Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 PM

200 posts, read 605,103 times

Advertisements

You know the ones - the guys and gals who never made it big, but dammit they should of, could of, or would of, if only.....
I just came from the H.O.P.E. for Haiti benefit show here in Rochester, with 15 local acts on the bill, and the Buddhahood, a local band that actually had a genre created specifically for them (worldternative) were amazing as always. They get my vote as Rochester's best "local" band. How about your town? And again, no bands who have "made it", no "national" acts, just the bands that play mostly in your city whose shows you absolutely have to catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Sean McCarthy
I thought he had something up on Youtube, but can't find it.
His voice is like a comfortable pair of flip-flops. Listen to "Life In A Beach Town" and "Home."

Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
There are none.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,104,413 times
I've found a lot of really good bands here in Charlotte.

Here's one of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leB_WxNjN0M

Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
This area has had many great bands. Many have developed national followings and the respect of more successful bands. For example the Original Sins had an album produced by Peter Buck and one of their earlier albums Big Soul was written about favorably by many critics. JT of the Sins is still active in his band Brother JT and also with the Creatures Of The Golden Dawn. In 2006 hanging after the show with Peter Buck and Scott Mcaughey I mentioned John Terlesky and their eyes lit up. PB was thrilled to hear he was still around and we also talked about other members. Scott Mcaughey chimed in and said, "I love JT." "Glad he's still rocking."

The Teeth who were around for most of last decade were on their way to becoming big, but apparant sibling rivalries ended things. Now apparantley they are back together minus one of the brothers and touring the West Coast. They have toured previously and are big in Austin and Colorado.

The Psychlone Rangers who were around in the 90's toured with Guided By Voices and the Breeders. Kim Deal of the Breeders became a fan and mentioned them in a Rolling STone best of the year article in the mid 90's.

This is to be continued later today.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
You know the ones - the guys and gals who never made it big, but dammit they should of, could of, or would of, if only.....
I just came from the H.O.P.E. for Haiti benefit show here in Rochester, with 15 local acts on the bill, and the Buddhahood, a local band that actually had a genre created specifically for them (worldternative) were amazing as always. They get my vote as Rochester's best "local" band. How about your town? And again, no bands who have "made it", no "national" acts, just the bands that play mostly in your city whose shows you absolutely have to catch.
In my apparent drunken euphoria last night I forgot to post this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbA6tkAZkM
There had been a better video that focused more on the giant dancing alien, and there was another from a different angle that had more belly dancer action, but I cant find those.
And here's the "Park ave march" from the next year and a bit of background on the band.
Samba March on Vimeo

Last edited by aaron4040; 02-07-2010 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,104,413 times
Wavy Space have developed quite a following in the short time they have been together. Love there sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgYb...eature=related

and here's there myspace page

Wavy Space on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Zen For Primates have been around for 20 years with their unique cabaret sound. Led by the hilariously sarcastic T. Roth on vocals Zen has been wowing audiences in the Lehigh Valley, NY, and Philadelphia for 2 decades. They also played LA once many years ago. The lineup has changed a few times over the years except for T. Roth and guitarist Mike Krisukas. They pretty much call the shots.

Tavern Tan play some legitimate blues based roots rock and really stand out amongst a field of imposters. Their latest album, A Barrell Full is superb and easily better than anything nominated at the Grammys last wk.

Across the hall from me on his computer is the legendary Stewart Brodian. What a legend he is. Go to Web hosting, domain name registration and web services by 1&1 Internet.

There are plenty of jam bands around here too. I can't stand them. Some of these bands actually are doing well, but I am not promoting them on here. They've clogged up the scene enough.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 AM

319 posts, read 634,696 times
Milwaukee's always had a pretty good scene. My favorite local bands right now are The .357 String Band (fast dirty bluegrass...none of that hippie stuff), Call Me Lightning (unabashed Who lovers), El Gordo (Spanish hip hop), Speedfreaks (80s skate thrash), Pezzetino (solo accordian/piano player), Plexi 3 and The Flips (two bands that mine that 60s girl group sound), Decibully ("indie" rock I guess...although I hate that term), Jaill (just signed by Sub Pop), The Goodnight Loving (jangly garage rock, Byrds like guitars). There's more that are slipping my mind right now, I'm sure.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM

For some reason reggae and dub has been huge in Rochester for the last five years - don't get me wrong, I love it, but why what most would consider Island music is huge in a snow belt city I can only guess. In addition to the Buddhahood, there's also Giant Panda Guerrilla Dub Squad, Mrs. Skanatto, Mosaic Foundation, John Browns Body & J-san and the Analogue Sons (a couple of great Ithaca acts that never get enough national love for whatever reason). There is also a bunch of other great local stuff, like the Chesterfield Kings, who helped spawn a new generation of garage rock about 15 years ago and are still kickin. Walri are an acid trip gone horribly wrong (or right?). Devall Music and Spirit of Ontario are kind of on a Niel Young Bob Dylan kick, while Hounds of Hell are my favorite local dirty rock act. Gaylord was great (described by a local music critic as "P-funk meets Slayer") and had a flirted with the big time in the 90's but I'm not sure what they're up to now. Night Gallery is also very interesting stuff - haunting chambery type stuff. Just grabbed their CD at a gig last week, so I haven't fully digested it. Also a lot of stuff that "clogs up the scene" here as well. Noodling for 5 minutes in A major does not a song make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music