Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 PM

191 posts, read 272,916 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why, Sabbath w/ Ozzy,or Sabbath (Heaven & Hell) w/ RJD?

I've always been partial to the Dio era myself. I'm a fan of the Ozzy era and I have to respect their influence but to me, Black Sabbath took it to the next level with Ronnie James Dio. In my opinon, he's the better singer and musician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Default Black Sabbath for Ozzy and solo for Dio, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post

I've always been partial to the Dio era myself. I'm a fan of the Ozzy era and I have to respect their influence but to me, Black Sabbath took it to the next level with Ronnie James Dio. In my opinon, he's the better singer and musician.
I can't really pick, it's an apple and oranges thing to me.

I think DIO is the better singer and lyricist (Tony writes most of the music no matter who's singing), but I prefer the DIO BS stuff better than the H&H stuff, even though it's essentially the same band.

Of course there are others who have fronted BS, my fav is Ian Gillan. BORN AGAIN is a very underrated album. Very dark, but still with the underlying sense of fun that he brings to bands.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post

Even though I like Dio better as a singer I prefer the Ozzy era Sabbath a whole lot more cause the majority of my favorite Sabbath songs are with Ozzy, I definitely agree that Dio took Sabbath to a whole new level and revived their careers when he replaced Ozzy as the singer of Sabbath

Old 01-25-2010, 06:45 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Ozzy in Black Sabbath and Dio in Rainbow.
Or both in their own band.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I find Ozzy's voice to be much more in character with Black Sabbath's music.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I can't really pick, it's an apple and oranges thing to me.

I think DIO is the better singer and lyricist (Tony writes most of the music no matter who's singing), but I prefer the DIO BS stuff better than the H&H stuff, even though it's essentially the same band.

Of course there are others who have fronted BS, my fav is Ian Gillan. BORN AGAIN is a very underrated album. Very dark, but still with the underlying sense of fun that he brings to bands.
You make a very good point with the apples and oranges comment. Sabbath with Dio and Sabbath with Ozzy were two very different bands, which can make it difficult to compare.

For some reason I couldn't really get into the Born Again album, although it had a couple of good songs. However, I wish Ian Gillan would have stuck around with the band a bit longer and recorded a couple more albums with them. It would have been interesting to see the direction they would have gone.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
How great would a DEEP PURPLE/HEAVEN AND HELL tour be?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
How great would a DEEP PURPLE/HEAVEN AND HELL tour be?
That would be a great tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music