Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,266 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to the Conway-Myrtle Beach Area. I graduated from college in December with a B.S. in Clinical Psychology. I hope to return to school to earn a degree in Special Education. I am very interested in Coastal Carolina University's program, which led me to the decision of moving to the area. I know very little about the area, except for what I have read on the internet as well as some of the posting on here. I will be visiting the area next week to look at the campus as well as places to live. However, I would like some "first-hand" knowledge of what the area is like, the safest places to live, the traffic, jobs, etc.

First off, I would really like to try to find a safe place to live. I am from a small town on the coast of Maine, where major crime in not an issue. I lived in Providence, Rhode Island for a little over six months, and the crime rate there did not bother me. I want to live in an area that I am able to walk around alone and not have to worry (being a young female). I also, do not want to have to worry about someone breaking into my house or car.

Secondly, the job market. As I have a degree in psychology, I hope to continue to work with children who have social, behavioral, and cognitive problems as I do here in Maine. I understand that our country has fallen on hard economic times, which has made for an increasingly tougher job market. From older posts, it sounds like the Conway-MB area is an incredibly hard area to find a job in, is that still the current situation?

I also want to live in an area that is pet friendly. I have a three year old Golden Retriever who loves to be outside and go for walks. Is there a dog beach at MB? I know some places in San Diego and Florida that have beaches designated strictly for dogs, which would be great as he loves to swim.

As for places to live, I would like to live in an apartment or townhouse complex. Places such as Flintlake, The Abbey at Ridgewood Plantation, and Palmetto Pointe have all caught my attention, because they are reasonably priced and allow pets. I have read a few mixed reviews about each of the places, which is why I would really like some help insight from locals.

Any and all information that I can be provided with would be very helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

790 posts, read 1,622,232 times
We live in Arrowhead (where Flintlake Apts are located). I can't speak to the apartment management, but can assure you that the neighborhood is very safe and in my walks around Flinklake, they appear to be nice from the exterior. The grounds around them appear to be clean and well managed.

As you will see elsewhere in this forum, the job market is tight. If you have experience in a restaurant, you can probably find work but if you want something in your degree field, it might be tough. The school might be able to help you find something in your field since you will be attending there.

Re the dog beach, I'm not aware of any. Dogs are restricted on the beach between specific hours but since I don't have a dog, I don't know for certain what they are....I think they are allowed after 5:00 during the summer and anytime during the off-season.

PM me if you would like my wife and I to meet you for lunch/dinner at a restaurant while you're here to share what we know.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
There is also Bark Park near the Market Commons (old Air Force base area) with a pond.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,266 times
Thanks for the information. What about the commute from the Carolina Forest area to Conway? From what I have read, it sounds like I'll have to deal with some traffic. Is that a constant or are there peak hours?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Mornings TO Conway shouldn't be bad, but after work FROM Conway could get nasty as people head home and to the beach. Once you're a "local" you'll probably find some back roads to help you avoid the main drag of Route 501. Ask your neighbors - a good icebreaker to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area