Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times

Advertisements

Do you like the music they play at the grocery stores? Me there are some grocery stores that plays a good variety of music and I like how they would play alot of upbeat pop music along with some of the obscure tunes, I remember a few months ago I've heard "Pac Man Fever" at our Safeway store and that song totally blew me away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:08 AM

133 posts, read 419,254 times
Yes! I love when they play 80's music while I'm shopping , puts me in a relaxed mood. The Whole foods grocery store I go to plays some good lite indie rock music too.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:43 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance_or_REBEL View Post
Yes! I love when they play 80's music while I'm shopping , puts me in a relaxed mood. The Whole foods grocery store I go to plays some good lite indie rock music too.
I also love 80s music and it feels great getting to hear a good 80s song while shopping at a grocery store, the store I work at (similar to Target) plays some lite indie rock music that you won't find on the AM/FM stations

Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
haha I remember one time shopping at safeway and money for nothing by the dire straights came on it was awsome and has one hell of a wicked guitar intro so it was a suprise to hear it and of all places a safeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag
man makes me want my MTV TOO when they played music videos like this back in the day

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-25-2009 at 01:21 AM..

Old 12-25-2009, 01:17 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times
I can't believe someone mentioned this! I was just telling someone earlier today, I LOVE the music they play at our grocery store. So many sweet love songs! They play good ones from the 80s and songs that remind me of certain people. I think they pick sentimental stuff to play so you buy more candy etc. to make yourself feel better. Anyway, shopping for food equals a good time!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:07 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
They don't play any music in mine.
I try to avoid stores that does.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:07 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Do you like the music they play at the grocery stores? Me there are some grocery stores that plays a good variety of music and I like how they would play alot of upbeat pop music along with some of the obscure tunes, I remember a few months ago I've heard "Pac Man Fever" at our Safeway store and that song totally blew me away

Evidently, it is not the first thing on my mind when I'm out buying groceries. Many stores have what they call their own "network", which I think is cool. I've heard songs that were hits about twenty or thirty years ago from time to time, and that's a good thing. As long as these stores don't play that gosh-awful rap or heavy metal, I don't care what they play.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Lose your sense-ibilities on aisle 5

Speaking of basic instincts, your senses are being used against you. Stores motivate your buying impulses by affecting your hearing, smell and taste. For example, according to Gifford, you probably tune out the bland music in the background and don't even notice that they are playing commercials to you while you shop. And it's not just ads. The type of music is carefully selected.
"Music in a major chord sells more than music in a minor chord," he explains. Yes, someone actually measured this. Additionally, certain beats of music slow shoppers down, making them dawdle before all those luscious displays of goods. - Grocery store ploys

Old 12-25-2009, 01:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Lose your sense-ibilities on aisle 5

Speaking of basic instincts, your senses are being used against you. Stores motivate your buying impulses by affecting your hearing, smell and taste. For example, according to Gifford, you probably tune out the bland music in the background and don't even notice that they are playing commercials to you while you shop. And it's not just ads. The type of music is carefully selected.
"Music in a major chord sells more than music in a minor chord," he explains. Yes, someone actually measured this. Additionally, certain beats of music slow shoppers down, making them dawdle before all those luscious displays of goods. - Grocery store ploys
I was aware of the other ploys in that site, but always wondered about the effect of music. Thanks for posting.
I am extremely affected (good *and* bad) by the music I hear.
I just can't help it.
And I usually do like the music I hear at the grocery store.
The other day I heard a Muzak version (with female vocalist) of Warren Zevon's Accidentally Like A Martyr. I stopped dead in my tracks to listen. This certainly kept me in the store a few extra minutes.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:34 PM

204 posts, read 617,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I was aware of the other ploys in that site, but always wondered about the effect of music. Thanks for posting.
I am extremely affected (good *and* bad) by the music I hear.
I just can't help it.
And I usually do like the music I hear at the grocery store.
The other day I heard a Muzak version (with female vocalist) of Warren Zevon's Accidentally Like A Martyr. I stopped dead in my tracks to listen. This certainly kept me in the store a few extra minutes.
I rarely like what a grocery store is playing. If I'm lucky it's bland enough to ignore. If it's toe-curling angst wailing I'll actually hurry speed things along. Really. Sometimes it's that annoying. It's oftentimes the worst of the 70's or 80's pop that was nasty when it was new. If I have ever again have to hear the band Bread sing "Baby I'm A Want You" while choosing T.P., I just might have to take hostages. If it's followed by "Afternoon Delight", send a SWAT team for sure. Yuk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music