Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 14,854 times

Advertisements

Do you think the oil spill will get to Charleston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM

194 posts, read 748,448 times
Lawsuits have already been filed against BP by SC and we have yet to see a drop of oil. Until the leak is stopped it is hard to say where the oil will go but SC DHEC has already collected water samples off the SC Coast. This is a tragic situation and the response in the Gulf has been criticized. If oil does come up the East Coast there is no way to tell where it might end up. Hopefully BP will get more of the oil out of the Gulf before it gets into the Gulf Stream.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,813 times
Until Americans appetite for oil ceases...I don't want to hear people complaining and demonizing BP...
We love our cars, and we love the petroleum that fuels them...

I'm on BP's side here...

And all these stupid law suits are just gonna mean higher fuel prices for us down the road...

Like 5 or 6 dollors a gallon....

Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
My husband today said jokingly that we'll really see things start to heat up when that oil reaches Palm Beach, Florida and rich people's yachts and private beaches start getting oil all over them. He was just joking, but maybe he has a point too.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Until Americans appetite for oil ceases...I don't want to hear people complaining and demonizing BP...

I'm on BP's side here...

And all these stupid law suits are just gonna mean higher fuel prices for us down the road...

I just said the EXACT same thing today. Minus the price quote!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

I'm on BP's side here...

In Europe, they pay more than that a gallon. What the problem is?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
In Europe, they pay more than that a gallon. What the problem is?
The problem is or would be...for one, obviously their economy and or smaller societies, and or distance traveled, allows them to absorb those kind of prices more easily than could be handled here...

Last time it was fuel at around $5.00 a gallon, that broke the camels back...and started that whole economic melt down just prior to Pres Bush leaving office...

Regardless of what Europe pays, we cannot handle those kind of prices over here....

Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Do I understand correctly that the oil from the Gulf is shipped to Japan, while we buy our oil from the Middle East? What's up with that?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Do I understand correctly that the oil from the Gulf is shipped to Japan, while we buy our oil from the Middle East? What's up with that?
Well, *some* American's don't want to drill for oil. We'd rather buy from foreign companies and then complain about prices. And then they complain we are too reliant on the Middle East for oil.

Remember when the gas very quickly creeped up to $3.00 + down here? No longer did you see the SUVs that blocked the sun. Or trucks that took up the entire lane...they were all banished to the driveway (or in my case, my neighbors yard!! ) But now you see them out again, in full force...and we haven't learned our lesson at all. We have gone back to these humongo cars/trucks/SUVs that suck up the gas, and again, we are more reliant on the oil companies.

We truly have no one else to blame but ourselves for the problem we are facing.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM

I also understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the environmentalists forced BP to drill way out in the Gulf in water a mile deep rather than letting them drill closer to shore where it was only about 100 feet (or yards?) deep - which would have been a much easier hole to plug than one a mile down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area