Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 PM

237 posts, read 871,311 times

Advertisements

that it is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 80's and 90's ?

a lot of people like to say it's a new trend where loud, dark, hard, monotonous, trance is in but I disagree.

i just don't see the variety in music today as i did in music pre 2000 made by people like gloria estefan, celine dion, jon secada, selena, phil collins, sarah macghlauchlin, shania twain, bryan adams, streisand, the carpenters, mariah carey, whitney houston, michael bolton, paul macartney, even tina turner.

what's alarming is that most top rated musicians, groups today have more in common with the b class artists of the past. groups that were mostly ignored by the mainstream, people like lara fabian, groups like jake, vip, sky, b44. i guess what's even more alarming is that many of those groups actually produced catchier music, music that stuck and could be remixed easily.

i started noticing this about 5-10 years ago but thought maybe something new and better would come about. now it's looking more like the music industry is the problem.

i miss turning on the radio stations friday night and listening to the new dance hits, remixes and actually enjoying them. now it seems like you have to be into trance music to enjoy it and that shouldn't be.

some people say it's my age. i don't think so I was a young teen at the turn of the century and enjoyed mainstream music, 5-6 years after that i started to notice mainstream music deviating from what was very popular.

this comeback concert of shania twain somehow sums up what's missing in the music industry today. young and old enjoying a product of the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1u_4...eature=related

the only singer at the top of the charts right now who would even be considered singing by 20th century standards is taylor swift (probably why she is very popular with hit song after hit and winning all the awards) but her music doesn't sound much different than mandy moore's who was largely ignored. leann rhymes was similar but she was more recognized in the country music scene than in general.

Last edited by grmike; 12-22-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 AM

839 posts, read 983,852 times
Compared to even a decade ago, the music coming out now is incredibly diverse. The internet has had an enormous (and largely positive) impact on music; there are far more artists who are now able to get their music out there than could in the 1990s. You just have to know where to look; you gotta get beyond the Top 40 which is largely, though not entirely, crap in my opinion. Much of what is on the Top 40 is overly commercialized pop that is playing to the lowest common denominator. I'm hugely into the so-called 'indie' scene which is home to such eclectic types of music that there is bound to be tons of artists that you'd like regardless of your tastes. I haven't really posted in the music forums here on city-data despite the fact that I'm hugely into music and a regular poster in music forums on Metacritic largely because it seems like the posters here are not really into, or even paying attention to, much of whats going on in non-Top 40 music today. While I haven't looked all that much into threads in this forum, what I have seen has been disappointing as it all seems focused on old music or, as I've said, mainstream pop. There is so much more out there than that, people really need to broaden their horizons. More music comes out in a year now than did in a decade 20 years ago. I could give you all sorts of recommendations representing a vast array of genres if you're interested...

Old 12-22-2009, 01:13 AM

where's last decade's shania twain, sarah machlauchlin, or even jewel ? the world has added 1.5 billion people since 1990 but in the last decade not one real superstar who you can say will stand out in 20 or 30 years.

the scenes you mention were generally always there. someone with the vocal chords of a lara fabian or whitney houston making it mainstream and producing music that's appealing to all genres (dance, pop, soft rock, and others) has not been seen in the world for at least 10-15 years. celine dion even rapped !

many of the new genres that some people are pointing to are as diverse as those corner stores claiming they have a 100 flavors of ice cream. they all taste the same but the subtle differences (many produced on a computer) are enough to separate them.
music is music something great will stick and should make it mainstream.

Quote:
More music comes out in a year now than did in a decade 20 years ago
i prefer quality over quantity. maybe the industry is too diluted.
the last time i travelled i noticed many radio stations playing new music were losing ratings to retro stations.
a talented singer musician is universally recognized. people who hate celine dion music can't deny her talent and many even admit there are times of their life when her music had appeal. same can't be said about people like lady gaga, kanye west.

Last edited by grmike; 12-22-2009 at 01:26 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,020,034 times
Well, you know what they way about "one man's trash is another's treasure"
Your idea of 'quality' music is pretty much the polar opposite of mine.
Music is incredibly subjective, hardly rotting generations, but then again, every generation has said the same things that you have said so far.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:23 AM

839 posts, read 983,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
where's last decade's shania twain, sarah machlauchlin, or even gloria estefan ? the world has added 1.5 billion people since 1990 but in the last decade not one real superstar who you can say will stand out in 20 or 30 years.

the scenes you mention were generally always there. someone with the vocal chords of a lara fabian or whitney houston making it mainstream and producing music that's appealing to all genres (dance, pop, soft rock, and others) has not been seen in the world for at least 10-15 years. celine dion even rapped ! iglesias produced a nice hit with houston

many of the new genres that some people are pointing to are as diverse as those corner stores claiming they have a 100 flavors of ice cream.
music is music something great will stick and should make it mainstream.
The same thing that has happened to TV has happened to music; growing accessibility to it and greater ease of distribution has led to the fragmentation of the market for music. Whereas you used to have to go to a record store and pay 15 bucks for an album before ever hearing it, today you can listen to 30 second samples of pretty much every song ever made before paying for it (or acquiring it through more questionable means) from home and having it downloaded in seconds. Its created a diverse array of niche markets catering to different tastes. This has led to decreasing album sales and fewer superstars who everyone loves since there are just so many choices and opinions. There are some really amazing things happening in music today, with incredibly innovative artists out there pushing the boundaries in every direction (or perfecting and synthesizing older genres to make entirely different sounds). Some of these artists turn new listeners off at first because they are so different, but if you invest time and attention in them you'll discover that many are simply brilliant.

