Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,345,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
that it is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 80's and 90's ?
Mainstream music is different (I would argue more electrionically fabricated (as opposed to using actual instruments) and less complex) than in previous years because the emphasis has shifted from the musical content to the packaging. In other words, more people care about their singers being pretty and being in style or wearing clothes that make the listener feel that person is relatable, rather than on musical content. You can thank MTV and 24 hour access to media for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM

839 posts, read 985,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Mainstream music is different (I would argue more electrionically fabricated (as opposed to using actual instruments) and less complex) than in previous years because the emphasis has shifted from the musical content to the packaging. In other words, more people care about their singers being pretty and being in style or wearing clothes that make the listener feel that person is relatable, rather than on musical content. You can thank MTV and 24 hour access to media for that.
Mainstream Top 40 music, perhaps, but this certainly isn't the case with indie music, some of which is extraordinarily complex (listen to the melodies, harmonies, etc. on Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest for example).

Old 12-26-2009, 03:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,776,283 times
Today, everything is a past culture snatch, not a savored moment. Robbed, copied and pasted for that immediate entertainment appropriation.

If you threw out most of the technology, it would hang those out to dry twisting in the wind that are passing themselves as talent today.

Last edited by newmex; 12-26-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:18 PM

204 posts, read 619,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Today, everything is a past culture snatch, not a savored moment. Robbed, copied and pasted for that immediate entertainment appropriation.

If you threw out most of the technology, it would hang those out to dry twisting in the wind that are passing themselves as talent today.
Well, there are copies and there are homages . Since art isn't created in a vacuum, I don't mind seeing threads of influence (It's fun to learn about those sorts of shadow and evolution), but that's probably not what you're referring to.

Don't throw out the technology. I'm afraid to hear an unenhanced Beyonce .

Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,345,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
Well, there are copies and there are homages . Since art isn't created in a vacuum, I don't mind seeing threads of influence (It's fun to learn about those sorts of shadow and evolution), but that's probably not what you're referring to.

Don't throw out the technology. I'm afraid to hear an unenhanced Beyonce .
To tack on to this post:

Technology has become incredibly important, to the point of being indispensable. Don't believe that? Until the mid 1990's, Madonna had never learned how to play an instrument. That's right, one of the top-selling female artists of all time did NOT know how to play an instrument. Without technology, she wouldn't have been able to write her own music, which she did.

Now, it's not unusual for a singer to not be able to play an instrument. What makes Madonna stand out is that she can't play and instrument AND is really not that great of a singer. Her fame and fortune is all due to the miracle of technology. Without that, she wouldn't have had a medium with which to pedal her image.

Even more so for Britney. She can sing even less. If you don't believe me, youtube a concert where she's not lip-syncing (it will have to be a concert from the 90s, as I think she lip-syncs at all her concerts now. I may be wrong). As the technology advances, the actual instrumental skill of humans become less and less necessary. These days, you don't have to be good at anything musically to be incredibly successful as a musician. Ironic, huh?

Old 12-28-2009, 01:09 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,300,383 times
This thread just makes me sad.

Ever Adrift, you might enjoy the Music forum over at Head-Fi.org.

I'm 35 years old and have been buying my own music for 24 years. I have nearly an encyclopedic knowledge of music of the 60s and 70s. I buy dozens of new disks per year. I constantly seek out new music. And I love it. I can attest that the past decade has literally been an explosion of aural and melodic diversity. Exponential growth. It's kind of like Moore's Law for music.

I think it's absurd that Celine Dion, John Secada, Michael Bolton, etc. are being held up as some sort of paragon of everything "good" in music. This is some of the blandest, white breadest corporate music ever made. It's a parody of itself.

And on the other side of the coin, WHO CARES what makes the Grammys or "weekly top 40" (is that crap still around even?) or shifts lots of units at Wal-Mart? The Grammys stopped being relevant a few decades ago. Reality TV is all over the place but I still find plenty of well-made television to enjoy. There's a McDonald's every two miles but I still never touch fast food.

Two points: 1) there's so much room out there now for everyone, from connoisseurs of previous decades, to sheeple blindly snapping up the endcap disk of the week at Wal-Mart or the top download of the week on Amazon, to people seeking out unique new music. Same for games, literature, film, and television. 2) It's disingenuous, or perhaps a Strawman, to present Lady Gaga and then complain about "music today." I mean Lady Gaga?? That's like holding up a McDonald's 99 cent greaseburger and then using it to condemn all modern cuisine. There's better, MUCH better, but it's not going to reach out and smack you in the eye every two miles.

