Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,548,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

But, on those occasions that I listen to Smooth Jazz, my heart just wants to blow up because I want something else. I want sophistication. I want to go somewhere else and be someone else.
I'm gonna talk to you as if you were one of us mutated humans who
tend to be teenagers... we do too and we do it cyberally! It's really
fulfillin with the right group of people... there's millions of folks
like you but they play online games like second life or WoW or
play mud/fantasy text games and can be a mage, or a star ship
commander or a musician in second life...

I like bein in charge of a fleet in Metal and you can use your real
feelins... it expand your mind/heart/experiences and give you a
real excitement that comes in your day to day life.

My brain is startin to hurt tryin to talk like a grownup. I'll say
go to the w/feelin thread... put bohemian village (Club owner)
in your title then play the music you're playin and cyber act out
who you are inside. Don't be limited by your body.

Quote:

I have such a longing for something (and I am not even
sure what it is), but its really painful.
yeaaap that is really how it feels... like you're gonna die inside...
see we kids know exactly whatcha talkin about but can you
give that real self inside yourself the freedom its hollerin to
be... if you're inside a singer can you be that etta and write you
gonna sing and make a scene thats inside your head and do it...

If I had more time I would have fun with you and help you test
it out... your real self wanna be free and can't with so many old
people stuck in old ways around you... get with some young folks
or teenagers and be free again...

Quote:

I guess what I am wondering is if other people get these emotional things happening when they listen to a particular kind of music.
yeaaap when i listen to fast Metal, then i just gotta be in a spaceship
or star wars then i just gotta be a part of the galactic war!

Quote:

Does it ever bring out some secret longing that nothing else can?

Am I really strange?

20yrsinBranson

you're normal in a strange world! Give yourself a fun hour in the w/feelings thread then be your own judge... hey you can even be a club
producer and fine new smooth jazz bands to try them out with audiences...

live in your imagination for an hour and watch if that don't
make you curious to look for new jazz bands... just don't put
any brakes on yourself or talk yourself outta stuff...

you can be grownup in the other billion threads that come and go...
your spirit wants to be free is all so free it and be happy!

Jim the teenager who can't drink a beer yet! Haaahaaaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSilver View Post
I'm gonna talk to you as if you were one of us mutated humans who
tend to be teenagers... we do too and we do it cyberally! It's really
fulfillin with the right group of people... there's millions of folks
like you but they play online games like second life or WoW or
play mud/fantasy text games and can be a mage, or a star ship
commander or a musician in second life...

I like bein in charge of a fleet in Metal and you can use your real
feelins... it expand your mind/heart/experiences and give you a
real excitement that comes in your day to day life.

My brain is startin to hurt tryin to talk like a grownup. I'll say
go to the w/feelin thread... put bohemian village (Club owner)
in your title then play the music you're playin and cyber act out
who you are inside. Don't be limited by your body.

yeaaap that is really how it feels... like you're gonna die inside...
see we kids know exactly whatcha talkin about but can you
give that real self inside yourself the freedom its hollerin to
be... if you're inside a singer can you be that etta and write you
gonna sing and make a scene thats inside your head and do it...

If I had more time I would have fun with you and help you test
it out... your real self wanna be free and can't with so many old
people stuck in old ways around you... get with some young folks
or teenagers and be free again...

yeaaap when i listen to fast Metal, then i just gotta be in a spaceship
or star wars then i just gotta be a part of the galactic war!

you're normal in a strange world! Give yourself a fun hour in the w/feelings thread then be your own judge... hey you can even be a club
producer and fine new smooth jazz bands to try them out with audiences...

live in your imagination for an hour and watch if that don't
make you curious to look for new jazz bands... just don't put
any brakes on yourself or talk yourself outta stuff...

you can be grownup in the other billion threads that come and go...
your spirit wants to be free is all so free it and be happy!

Jim the teenager who can't drink a beer yet! Haaahaaaha!
I really do appreciate the reply, and I know that you mean well, but I can't figure out what the hell you're talking about.

Sorry, must be an age thing.

If anybody out there speaks "teenage-ese" and would like to translate this post, I'd be overjoyed to hear it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-31-2009, 01:35 PM

2,897 posts, read 20,341,137 times
Default Translating Teenage-ese

He means go to a thread that will allow you to pretend to be whatever you really are inside.
If you feel you are more sophisticated then take on that persona and fulfill what you dream.

Young people and creative people (writers, actors, designers, musicians, etc.) appreciate their
alter selves whether or not life allows them to fulfill their dreams or not.

So he's saying take control even if it's through text and be free. That's it.

Second Life is a game where you can create an avatar/cyber character, that interacts in the
game itself... a pretty sophisticated game where people have been known to make over 100k
in real life money, selling cyber "virtual" real estate. Depends on who you meet in that game...

