Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 23,601 times

Advertisements

Looking into the above and I will have a job upon arrival. I have 2 children (6 & 9). Wife is an Elementary school teacher and will want to teach. Wilmington, NC is also a possibility. Looking for good schools, 4br 2 bath (up to $250k) in a family oriented community. Don't want to live "down town" and don't need to live on the beach. Don't mind reasonable drive for recreation. Plan on staying till kids are out of H.S. Will rent for first year. Opinions?...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
I could easily be mistaken, but I'm not aware of a town in SC named Horry. Horry County is located in the NE part of the state, and happens to be the largest county in SC. As such, it's got a broad range of demographics, and living in, say, Myrtle Beach would be quite different than living in Ketchuptown. Much of the county is very rural.

Greer is in the Piedmont section of SC, quite a bit geographically different than the Horry County area. It's got the advantage of 4 seasons (more or less), closer to mountains, and closer to Greenville, one of SC's more progressive cities.

Although there some very good schools in SC, I'm not a big fan of our state's education system. We just refused to accept over $140 million from the Federal gov't for education, which would have funded almost 2900 badly-needed teacher jobs. I am grateful our grandkids are in NC schools; IMO a far stronger educational environment. Given that you have two school-age kids and a teacher for a wife, I recommend taking a good look at Wilmington, a neat city in a great location. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

790 posts, read 1,623,273 times
PawleysDude, please understand that my comment is not meant to offend or start a political discussion. I just want to clarify the situation on the $140M in funds so that people looking into moving to the area understand the situation. SC did not qualify for these funds and despite the best efforts of our congressmen in DC to obtain a waiver, the waiver was not granted. So, even if SC had applied for the funds, the application would have been denied...according to the article in the Sun News this morning. Once had to read deep into the article to discover these facts that belied the thoughts of the person writing the headline. Again, please don't take offense.

I agree that SC school quality is spotty...one has to research into which community schools are going to provide the best education...they are there...you just have to be particular on where you live.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
PawleysDude, please understand that my comment is not meant to offend or start a political discussion...
You're absolutely right, and no offense taken. But people looking to move to our state, particularly those who teach or have children, should also know that SC does not qualify because they failed to budget sufficient state funds in support of schools, with SC being the only state in the union that failed to qualify.

Regardless, it should also be pointed out that SC's Superintendent of Education was quoted as saying: "Even if it did [qualify], he wouldn’t seek the money, noting he opposed bailouts..." <Money for SC to Go Elsewhere> (http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/08/10/2323696/dept-of-education-money-for-sc.html - broken link)

You're right, we didn't qualify, but it was a conscious decision not to qualify and to refuse this money. A waiver wasn't the answer, the legislature needed to step up and support education, and they failed to do that. Just my $0.02...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,853 times
Trust me, if I could do it over I would not have moved here because of the schools. And my son is in an area where the schools are better and they are still not what they should or could be.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

9 posts, read 13,620 times
Greer SC has some very highly rated schools. There are also many very highly ranked private schools. Greer SC is a beautiful area, and I have loved raising my family here!! Great location, great affordability, and so much to do in the Greenville area. You will love it here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area