A few more points. A) as I mentioned, I'm 35 years old; I have friends I've known for twenty or more years whose musical tastes basically calcified at age 19 or so, the point at which they just gave up and stopped listening or seeking out new music with an open mind. I find it a little sad, but hey, it's not a priority for them. I do have a hard time calling them music fans though. I want to be enjoying brand new music every year for the rest of my life. Here's my latest endeavor: https://www.city-data.com/forum/music...t-tonight.html

B) This time of year is ideal for finding music due to all the "best of" lists. This is a double witching year too since it's the end of the decade. I love the year end lists, I always pick up some new stuff I missed.

C) The one thing I don't like about modern music is the Loudness War. But there's still plenty of dynamic mastering out there. The Grizzly Bear album is a perfect example.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Even more so for Britney. She can sing even less. If you don't believe me, youtube a concert where she's not lip-syncing (it will have to be a concert from the 90s, as I think she lip-syncs at all her concerts now. I may be wrong).
The miracle of Live Auto-Tune...

Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,776,283 times
As it has been said about a lot of artists today, acting out a lie is worse than telling one.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,361,327 times
I wrote this in another thread...people who complain about today's music scenes are completely missing the point.

as far as today goes...there's way too much crap going on. FM/Top 40 radio isn't really all that relevant anymore, cds are on the way out, MTV and music on television is dead along with the music video, recording companies are on the way out, the internet and downloading is king, sattelite radio and internet radio are gaining steam, iPOD/laptop/smart phone culture is key, we have myspace artists and whatnot now with artists localizing through social networks, people are doing big things with little equipment due to increased availability(IE laptop musicians..no longer do you need a pro studio and a label's guidance to create a high quality recording), many scenes and genres are buzzing without any proper media connection, we're separated into regional differences as opposed to national trends, etc. Popular music, as in "let's see what's on MTV or the local top 40 station" is basically dead...and that's a good thing.

People who are looking at Top 40 tunes, leftover rap/r&b, and Disney songs are missing the point completely. Right now, it's more about what you can find as opposed to what finds you...things have reverted away from huge media outlets and it's much more about loving music itself for what it really is and discovering new things. Top 40 and mainstream music isn't terrible just because that's all there is right now in terms of popular music...it's terrible because the really good stuff comes from bands that have found alternative ways to support their work. Musicians are now choosing not to explore the conventional route anymore since they're able to financially support themselves through the internet, organizing their own tours, and selling their own merchandise...no more middle man. Musicians never made their money from recording contracts, it was always through merchandise and ticket sales...so why bother playing the big boys game and falling into that trap when you can do your own thing? We're in the baby stages of what is turning out to be an era for those who are either musicians themself or just flat-out love music as true fans. These are good times if you're able to see what's going on and understand where the future is headed. If music from this era "sucks" to you, it's only because you aren't seeing what's really out there and understanding what's going on.

It's a screwy musical world out there at the moment..but it's a really, really good one and I love everything that's happening out there. I really look forward to seeing what else is just around the corner.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,126,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I wrote this in another thread...people who complain about today's music scenes are completely missing the point.

as far as today goes...there's way too much crap going on. FM/Top 40 radio isn't really all that relevant anymore, cds are on the way out, MTV and music on television is dead along with the music video, recording companies are on the way out, the internet and downloading is king, sattelite radio and internet radio are gaining steam, iPOD/laptop/smart phone culture is key, we have myspace artists and whatnot now with artists localizing through social networks, people are doing big things with little equipment due to increased availability(IE laptop musicians..no longer do you need a pro studio and a label's guidance to create a high quality recording), many scenes and genres are buzzing without any proper media connection, we're separated into regional differences as opposed to national trends, etc. Popular music, as in "let's see what's on MTV or the local top 40 station" is basically dead...and that's a good thing.

People who are looking at Top 40 tunes, leftover rap/r&b, and Disney songs are missing the point completely. Right now, it's more about what you can find as opposed to what finds you...things have reverted away from huge media outlets and it's much more about loving music itself for what it really is and discovering new things. Top 40 and mainstream music isn't terrible just because that's all there is right now in terms of popular music...it's terrible because the really good stuff comes from bands that have found alternative ways to support their work. Musicians are now choosing not to explore the conventional route anymore since they're able to financially support themselves through the internet, organizing their own tours, and selling their own merchandise...no more middle man. Musicians never made their money from recording contracts, it was always through merchandise and ticket sales...so why bother playing the big boys game and falling into that trap when you can do your own thing? We're in the baby stages of what is turning out to be an era for those who are either musicians themself or just flat-out love music as true fans. These are good times if you're able to see what's going on and understand where the future is headed.

It's a screwy musical world out there at the moment..but it's a really, really good one and I love everything that's happening out there. I really look forward to seeing what else is just around the corner.
Good Post, I agree I have been surfing myspace for the last 6 months or so and have found 50 or 60 bands that I really like and i know that I have only scratched the surface.

There really is an insane amount of bands out there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music