Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times

Advertisements

I'd like to do a poll that I saw recently for another area. Many people here complain about this or that. What they shoulda' or coulda' done differently. So if you could change your location, or wishes, concerning your home... what your dreams be?

1. I wish I didn't purchase in an HOA community.
2. I would have bought closer to the beach for sure!
3. I wish I bought inland, a bit more for a less touristy location.
4. I'd of been much better off in the Market Commons area.
5. I really want a community with gates and security.
6. I need a 55+community.. instead of all ages.
7. How did I ever buy a home on leased land? I wouldn't again.
8. I really like having a community pool.
9. I'd rather have my own pool.
10. I bought in the "wrong" location.
11. I find I don't like cookie cutter homes, tightly knit.
12. I love my location and I would not change one thing.
13. I love my location but still would change a few things.
14. At least in an older development there are large lots and trees.
15. I wanted a brand new home, no matter what.
16. Myrtle Beach is perfect for us, we would not change one thing.
17. The sunshine is worth me living here, even though I miss familly.

Last edited by Summering; 05-10-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Poll not placed on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Ok, sorry the poll is on the next thread. I haven't done a poll in awhile...can you tell?
So you'll see it is there on that thread.
I saw something simular with another area on CD and thought it was a good idea.
I know some of us love it here and others wish they were someplace else. So I was curious as to what would make people most happy here in this beautiful state......

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
I am very happy about where we purchased. However, if I were looking today, I would look hard at over 55 communities (in the Murrells Inlet area). Don't know if we could have afforded Seasons in Prince Creek, but that would be my first choice.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 AM

Of the 55+ I always thought Springforest was very nice with homes on the canals and Woodlake for nice large properties. Both have pools and Woodlake is in a golf community. ( part of)
You have always been positive about where you live and it shows often.
My problem with the 55+ is the rules on children. I wouldn't like any length of time given for how often they can be with me. So for that reason I'd never move to one.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM

312 posts, read 732,944 times
Well definitely the HOA Community one for me....I would have bought in an area that doesn't have an HOA... and probably not so close to the beach and Main Street in North Myrtle Beach....when we bought in 2000 it was a nice area and not congested....wish I could have forseen the future development and traffic and the shaggers have pretty much taken over the neighborhood... not being one, you are more or less not part of a very very large clique....oh well!!! They are building houses on top of houses in North Myrtle...uh!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM

So many people dislike the HOA's. I really think except for keeping things nice and "no junk rules" they should stay out of the rest. People seem to hate the " I am King" attitude of the board members.
If they just let the little things ride rather then call you when someone reports your dog on a rope for the two seconds "in rain" that it needed to go! Those types of "reports" need to just drop.
It is overly silly. I was turned in on that one and I was on the other end of that rope by the glass doors. Those type of reports are catty and useless.
Except for keeping your community neat and in good order all the bologna needs to go the wayside.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Cliques over shag dancing. I can see that happening though.
I want to be by the beach, but when I hear things like this "over crowding" I change my mind.

Its so hard to move to Myrtle Beach and not be in some type of HOA community. That is so typical here. I am glad mine has just few rules and most I can live with.

The rope and dog complaint came from another community I rented in. Now that community has way, way, too many rules for me.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

312 posts, read 732,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
So many people dislike the HOA's. I really think except for keeping things nice and "no junk rules" they should stay out of the rest. People seem to hate the " I am King" attitude of the board members.
If they just let the little things ride rather then call you when someone reports your dog on a rope for the two seconds "in rain" that it needed to go! Those types of "reports" need to just drop.
It is overly silly. I was turned in on that one and I was on the other end of that rope by the glass doors. Those type of reports are catty and useless.
Except for keeping your community neat and in good order all the bologna needs to go the wayside.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Cliques over shag dancing. I can see that happening though.
I want to be by the beach, but when I hear things like this "over crowding" I change my mind.

Its so hard to move to Myrtle Beach and not be in some type of HOA community. That is so typical here. I am glad mine has just few rules and most I can live with.

The rope and dog complaint came from another community I rented in. Now that community has way, way, too many rules for me.
Summering....our development HOA Board is made up of all shaggers...if you are not one, you might as well be deaf, dumb and mute...it is their way or the highway...seeing that I have one of the largest dogs in the community....a mean and very very vicious retired racing greyhound that sleeps 20 hours a day...they think that if anything dog related happens in the development it is my baby...he doesn't even walk in the development....only when I can't get him to the park...do you know how many times I stepped in doggie doo from many of the other owners I could scream.....anyway I digress...I understand all the petty nonesense....HOA's serve their purpose but unfortunately they lean towards the pettiness more times thank they really should.....your dog on the rope story just tickled me....

