.com. You would think that people who are passionate about music and have enough time to post in forums about music would actually be spending time reading the major music sites and finding great music! Yet, for the most part the threads in this forum seem focused on older music and top 40 pop. I really just don't get it. As I've recommended now a couple of times, those of you are are really interested in contemporary music, particularly music that is generally considered a part of the broad spectrum known as 'indie,' you should really consider going over to the forums at Metacritic.com - there are a lot of really serious music fans there who are well versed in the indie scene.
Thanks for the tip on Metacritic. I've used that site in the past but never the forums. I briefly clicked on and bookmarked it for when I have more time. Lists! Lots of end of year lists. And with a quick scan of the page I saw a band whose name made me chuckle....Swollen Members. I am so Beavis and Butthead . Thanks!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:22 AM

5,544 posts, read 7,154,072 times
My business partner, who was about 15yo in 1940, loved jazz/blues to the point of collecting 78s till they practically filled his house. Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Fats Waller were favorites.

Immortals, y'know..

He became a very good professional jazz drummer, self-taught from the records.

So guess what his parents kept yelling at him when he was a kid.

Spoiler
"WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THAT (n-word) MUSIC?!

Their taste in music probably ran the gamut from "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag" to "Over There" to "Oh, Susanna".

And, their favorite film musicals? Nelson Eddy and Jeannette MacDonald.
[I wish C-D had a smilie depicting hurling.]

Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 AM

12,967 posts, read 13,762,726 times
I think the role that (popular) music plays in society and in the entertainment activities of young people is not nearly the same as it was in the dawn of the age of pop music. How many patriotic songs are big hits today? I can think of only a few.
Before radio, record players (Victoria's) Pianos, and sheet music were things only upper class people could afford.

I think the most inherent problem with the music industry is that really good music is not profitable. By that I mean if you were to put Quincy Jones, Bette Midler, Boz Scaggs, Stevie wonder,( and who ever else is on your list of greats) in a studio, no doubt you would get an award winning project for the books , but they couldn't out sell Taylor Swift.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
Thanks for the tip on Metacritic. I've used that site in the past but never the forums. I briefly clicked on and bookmarked it for when I have more time. Lists! Lots of end of year lists. And with a quick scan of the page I saw a band whose name made me chuckle....Swollen Members. I am so Beavis and Butthead . Thanks!!!
Yeah, well, it's that time of the year! The posters at Metacritic (including myself) just love to make lists. It's especially interesting right now because everyone is making a 'Best Albums of the Decade' and a 'Best Songs of the Decade' list in addition to 2009 lists as well. You will find a ton of great albums from looking through these lists (especially since the decade lists are 100 albums long). I was actually really surprised that people don't do end of the year lists in this forum.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 PM

I was enjoying this thread, but it has grown quiet... Come on people, talk! I'd be interested in seeing someone start a 'Best of the Decade' thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,108,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Grmike I promised to be honest with you. That ga ga was aweful. It was nothing more then hippity hoppity bunny dance material. No wonder why it's underground. No one wants it above ground.

Everyone admits the music industry is a mess. Why did you say no one? Just that there is not a damn thing we can do about it. Sorta like the govt wants to control our lives and there is not a damn thing we can do about the deterioration of our rights.

I guess the best thing we all can do is stop buying CDs but I believe we already did. Music producers and record labels can start by rejecting wrappers and hippity hoppies from any music industry activity. It wont be long before some good music starts to emerge and make it to the radio to concert halls to record shelves.

Very very well said. Everything. The only thing I disagree on is that it is a great time for music now. Even if it were true, how can it be called a great time when it has to be searched for? With greatness comes accessability through and by product knowledge. Just like product ads on TV or radio. Do you think Haaggan Daz or Cheerios or Chevy or Hersheys would be as great as they are if no one ever heard of them because they had to be searched for to be found?
Perhaps it would have been better to say it is a great time to be a music lover or musician. Consider the "old" days, you would find new music only a few ways, mostly whatever was on the radio or tv variety shows. You could go to a record store and dig thru to look for new music or music you haven't heard. You might have some live shows come to your town. And of course, most of us had a "cool friend" who would show us up-and-coming, "underground" or out of the area music.

