Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times

Advertisements

What's your take on it? My bias is against it, but I saw a thing on Independent Lens last night that did at least give me second thoughts. I wish I could remember the name of the musician who said in so many words that it is no different than how a photographer compares to a painter. These guys it seems are creating their own sound, they believe by drawing from the sounds of a culture. There's no doubt that what they come up with has an original sound, yet they are "taking" recorded licks and not paying anybody for it. A landmark case was filed by Gilbert "Alone Again Naturally" O'Sullivan who won that law suit.

What do you think? Unique Artistic Expression? Or out and out robbery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHw8w...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSTvTLCupgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJqihkLcGc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I've gone back and forth about it.
The first time I heard it, I think it was the famous Vanilla Ice song which took Bowie and Queen's "Under Pressure" riff. I was scandalized!
Since then, I've realized that there has been sampling of one sort or another for a long time, but still, to me it *is* kind of ripping off, it *is* kinda lazy.
I think some artists do a better job of melding, weaving their sample in, than others--and getting authorization is at the heart of it.
Then there are mash-ups, like Kid Rock's All Summer Long. Kid Rock went to a lot of trouble to make sure the original artists were credited.
On the song, he used Warren Zevon's son to play piano, he had band members from Lynryrd Skynyrd play too. But still, it's kinda lazy.
However, with sampling or mash-ups, you do get the original artist's music heard again.
That's why I always tend to have mixed, and not totally negative feelings.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've gone back and forth about it.
The first time I heard it, I think it was the famous Vanilla Ice song which took Bowie and Queen's "Under Pressure" riff. I was scandalized!
Since then, I've realized that there has been sampling of one sort or another for a long time, but still, to me it *is* kind of ripping off, it *is* kinda lazy.
I think some artists do a better job of melding, weaving their sample in, than others--and getting authorization is at the heart of it.
Then there are mash-ups, like Kid Rock's All Summer Long. Kid Rock went to a lot of trouble to make sure the original artists were credited.
On the song, he used Warren Zevon's son to play piano, he had band members from Lynryrd Skynyrd play too. But still, it's kinda lazy.
However, with sampling or mash-ups, you do get the original artist's music heard again.
That's why I always tend to have mixed, and not totally negative feelings.
Yeah, George Clinton was on and he said that it has revived his career. But then, and I forget the recording that used something of his, not every song writer is "used" to the point that they become popular all over again. If they paid them a fair price then I would have no problem with it. James Brown's drummer, Stubblefield apparently has some beats that work very well in these mixes, and he is often sampled, but in his words, "I haven't seen a dime." Could be it would be cost prohibitive to pay everyone that they use on any given album.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I loved Garbage sampling The Clash for "Stupid Girl."

My brother samples "found sounds" and creates musical compositions. It's pretty awesome.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

408 posts, read 723,694 times
eh..

as someone who has put a beat or two together, I think it's both... but at the same time.. most of the songs that are sampled are usually wwaaayy past their expiration date and are often just used by record companies as a means to draw water from a well that has long been dry... I don't think the artist often care if they've been sampled... record company want they money though.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times
More (free) documentaries discussing pros and cons ...in case anyone is interested...

RIP:A Remix Manifesto
RiP: A Remix Manifesto on Vimeo

Good Copy / Bad Copy
GOOD COPY BAD COPY

Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 AM

319 posts, read 634,391 times
I think it's great as long as the proper people get credited and/or paid. Rock and Roll's been ripping off riffs since it started, the only difference with a sample is that they're using the real riff instead of pretending it's a new one they made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music