Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:58 PM

839 posts, read 982,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Do you like the music they play at the grocery stores? Me there are some grocery stores that plays a good variety of music and I like how they would play alot of upbeat pop music along with some of the obscure tunes, I remember a few months ago I've heard "Pac Man Fever" at our Safeway store and that song totally blew me away
You ask this as if all grocery stores play the same music...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I notice the music--if it's there--as well as the commercials. I'm more audially (is that even a word?) based than visually based. My eyes really aren't that good.

I like some of the newer music, but prefer older. I have also heard stores that play country music.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
I have stepped into stores which were playing trash like wrap or hippity hoppity bunny jump junk and turned right around and walked away. I feel like telling the manager why I am walking away but if I did then I would have to stand there and tolerate that trash noise.

I dont expect to hear great rock of the 60s to 80s in stores but any easy listening is just fine. I will never spend one dime in a store that is playing wrap noise.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:20 PM

85 posts, read 202,363 times
I really do love a good amount of the songs they play at grocery stores. I have, on more than one occasion, started dancing in the middle of the Central Market singing along to "Take on Me" and "Hungry Like the Wolf."

Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
I rarely like what a grocery store is playing. If I'm lucky it's bland enough to ignore. If it's toe-curling angst wailing I'll actually hurry speed things along. Really. Sometimes it's that annoying. It's oftentimes the worst of the 70's or 80's pop that was nasty when it was new. If I have ever again have to hear the band Bread sing "Baby I'm A Want You" while choosing T.P., I just might have to take hostages. If it's followed by "Afternoon Delight", send a SWAT team for sure. Yuk.
Brother! The Safeways I go to all have the worst possible sound system, clearly never intended for music, and indeed barely passable for the "Please send a cashier to checkout 5" type announcements. And yes, I have frequently heard "Afternoon Delight" and its ilk on those scratchy, crappy speakers. I too am encouraged to get shopping over quickly and to get the heck out of there by the annoying noise.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
My neighborhood supermarket is one of those old-fashioned ones where you can hear the rain pelting down on the roof, and even when its not raining, there is too much miscellaneous noise for them to even try to add music to the mix. There is a newer supermarket up on the other end of town, which I refuse to go to because it has that hushed-yuppy-shadegrown atmosphere makes me feel like in a country-club suburb of a big city like Plano or The Woodlands, and all I want to do is hurry back to my low-income south end.

But the Burger King down the street plays a Sirius channel that has oldies, mostly around the 70s-80s, and it is a really nice mix, except the 6 weeks out of the year when they tune in the Xmas crap.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 PM

428 posts, read 620,697 times
25% of the tunes are nostalgic and likeable. The rest suck and irritate ya.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
I like the music in grocery stores, but much of the music has been specifically tailored by companies like Muzak to appeal to me. I read an article in the WSJ years ago detailing how companies like Muzak carefully examine the consumer then tailor music programming for their many retail clients. I've been in clothing stores with my young son where I can hardly wait to get out of the store, but he's just bopping along, having a good time listening to the music.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
call me old fashion but I still love the organ cha-cha's , they remind me of running pall mall through the store with my mother threatening to never bring to the store again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtIGi...om=PL&index=56

Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,095,668 times
I really dislike hearing rock songs I would otherwise like when I shop in a grocery store, I feel it "cheapens" the song, esp ones with a lot of "attitude". I would rather hear Muzak, classical or nothing. Weird, I know, but that's just how I feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music