Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. I'm thinking about buying a condo on Greens Boulevard. My friend who is in Garden City tells me it doesn't look like a good area. I've searched the forum here and found one person saying "avoid this area" but two also saying they're quite happy with their condo purchases. I've been to Myrtle Beach twice and was right there next to it at Broadway on the Beach. It didn't strike me as a terrible area. Is it ghetto or what? I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,545 times
Since I live in Forestbrook, I can only tell you what I read in the paper. The area immediately south of Broadway at the Beach (Greens Blvd area) seems to have a fair amount of crime that seems to be gang-type related. You might try calling the MB police dept to see if they can give you more info but you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,824 times
CT Yankee is correct, contact the local PD for stats and info about the Greens Blvd area.

Better yet, visit the area a few times, and at different times of the day, evening and late night. I recommend this of any prospective area, especially if you are not familiar with it.

At the end of the day, so long as YOU are comfortable with your decision, that's all that matters..

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,475 times
Thanks guys for your help. I just discovered this article.

More than 100 violent crimes in Greens Blvd. community since 2008 | WCBD-TV 2

What really makes upsets me is I asked the realtor about the area and he said "Perfectly safe. Been there at all times during the day and there are usually children playing"

Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM

The sad fact about most agents and Realtors is that they will tell you essentially whatever it takes to make the sale, they just don't have the guts to admit it.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
The sad fact about most agents and Realtors is that they will tell you essentially whatever it takes to make the sale, they just don't have the guts to admit it.
True but also it's against fair housing laws and code of conduct to say "this is a bad neighborhood" or things like that. I moved here from another state of course had the same questions about specific neighborhoods and the Realtor couldn't give me her opinion if it's good or bad, it's relative to what a person thinks is good or bad. It seems unhelpful I know but by law they just can't say it.
I would call the local police and ask questions, research the internet do things like this and ask on forums. This is not the only forum for this area. There are also discussion sections on Craigs List. If possible, go to the neighborhood and talk to neighbors. Go to the neighborhood at different times of the day and at night, see what's going on.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Completely understand Fair Housing, etc.. my point is that most agents/Realtors will say ANYTHING to make a sale. And I do mean ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
True but also it's against fair housing laws and code of conduct to say "this is a bad neighborhood" or things like that. I moved here from another state of course had the same questions about specific neighborhoods and the Realtor couldn't give me her opinion if it's good or bad, it's relative to what a person thinks is good or bad. It seems unhelpful I know but by law they just can't say it.
I would call the local police and ask questions, research the internet do things like this and ask on forums. This is not the only forum for this area. There are also discussion sections on Craigs List. If possible, go to the neighborhood and talk to neighbors. Go to the neighborhood at different times of the day and at night, see what's going on.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
One of my friends and myself and my current husband lived there one summer and I wouldn't do it again. While the location was convenient (I was the part time Beer Tub Babe at Revolutions Nightclub) there was a lot of drug activity present.

Also, some of the condos are very ghetto. One of my girlfriends owns four of those condos and rents them out by the bedrooms.

Also, the area flooded horribly when it rains.

The upside of this area is that homes and condos are cheap.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,778,039 times
There is an area just east of Greens Blvd. down Joe White ave. (10th ave.) that is ghettoooo! I'm black and have lived in Harlem and Jersey City NJ so I'm no thin skinned chick. Those folks are creepy as hell! There are literally groups of dudes at all times of the day and night hanging on the corners and skulking about looking for trouble you might say. The police plaza and City Hall are nearby and they don't care! I unwittingly took a stroll there and my boss told me in no uncertain terms to NEVER do that again. They prey on tourists who come in this time of year and stay in the many condo buildings up and down Greens. I'd say look at some properties further north on the other side of Broadway at the Beach.
Oh and BTW the rape stats are off the charts for the city. I'd post the link but it's from a competing site so look up info on the crime rate comparison for two cities.

Last edited by Ticatica; 05-30-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

120 posts, read 289,442 times
thanks for telling it like it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area