Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM

770 posts, read 3,688,442 times

Advertisements

I have been to Myrtle Beach a few times on vacation, last year we came we stayed at the Westgate Hotel...however, they are booked the week we want to come and do not have any oceanfront suites available. I was wondering if you could possibly recommend a clean, kid friendly, oceanfront hotel located south of family kingdom.

Many say that the grand strand is full of partying and it is smarter to stay south of family kingdom. We would consider North Myrtle but we really enjoy the "atmosphere" of Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM

382 posts, read 873,734 times
If your interested check out Ocean Lakes just south of the city limits. It is a private community where people rent out their HOUSES for a week. They have RV pads that are oceanfront, playground and basketball that is ocean front, indoor & outdoor pools, golf cart rentals (some homes come w/ rental cart for the week). They have a web site, check it out. I've been taking my family there for the last 3 years and will never go back to a hotel. For about a $1,000/wk you get an actual house and friendly neighbors, some people live there permenatly. There is ocean VIEW, but no ocean FRONT. Ocean VIEW can be right expensive ($2,000- $2,500/wk) but they are huge houses that sleep up to 8 people.

The only bad thing is the intersection at the main enterance of US 17 & state rt. 522 gets VERY busy at 5pm. Just plan around it and it's nothing.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,902,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I have been to Myrtle Beach a few times on vacation, last year we came we stayed at the Westgate Hotel...however, they are booked the week we want to come and do not have any oceanfront suites available. I was wondering if you could possibly recommend a clean, kid friendly, oceanfront hotel located south of family kingdom.

Many say that the grand strand is full of partying and it is smarter to stay south of family kingdom. We would consider North Myrtle but we really enjoy the "atmosphere" of Myrtle Beach.
I can see someone recommending south of Myrtle Beach, but I am shocked that you say many have said to stay south of family kingdom (to avoid any ruckus). I would think it would be the opposite. Not that I haven't stayed in hotels south of family kingdom that I have enjoyed, but I would recommend North Ocean Blvd over South Ocean Blvd. I have never stayed in North Myrtle Beach so I can't speak for that area.

If you do want to go south of Family Kingdom Captains Quarters has great kids amenities. We haven't stayed there so I can't say how the rooms are, but we stayed at Hotel Blue (their sister hotel) and used their amenities. I don't know how old your kids are, but ours loved them!

We have also stayed at Sea Crest (which is just south of Family Kingdom). Again, good amenities for kids. The rooms were clean, but they were far from my favorite.

There are so many kid friendly places! If you want to go just north of Family Kingdom, Bay View Resort has very nice roomy rooms. The one we stayed in was impeccably clean (but they are individually owned condos so they may vary). They have a small outdoor water park/play space for the kids. A draw back if you are going in the warmer weather is that their pool, lazy river, kids pool and Jacuzzi are inside. This is very much in the thick of it all. Although I don't think it is as congested as South Ocean Blvd., it is downtown and right where the boardwalk is. You say you like the "atmosphere" of Myrtle Beach though, so I would think this area would be a good fit.

There are also some very nice places up around 20th and North Ocean Blvd. We stayed at Atlantica and really liked that area. Atlantica doesn't have the children's amenities like the other places I have mentioned, but we really liked it. The rooms were just average, but they were clean and the indoor poor with the water fall was warm and wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,741,585 times
You could also rent a home in Oceanside Village. There are some right on the ocean ( just across the street) You would have an indoor pool for the kids if it rains. Some people have golf carts to ride to a special parking area at the beach. There is a restaurant within walking distance that is on the beach. The kids can fish in the ponds there. Some homes are pet friendly. The community is very family friendly. This would be in Surfside Beach. The waterpark is across the street, and also the flea market. Murrells Inlet with all the restaurants is just a short distance. Best of luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM

382 posts, read 873,734 times
We tried Captains Quarters one year, not overly impressed. The pool area, lazy river, and bowling alley(yes, bowling alley) were very nice. The bad; parking sucked, the elevators were horribly slow, and you had to walk by the drunks at the Tiki Bar to get to the pool. The rooms were nothing to write home about.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,741,585 times
There are so many renovated and beautiful hotels now in Myrtle Beach ...How about this one?
Oceanfront Hotel in Myrtle Beach - All Suites Hotel - Monterey Bay Suites

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 AM

142 posts, read 365,039 times
South on the Blvd I would suggest Compass Cove, it boasts the most pools and water activities of any other resort, if is very family friendly.

If you have never tried before, look at vrbo.com you can get some better prices by renting direct from owners.

Gary

Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM

249 posts, read 518,010 times
What about Myrtle Beach Resort ?

It's a gated 33 acre resort with indoor/outdoor pools, saunas, small water park/lazy river, outdoor bar/grille...etc

Check out VRBO (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-carolina/myrtle-beach/myrtle-beach/south#a5770 - broken link) and look for a listing that suits you.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,354,376 times
I recommend Dunes Village or The Caribbean Resorts.

Crown Reef used to be very nice but they have not taken good care of it in the past couple of years.

Cap Quarters has become the new Sea Mist. A dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area