Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Agreed 100 percent! This decade was one of the greatest, if not THE greatest decade in music history. One of the most interesting things about this decade is that music (especially the underground) is so much more accessible than in previous decades. There is something out there for EVERYONE... it's just up to you to go out there and find it.
Oh come on now. The greatest? Discount wrap and hippity hoppity bunny hop noise and what's left? Whatever is left is not accessible to the public. One of you posted some places to look and I promise I will look.

The top 40 and any other list out there includes what is on the radio. Other then car commercials all there is would be wrap....what little of it can be played without all the curse words. I trust you are not referring to this garbage when you say the greatest decade.

I will shut up know till I listen to what some of you told me to listen to. I do have to say that history speaks loudly and the music of the 60s to 80s were the greatest. That is not even my opinion at all. It's just fact. Young people might want to argue fruitlessly about it but all I can say is you just had to be there.

I still wonder how good something really is if it has to be hidden in the underground as everyone keeps calling it. I will listen to what you are all talking about and give you my honest answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Aside from my previous, rather long-winded post I thought I'd include a couple youtube links to some great and really recent indie hits representing different styles:

Moderator cut: 3 videos max

The first 2 I could live without. The 3rd one I kinda liked. One would have to be in the mood for it though but it was good. It's the only one I listened to all the way through.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM

237 posts, read 871,045 times
i remember the arcade fire must've been about 5 years though since then. there is talent there you can tell in the music but it's a twisted form, something that not everyone can enjoy. neon bible ? funeral ? what's next death ? it's like Ashley Macisaac, so talented that no matter what he does you're going to see something attractive in it, but it's mixed in with a lot of foolishness and twisted themes. like most other bands their music has not been the same for at least a couple years.

i know music has effects on us that go beyond just the entertainment aspect. that's why i generally stay away from stuff that gets too crazy.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
i remember the arcade fire must've been about 5 years though since then. there is talent there you can tell in the music but it's a twisted form, something that not everyone can enjoy. neon bible ? funeral ? what's next death ? it's like Ashley Macisaac, so talented that no matter what he does you're going to see something attractive in it, but it's mixed in with a lot of foolishness and twisted themes. like most other bands their music has not been the same for at least a couple years.

i know music has effects on us that go beyond just the entertainment aspect. that's why i generally stay away from stuff that gets too crazy.
So you're looking for songs performed by people with strong, distinct voices, singing about universal themes to which anyone can relate? Am I right?

Like Neko Case? She's got a great voice and has sung songs anyone can relate to, but I do think she's a little twisted (in the best way possible).

Old 12-23-2009, 10:58 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Well, "grmike", it's like this. You can like what you like & nobody objects. But when you post all that you did, implying that you are right and nobody else is right, there will be plenty of people that will object.
As you said, 5 or 6 years after you were a young teen you came to your current stance about music & musicians. Young teen, + 5-6 years = "just a kid".
My opinion? I think that all the crap that you say is so great is crap. I wouldn't be saying so, because it is rude to do that, but you are doing just that anyway.
....Just adding my two cents. Save up and buy some music from the 60's & 70's, for starters.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
Lets face it... the classic rock and top 40 crowd will never be able to get along with the underground, indie, punk, and metal crowd. Those are on the opposite sides of the musical spectrum....

Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM

204 posts, read 617,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
The same thing that has happened to TV has happened to music; growing accessibility to it and greater ease of distribution has led to the fragmentation of the market for music. Whereas you used to have to go to a record store and pay 15 bucks for an album before ever hearing it, today you can listen to 30 second samples of pretty much every song ever made before paying for it (or acquiring it through more questionable means) from home and having it downloaded in seconds. Its created a diverse array of niche markets catering to different tastes. This has led to decreasing album sales and fewer superstars who everyone loves since there are just so many choices and opinions. There are some really amazing things happening in music today, with incredibly innovative artists out there pushing the boundaries in every direction (or perfecting and synthesizing older genres to make entirely different sounds). Some of these artists turn new listeners off at first because they are so different, but if you invest time and attention in them you'll discover that many are simply brilliant.

There really is something for everyone, but you can no longer get a good perspective on what music has to offer by turning on the radio anymore. Most of the truly interesting and innovative music is what isn't on the radio. Many of the critical darlings of this decade have had few, if any, top 40 singles but they remain loved by a huge number of music aficionados who look to the internet, rather than the radio, for their music needs. Anyone who thinks that music has gone 'downhill' and just isn't 'as good' as it used to be really, truly isn't looking hard enough.
I totally agree. Top 40 no longer matters to most music lovers. It has it's place....we all have internal soundtracks from a youth spent listening to Top 40, but a real music lover moves beyond that to discover and enjoy new music throughout life. I'd hate to think how much great music I'd have missed if I latched on to oldies from my youth.

And the choices we have now are amazing! The internet and satellite radio can be tools to find music that suits ANY taste....it's out there and you might even find it comes from the other side of the globe.

I suspect the OP is seeing that the current style of pop music is shifting and doesn't realize that happens every few years. Remember when Grunge started to outrun the Hair Bands . Or when Country Rock gave way to Disco? You get the idea, and those who don't want to move on and expand their horizons can always find an oldies station every quarter inch on the radio, right between Top 40 and Contemporary Country. To each his own.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
Quote:
Lets face it... the classic rock and top 40 crowd will never be able to get along with the underground, indie, punk, and metal crowd. Those are on the opposite sides of the musical spectrum....

damn straight and that's just how I like it! I don't need generic schmaltzy melodramatic boring predictable overproduced crap messing with my underground music!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Quote:
I don't know if I agree with that....perhaps "overall", you may be right.
But there's an awful lot of people that are exceptions to your theory.
Myself, I like classic rock, yet I like the Plasmatics, too. That doesn't comply to your thought at all. I listen to the Beatles, yet I love Iggy Pop and Lou Reed. Hell, I like the Mamas and the Papas but I still would crank up 'Master of Puppets' if it came on the radio...
I don't like the radio.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,387 times
not too mention most of the "Top Hits" are rap. no diversity. my dad is a dj. He gets the top 40 overall and like 3/4 are the "urban" and most of the Urban is becoming remakes of nonrap songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music