Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,877,608 times

Advertisements

Wherever you finally choose to settle there will be issues. It would be really sad to let a phobia about bugs prevent you from considering Florida or SC. You are good to do the research. Now you know that the matter is as simple as spraying your home regularly or having a professional do it. I take other measures because I don't want the chemcial exposure for my family (and furry family). The amount of rainfall really seems to impact the level of insect exposure you have in and around your home. Truly, you can easily address any insect issue you might encounter here or in Fla. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,924,369 times
I think the OP gave up on the idea of moving South.
I loved this thread!
Thanks to all who made it entertaining and OOOOO so true!
You all forgot to tell her about the cute little lizards that eat some of the bugs!
They are sooo cute, you just have to watch when you open your front
door that they don't get in, I odn't want my cat to eat them for a snack
poor cute little things! LOL
If the OP is reading this yet, just imagine any bug you have
ever seen, and picture it at least 10 times bigger down here.
I'm not exagerating! LOL!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,243 times
My mom's pointer points the lizards. Guess there is a shortage of pheasants for her to point, so now she points them and the frogs. And of course the plethora of bird feeder birds my mom attracts to her house.

The little guys eat bugs (right?) so they are fine by me. Anything that eats the bugs is more than welcome by my house. I'd even take a whole flock (?) of bats in the summer!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM

13 posts, read 35,338 times
Default Lizards need to meet my Palmetto bug friends

Now let's be clear right up front about why I choose to post more about insect, rodent and tiny amphibian comings and goings than any number of topics in my subscribed forums...(although much of what I profess regarding our sub-human companions could be cut and pasted to any number of posts in the "relationship" forum and perhaps be taken even more seriously....but alas that's "a topic for another day"). No, it's all about pickin' your battles...and the village didn't lose their idiot when I moved here 'cause I figured out how to win those battles! I'm bigger and stronger and meaner than the little creepy crawly sh**s and I ain't afeared of 'em no more. If I could figure how to sprout more legs I could be faster than 'em too. Makes me madder than a midget with a yo-yo. But I digress..........lizards.....the best thing about outsmarting a gecko (aside from the one who sells insurance) is knowing the exact second to step on it's tail and watch it turn and give you a big pissed now that he has to grow a damn new one! And I say to him as he scampers off with his tail tucked between his legs.....oops, sorry, he no got a tail now........"while you're growin' a new one I'll be sharpening up the cleats on my golf shoes so the next dang time you try to slither into MY house.....I'll be waitin for ya"..........

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin1020 View Post
.....the best thing about outsmarting a gecko (aside from the one who sells insurance) is knowing the exact second to step on it's tail...
I also wondered what happened to those kids that like to torture animals. I guess they grow up to be realtors. May your home always be blessed with multitudes of guests. You know, those 4, 6, 8, 1000-legged ones who crawl and fly silently thru the nite, leaving tiny footprints on your face while you sleep...

My friend is watchin' you...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,367 times
Default My thoughts, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I also wondered what happened to those kids that like to torture animals. I guess they grow up to be realtors. May your home always be blessed with multitudes of guests. You know, those 4, 6, 8, 1000-legged ones who crawl and fly silently thru the nite, leaving tiny footprints on your face while you sleep...

My friend is watchin' you...

Thanks, PD, for this response! I was more than a bit horrified by that post you were referring to.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,785 times
I love the pic PD, he is adorable! As for chopin1020, I don't have much to add to what PD, so eloquently, said already ... except karma can be a b/#ch sometimes.

To the OP, I agree with Tinabean. Don't let a phobia about bugs be a deterrent. Just the thought of a palmetto bug gave me the creeps, but they don't really bother me anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them in my house, but there are ways to prevent that. I have only seen a handful since I have been in SC (about 1 1/2 years) and they have all been outside. The first one I saw took about 5 years off my life , but a few experiences later I was barely phased by the ugly little buggers.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 35,338 times
Default Tails and Toes

Looks like I stepped on more than just lizard tails!!

PD, vrexy, and neecewh...........lighten up! I was just joking..........

Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,809 times
I read into the humor.. LOL.. That's the thing about mere text on a forum as opposed to true, live, interaction...

I have lizards come into my patio all the time. Sometimes, they sneak into the house. They are QUICK whne they want to get somewhere.. but, I grew up in the country, and I'm a bit quicker, and hopefully a LOT smarter, than they are... so it's always a losing battle for them... Out the door they go.. Go eat some bugs.. keep my back yard from being overly infested and whatnot. They serve their purpose..

Snakes, OTOH, that's a whole diff story...

Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,785 times
rrufast, you are right and sometimes it is very difficult to interpret the tone of text. My humor radar must be off, and if I misread, choppin, I apologize. I actually love the little guys, I even named one that visited me on my porch one day. I have only seen one snake since I have been here and he was very little and flattened by a car tire in a parking lot. Although I felt bad for him, I do hope he is the last one I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area