It's not the only one by the way... mud games are text cyber worlds where you start out as
a young adventurer and go on adventures that develope that character into a powerful one
with skills/abilities and special powers depending on the race of that character and job..
ranger/mage/cleric/warrior etc...

I've played mud games when they first came out in the late 80s... they were a way that
young programmers learned to code...

Star wars was a favorite... now everything is mainly graphics...

Forgot to translate this part! LOL

He was suggesting if you wanted to stay in this forum... okay, I think it's better if I
pretended... imagine I'm now in the w/feeling thread.

- - - - - - - - -
Title: Bohemian Village (Club Owner)

<squints at this new band that got me up in the middle of the night...
loud sigh... shaking head>

You guys call that jazz? Sit down a minute...

Roger... Come show these young ones what real jazz sounds like...

<Roger and the two-man band take the stage>

Video clip of three leg hop - Kool Man Blues
- - - - - - - - - - -

That's what he meant

What he's suggesting is that before you know it you might find yourself looking
at clubs in a different way in real life, checking out new jazz groups to cyberly
book in your club, looking at club decor, investigating the type of contract signed
or any number of off shoots that come from taking on the persona cyberly that is
deep within yourself.

Young people worldwide are insisting on living their dreams now and they are
choosing to do it cyberly, some are choosing to make real life money through
these worlds, and not wait on the older generation to die off or give them false
hope of opportunity for them to fulfill who they are inside.

Topaz

Last edited by Topaz_Flowers; 12-31-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,323,261 times
Quote:
I listen mostly to "mellow" types of music. Meditative, healing, ambient, and often Smooth Jazz. It's really strange but when I listen to Smooth Jazz, it hits me really hard emotionally. I don't really know if I can explain it so that it makes sense. But I'll try. I need your input.

I live in a rural environment in a predominately red-neck part of the world. Things, for the most part, are agricultural, run-down, dirty. Even though I am near Branson (which is just a hick town that swells dramatically during tourist season), there is a "rural" ambiance that permeates everything here.

Mind you, this is not a bad thing. I am not complaining. I love all the positive aspects of living in the Missouri Ozarks. People are good, property is cheap, gardens grow like crazy....no complaints really.

But, on those occasions that I listen to Smooth Jazz, my heart just wants to blow up because I want something else. I want sophistication. I want to go somewhere else and be someone else. I have such a longing for something (and I am not even sure what it is), but its really painful.

Yeah, I know what you are going to say...."Stop listening to the music". I could do that.

I guess what I am wondering is if other people get these emotional things happening when they listen to a particular kind of music. Does it ever bring out some secret longing that nothing else can?

Am I really strange?

20yrsinBranson

Our tastes and perceptions of music are not innate, they grow and develop as we do and as a result it becomes very personally relevant.

You obviously are wanting something different for your life right now and your subconscious is using music to tell you what it is you're missing. Your association of Jazz with sophistication and your feelings when you hear it reveal what it is you really want. If you had not developed that association you would feel those feelings about something else that you have associated with sophistication. Some people feel that way when they see a movie or a painting or even a furniture catalogue (I'm serious).

I would say that if the feelings are strong and overwhelming and you find yourself listening to the music often just to feel that way then you should really think about changing your life. Life is too short to spend it wishing and yearning, you should just do it. I don't know what your particular situation is but I can tell you that nothing is impossible in this world and you can make your life whatever you want it to be no matter where you are, it's all a matter of attitude and how you see the world.

The idea of taking up a musical instrument was a brilliant one, that would be the perfect thing to do. Perhaps that is the change you are looking for and who knows where it will take you.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,705,534 times
Music takes me away and guides me by the hand out of a bad mood, a bad day or can make me forget the stresses of life. Music is my saving grace. Specific songs take me back to a place in time that I enjoy reminiscing on. They bring me to a specific event and the exact actions I was doing at the time when that song came on the radio.

Some songs are so great that they cause me to forget to breath for a moment because I fall so deep into that song and it's lyrics. Some songs inspire me to keep up the faith during this economic depression when nothing around me shows any hope. I have a different song for every emotion and mood changer.

Music is my friend that I can share, keep to myself or shut it off with the push of my finger. Music is a passion to me, I dont just listen to it, I feel it, I live it, and can even put my self body into a good song that tells a story. Bad music like wrap and hippity hoppty angers me into clenched fists so I avoid it at all cost. Great music makes me feel guilty that I am playing it and someone else is not.

Music is always on around me while at work, at play and sometimes at sleep. Truely great music is meant to be listened to very loud...just shy of the point of distortion. Feel the speaker impulses in your chest, live it, hear it and hear it loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music