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM

142 posts, read 363,465 times
The only thing I really wish was different was that my bedroom was located on away from the other 2, I have a ranch and would just like that for the privacy when someone is staying here.

Other than that, having lived here previously and knowing the area so well and where the growth would be, I choose my little neck of the woods off 707 in Socastee, I can go out to my hot-tub at night and have the stars and no one around, we can get naked and not worry about anyone spotting us.

I keep my boat in the back, as well as I installed an 18 x 34' pool, in the front is an RV and jettski, would not have these if in a homeowners assoc run place.

It takes me 12 minutes to get to Broadway at the Beach, 6 minutes to the shopping area of Market Commons, 18 minutes to the Inlet and I go to Garden City Beach as it is free parking, no highrises so the beach is not in the shade in the later afternoon, I can be in the sun during the summer until 8 PM, yes it is almost a 20 minute drive but worth it, I could be on the beach at the end of the Blvd in 11 minutes.

Yes when I moved in 707 was a 2 lane road and now it is 5, yet if I were to win a million dollars tonight, I would not move, I am in the perfect place for me, maybe not for you, but for me it is happiness.

Gary

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
The only thing I really wish was different was that my bedroom was located on away from the other 2, I have a ranch and would just like that for the privacy when someone is staying here.

Other than that, having lived here previously and knowing the area so well and where the growth would be, I choose my little neck of the woods off 707 in Socastee, I can go out to my hot-tub at night and have the stars and no one around, we can get naked and not worry about anyone spotting us.

I keep my boat in the back, as well as I installed an 18 x 34' pool, in the front is an RV and jettski, would not have these if in a homeowners assoc run place.

It takes me 12 minutes to get to Broadway at the Beach, 6 minutes to the shopping area of Market Commons, 18 minutes to the Inlet and I go to Garden City Beach as it is free parking, no highrises so the beach is not in the shade in the later afternoon, I can be in the sun during the summer until 8 PM, yes it is almost a 20 minute drive but worth it, I could be on the beach at the end of the Blvd in 11 minutes.

Yes when I moved in 707 was a 2 lane road and now it is 5, yet if I were to win a million dollars tonight, I would not move, I am in the perfect place for me, maybe not for you, but for me it is happiness.

Gary
Woo, Woo.....Now we know that Gary is skinny dippin' off of 707...

Yes, I too remember when 707 was a quiet back road....I loved it.

Well our homeowners said ok to the pool no issue there. I was turned in for an "exposed" garbage pail. Oh my gosh.....on the side of the house.
You'd never make it with the RV and Jet Ski...lol
I live pretty close to everything too, and I just love that.
That split bedroom plan was in our winter rental before we bought here.
I did love that. I'd give visiting families the one end and we had the other.
I don't have it here but its ok as our area has all we need to hang out in.

I want to live close to the beach....until I get up that way and see the traffic. Right now...cycles.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Summering....our development HOA Board is made up of all shaggers...if you are not one, you might as well be deaf, dumb and mute...it is their way or the highway...seeing that I have one of the largest dogs in the community....a mean and very very vicious retired racing greyhound that sleeps 20 hours a day...they think that if anything dog related happens in the development it is my baby...he doesn't even walk in the development....only when I can't get him to the park...do you know how many times I stepped in doggie doo from many of the other owners I could scream.....anyway I digress...I understand all the petty nonesense....HOA's serve their purpose but unfortunately they lean towards the pettiness more times thank they really should.....your dog on the rope story just tickled me....
Well, you'd really laugh as we were up in a pouring rain watching the Extreme Home Makeover. Hubby's phone rings and its the owner about "my dog outside"...and the report on him.
I later wrote the owners a nice note and explained the situation for gosh sakes...I was on the other end!
All it takes is one crabby neighbor with nothing to do.

In your case it seems you have the entire shagging community..

That is really upsetting since I feel that southern people are just so kind and extra sweet. Don't you just hate the pettiness.

What I did for all those who's dog left big deposits on our lawn is tie two of the plastic doggie bags to the mailbox...hint, hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area