Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

For the umpteenth time I listened to a musical artist get profiled by one of NPR's music critics. The story was great, the music was great, but I bet just like always we will never hear about this artist again, at least in the mainstream. The first time I remember this phenomenon was with an alternative rock band called the "Casual Gods" over twenty years ago. I guess if you are so cool you impress those intellectuals no chance the masses will dig you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I don't think it is the kiss of death.
Jack White is doing okay.
So are the Fiery Furnaces, Avett Brothers and Fleet Foxes.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 AM

319 posts, read 634,481 times
The Decemberists seem to be on NPR once or twice a year also.

I was having a discussion about NPR music programming not too long ago with an old roommate of mine. We both agreed that when we were kids in the 80s, it seems that all NPR had on the air was either classical music, Prairie Home Companion or BBC News (all of which, are still on NPR), but it seems that since Generation X started to be involved with some of the programming decisons on NPR, you're seeing music genres and bands on NPR that never would have reached out to each other 25 years ago.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
As long as they still do that other stuff. I don't listen to NPR anymore, but mostly I want it to be BBC, classical music, and jazz.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I remember Portugal.The Man being profiled a few months ago. I put them on my list based on that and recently got into them.

There's this: //www.city-data.com/forum/12317413-post99.html

I'm not sure the question is quite right. Many of these acts are in no way situated for nor are they seeking a lot of mainstream attention. That's not the same as a "death."

Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Death is mainstream culturally...Frank Zappa regarded MCA records once as Musicians Cemetery of America.

A few of many examples of what I heard on All Things Considered and PRI's The World...and later purchased. These all came with a story and interview to boot.

Justin Adams: Desert Road, from CD Desert Road-on World Village label 468009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8rQ-_JqEfA

Cambodian Rocks-read sidebar on video...in short, the Khmer Rouge killed off a lot of these Western influenced artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY48...eature=related

All bumper music played on NPR can be tracked down when using their site...

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...prgId=37&agg=1

All you get from Rush is one (1) Chrissy Hynde tune. Maybe if you buy a tie, sweater or a book will they play something else, like a Paul Shanklin parody, which can be funny at times, in a playground taunt sense.

See? I told you so!!!

Last edited by newmex; 01-06-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Death is mainstream...Frank Zappa regarded MCA records once as Musicians Cemetery of America.

A few of many examples of what I heard on All Things Considered and PRI's The World...and later purchased. These all came with a story and interview to boot.

Justin Adams: Desert Road, from CD Desert Road-on World Village label 468009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8rQ-_JqEfA

Cambodian Rocks-read sidebar on video...in short, the Khmer Rouge killed off a lot of these Western influenced artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY48...eature=related

All bumper music played on NPR can be tracked down when using their site...

All you get from Rush is one (1) Chrissy Hynde tune. Maybe if you buy a tie, sweater or a book will they play something else, like a Paul Shanklin parody, which can be funny at times.

See? I told you so!!!
I can't see the Youtube footage here at work. But does the Cambodian piece touch on the band "Dengue Fever"? It's a bunch of LA musicians with a singer who was originally from Cambodia that does a mixture of originals and covers of Cambodian artists that were killed off by the Khmer Rouge. Great band!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As long as they still do that other stuff. I don't listen to NPR anymore, but mostly I want it to be BBC, classical music, and jazz.
Why? There's so much more out there to be discovered that I think it's a shame if NPR doesn't do all it can to look at different forms of music in the country. I think there's a place for classical music and jazz (especially jazz as it's a truly American art form), but there should be equal room for folk, rock and hip hop too (arguably also truly American art forms).

Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
I can't see the Youtube footage here at work. But does the Cambodian piece touch on the band "Dengue Fever"? It's a bunch of LA musicians with a singer who was originally from Cambodia that does a mixture of originals and covers of Cambodian artists that were killed off by the Khmer Rouge. Great band!
All tracks on the cd have no titles, because all source tapes and info were destroyed, along with the artists themselves, yet I think there is another companion cd that does have credits...I'll check out Dengue Fever, thanks!!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
I think many NPR featured bands would never hit the top of the charts anyway, with or without NPR. But an NPR feature is huge for a band, and will put their music in front of the type of people who would be likely check out the band further.

I have found many artists on NPR new to me, or ones I was only vaugely aware of. Also, lot of great interviews with classic artists of all genres, esp on FRESH AIR.

Some bands might find a NPR feature like having an "uncool" stamp on the forehead, but not many I'm sure

RE: Rush/Pretenders, I have always been puzzled by his use of their songs, as CH is a very vocal liberal, but checks are checks I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music