Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,367 times

Advertisements

Guess they aren't all awful like some of the posts seem to indicate.......

2 Horry County high schools named among best in U.S. - Breaking News - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/10/15/1755578/2-horry-county-high-schools-named.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,785 times
Vrexy, As you already know I am pretty happy with my sons new school. There have been a couple quirky things that gave me pause but I think that is just a North / South thing and it is just different and not anything to dislike the school over.

That being said the article is not accurate if I am reading it correctly. The article states that SC ranks 20 in Silver and Gold schools and they do not. They received 1 gold 2 silver and that ranks them 33 out of 48 states and the district. So out of 604 awards in these two categories they got 3. They also received 22 bronze out of 1321. All and all not good showing.

I completely agree that the schools in our neck of the woods are far from awful (and better than where I came from) but as a state, and I have said this so many times I am sure y'all just want me to shut up, it is the poorer school districts that suffer from lack of funding.

I was trying to see how we rank in worst schools and found this. South Carolina had 11 in the top 25 and 38 in the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedtop 100. I don't know what areas of SC are less affluent but I would reckon that many of the schools on this list are located there. I hope someone more familiar with the area will look it over and let me know.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,639 times
This is going by test scores I am sure. In my opinion there is more too school then just taking tests. I feel the schools here don't offer the extra as does our old school in NJ. Plus the way the class is taught, my DS class has never done a book report - what happens when he does have to start writing reports.

In the elementary school, they don't offer band, choir, or any extra clubs after school.

When we went to our meeting for the 5th. grade class with the teachers & principal - the principal was talking about how the kids are stressed because they have to fit so much in during the day, and they are not there to entertain your kids. I understand that, but school can be fun & still learn, and the kids should not be stressed about school -

Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I feel the schools here don't offer the extra as does our old school in NJ...
I never lived in NJ, but I'm willing to bet you paid quite a bit more in taxes to get those extras. My Pappy always told me "sometimes you git what ya' pay fer..." Your comment begs some questions -
If it guaranteed more extras for your son, would you pay NJ taxes to live here?
Would your neighbors who don't have kids be willing to pay NJ taxes so your son could have extras?
Is the wx so much better here that it's worth having poorer schools?
Are you willing to move back to NJ to give your child a better education?

For most of us, life is all about compromise. Sounds like you've chosen which items you're willing to compromise.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:18 AM

61 posts, read 213,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post

In the elementary school, they don't offer band, choir, or any extra clubs after school.
This is incorrect info, my wife had taught in the elementary schools here for going on 15 years, and the elementary schools do offer band and choir. Aynor Elementary has a great steel drum band as do many of the other elementary schools in the area. They do offer band, choir and all kids are welcome to participate! The elementary schools offer sports programs as well through the County Parks and Rec board, I referee soccer for them three nights a week.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 AM
GJM

So true we paid much more in taxes in NJ - If I could move back I probably would but that isn't going to happen.

No our school does not offer choir or band where you would learn in an instrument. They will have the steel drums played at a PTO meeting, but those kids are picked by the music teacher, just as the art club you have to be picked for.

I can't understand the day my son has Technology - "computer class", I call it the babysitting class, they don't learn anything about the computer. They sit and do a Math Program on the computer. What about teaching keyboarding! Plus he has this class 2 times a week - they took away a day of PE for this!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 AM

61 posts, read 213,947 times
This isn't NJ and your tax base is much lower here. I don't know what school your child attends, but by district policy these programs are supposed to be in place, and you should complain. At my sons school any child can participate in these programs they aren't "hand picked" it sounds to me like your school needs reported. My son is in Kindergarten and his class does different things during computer lab which is held for elementary schools once a week per district standards. Whatever school your child is attending needs to be reported if they are missing other "specials" to have computer lab twice a week.....it is a once a week class.

I am not doubting what you say, but your story does have some major holes in it that don't fit in with facts, and if they are true, your childs school needs to be reported ASAP to the district office.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 AM
GJM

I understand it isn't NJ - but why can't school offer teaching the computer instead of doing a computer program, a teacher is in the class for that.

Honestly I don't think the district would care that kids are hand picked for the very few clubs they offer.

I would think the district would know that they have computer lab twice a week, since a PE teacher was let go about a year ago, they use to have PE twice a week. If the district didn't realize this, then they aren't doing a very good job. They have 2 gym teachers for 1100 kids.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM

245 posts, read 762,256 times
My child's Horry Co school teaches computer classes....the only time they play games is before school in the morning and other special reasons...plus they also have special time during class in their classroom....each child gets a little time throughout the month. We do access compass odyssey through his laptop and I find it very educational and not "just a game".
I am not sure how old your child is but how do you know what is going on in the computer class? I KNOW what happens at our school because I have observed the class.
Specials are suppose to be PE, library, computer class, music, and art. That is a county wide mandate not a school choice.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM

245 posts, read 762,256 times
we have one pe teacher for around 750 kids....he is great coming up with neat games and participation....he does just fine all by himself

I wouldn't know why you would need more than two.

Last edited by southernbychoice14; 10-19-2010 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: sic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area