There really is something for everyone, but you can no longer get a good perspective on what music has to offer by turning on the radio anymore. Most of the truly interesting and innovative music is what isn't on the radio. Many of the critical darlings of this decade have had few, if any, top 40 singles but they remain loved by a huge number of music aficionados who look to the internet, rather than the radio, for their music needs. Anyone who thinks that music has gone 'downhill' and just isn't 'as good' as it used to be really, truly isn't looking hard enough.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Well, you know what they way about "one man's trash is another's treasure"
Your idea of 'quality' music is pretty much the polar opposite of mine.
Music is incredibly subjective, hardly rotting generations, but then again, every generation has said the same things that you have said so far.
people using that excuse are being absurd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCdp...om=PL&index=29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFMn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6LhWbQthAI

NO COMPARISON !! all these songs are so diverse but EVERYONE can enjoy them, they appeal to so many genres and absolutely dominate them. artists like these in their prime produced so much diverse music and yet excelled on their voices and lyrics alone !

Quote:
every generation has said the same things that you have said so far
I AM PROOF YOU ARE WRONG. all these changes happened WITHIN MY GENERATION. I AM STILL PART OF THAT YOUNG GENERATION, music took a u turn right in the middle of my youth, right when that music was more popular than ever. i do not have a problem with the music from the generation before me either. i listened to mandy moore, sixpence none the richer even Avril lavigne when she first hit it big. music after that got way too commercialized and i'll even say dark but not in the traditional sense. every genre got infected by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQZG6wiLMs

replaced by this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3yFlYlhCQ

Last edited by grmike; 12-22-2009 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
The same thing that has happened to TV has happened to music; growing accessibility to it and greater ease of distribution has led to the fragmentation of the market for music. Whereas you used to have to go to a record store and pay 15 bucks for an album before ever hearing it, today you can listen to 30 second samples of pretty much every song ever made before paying for it (or acquiring it through more questionable means) from home and having it downloaded in seconds. Its created a diverse array of niche markets catering to different tastes. This has led to decreasing album sales and fewer superstars who everyone loves since there are just so many choices and opinions. There are some really amazing things happening in music today, with incredibly innovative artists out there pushing the boundaries in every direction (or perfecting and synthesizing older genres to make entirely different sounds). Some of these artists turn new listeners off at first because they are so different, but if you invest time and attention in them you'll discover that many are simply brilliant.

There really is something for everyone, but you can no longer get a good perspective on what music has to offer by turning on the radio anymore. Most of the truly interesting and innovative music is what isn't on the radio. Many of the critical darlings of this decade have had few, if any, top 40 singles but they remain loved by a huge number of music aficionados who look to the internet, rather than the radio, for their music needs. Anyone who thinks that music has gone 'downhill' and just isn't 'as good' as it used to be really, truly isn't looking hard enough.
as they use to say
the cream rises to the top.

either musicians don't really care about reaching their full potential, showcasing all their talent.
or
society is not able to differentiate between real talent and people who are just putting on a show.
or
a combination of both those things.

i might come across as arrogant but I believe MAJOR change needs happen now or else next decade will be lost too. even worse, music could actually deteriorate ever further.
to tell you the truth Christian mainstream music is not immune to the stink either. soft, uplifting music is being replaced by rebellious, monotonous, music that in no way compares to past successes like avalon, jaci velasquz, maranatha, hillsongs, michael w smith. there's a hardness to it that wasn't there before. there are some rare occurances like laura story but even they are recycling music from 20 years ago.

Last edited by grmike; 12-22-2009 at 02:24 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,890,769 times
"is music rotting or is the next generation of music so fundamentally different that it is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 80's and 90's ?

could have been replaced by

"this 80's and 90's music is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 60's and 70's".

It all just depends on your taste in music and when you were born.

Agreed, today's music leaves a lot to be desired, but to me so did the 80's and 90's.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
"is music rotting or is the next generation of music so fundamentally different that it is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 80's and 90's ?

could have been replaced by

"this 80's and 90's music is almost unrecognizable to people who grew up in the 60's and 70's".

It all just depends on your taste in music and when you were born.

Agreed, today's music leaves a lot to be desired, but to me so did the 80's and 90's.
you mean this kind of music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emj1H...4B5588&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGE-Y1C_nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Rch6WvPJE

can't be appreciated by someone who grew up in the 60's or 70's ? please you aren't fooling me.

Moderator cut: 1 - 3 you tube videos per post. Please pay attention to the guidelines

this is literally garbage compared to anything produced in any other decade, yet almost all music produced today is a carbon copy of that.

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-22-2009 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: removed 4th video

Old 12-22-2009, 08:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,890,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
can't be appreciated by someone who grew up in the 60's or 70's ? please you aren't fooling me.
Not trying to fool you. Just stating my opinion. And I can honestly say that I've never listened to any of your four examples from beginning to end. Just not my kind of music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music