FF to today, we still have all that, but thanks to the net, we have so much more. You can take a band you like, listen to music they have done from their start to their latest release, find rare demos, bootlegs and live performances, then do the same for the bands that influenced them, and the bands that they influenced, all in a single day (and mostly for free)!

And now, all of us have 1000's of "cool friends" to recommend stuff, on boards such as this for instance!

Also, now it's possible to find a band/artist starting out and follow their music and career from the garage to the arena, and even correspond directly with the artist (until they get too "big"). Imagine if you could have been a "fly on the wall" and watched the BEATLES go from Liverpool pubs to their final concert, all in your living room!

If you wait for the music "industry" to provide your music for you, you will be on a starvation diet. And if you don't like what they provide for you, don't listen to it! The only time I listen to music I don't care for is during some movies or TV shows, at traffic lights or when my GF is in the car

Old 12-26-2009, 07:19 AM

204 posts, read 619,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Perhaps it would have been better to say it is a great time to be a music lover or musician. Consider the "old" days, you would find new music only a few ways, mostly whatever was on the radio or tv variety shows. You could go to a record store and dig thru to look for new music or music you haven't heard. You might have some live shows come to your town. And of course, most of us had a "cool friend" who would show us up-and-coming, "underground" or out of the area music.

FF to today, we still have all that, but thanks to the net, we have so much more. You can take a band you like, listen to music they have done from their start to their latest release, find rare demos, bootlegs and live performances, then do the same for the bands that influenced them, and the bands that they influenced, all in a single day (and mostly for free)!

And now, all of us have 1000's of "cool friends" to recommend stuff, on boards such as this for instance!

Also, now it's possible to find a band/artist starting out and follow their music and career from the garage to the arena, and even correspond directly with the artist (until they get too "big"). Imagine if you could have been a "fly on the wall" and watched the BEATLES go from Liverpool pubs to their final concert, all in your living room!

If you wait for the music "industry" to provide your music for you, you will be on a starvation diet. And if you don't like what they provide for you, don't listen to it! The only time I listen to music I don't care for is during some movies or TV shows, at traffic lights or when my GF is in the car
Don't leave out another pre-internet source of music info......magazines like "Rolling Stone", etc. A long time reader, whose subscription has recently lapsed, I almost feel like re-upping out of loyalty. To continue to support the cause. While I really like the non-music articles, it's just not so necessary for music info. O.K. now I'm renewing my subscription because I feel bad for saying this .

And I do miss the record store adventures. Oh, the cover art!

I'm with ya....great days for the music fans!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,586,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
that it is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 80's and 90's ?

a lot of people like to say it's a new trend where loud, dark, hard, monotonous, trance is in but I disagree.

i just don't see the variety in music today as i did in music pre 2000 made by people like gloria estefan, celine dion, jon secada, selena, phil collins, sarah macghlauchlin, shania twain, bryan adams, streisand, the carpenters, mariah carey, whitney houston, michael bolton, paul macartney, even tina turner.

what's alarming is that most top rated musicians, groups today have more in common with the b class artists of the past. groups that were mostly ignored by the mainstream, people like lara fabian, groups like jake, vip, sky, b44. i guess what's even more alarming is that many of those groups actually produced catchier music, music that stuck and could be remixed easily.

i started noticing this about 5-10 years ago but thought maybe something new and better would come about. now it's looking more like the music industry is the problem.

i miss turning on the radio stations friday night and listening to the new dance hits, remixes and actually enjoying them. now it seems like you have to be into trance music to enjoy it and that shouldn't be.

some people say it's my age. i don't think so I was a young teen at the turn of the century and enjoyed mainstream music, 5-6 years after that i started to notice mainstream music deviating from what was very popular.

this comeback concert of shania twain somehow sums up what's missing in the music industry today. young and old enjoying a product of the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1u_4...eature=related

the only singer at the top of the charts right now who would even be considered singing by 20th century standards is taylor swift (probably why she is very popular with hit song after hit and winning all the awards) but her music doesn't sound much different than mandy moore's who was largely ignored. leann rhymes was similar but she was more recognized in the country music scene than in general.
Rotting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music