Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,856 times

Advertisements

My dad is relocating to the myrtle beach area. He is coming down this weekend to look at houses with his realtor. I guess he is looking primarily in Conway. Are there certain areas in conway to stay away from? Certain neighborhoods that are undesireable? I know every city has areas that are not as safe and I'd just like to make sure he doesn't buy a house in one of those areas. What areas would you suggest he look into? What other towns/cities would be good? He is in his mid 60's and retired. He's looking to spend between $70,000-$85,000 on a house. He'd like to be no more than 30 minutes from the beach.

I know that his realtor is supposed to be doing this kind of research for him, but from what my mom says it seems he's not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM

312 posts, read 732,564 times
I am sure more folks from the Conway area will chime in with the less desirable areas but would he consider maybe moving a little further...maybe Longs, Loris or Aynor with that price range....just a thought! Best of luck to your dad!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
When we moved here, we were advised to stay away from certain areas of Conway...I don't remember the specifics so hopefully someone else can provide feedback.

However, I will agree with loveagrey1...it's going to be hard to find a standalone house in that price range in a desirable neighborhood in Conway.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
If his Realtor is not doing his job, he should get a new Realtor. That being said, it's against the law for a Realtor to say "anywhere is a bad area". He should call the local police and ask them, I strongly suggest this because there are bad areas. I live in Conway and the best suggestion I can give is buy in a sub-division. The problem is, with that price range, not sure he can.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,856 times
I guess he has been looking at some foreclosures around that price. I found a few on realtor.com that looked nice in the pictures but of course you can't tell the neighborhood from looking at a picture online. I've told him to contact the local police station so hopefully he will do that when he comes down.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 20,772 times
Try to stay either far on the beach side, ccu and east, or Aynor to the west. Conway can get scary in parts.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM

249 posts, read 882,633 times
Conway is not that big so where are the undesirable areas it seems no one wants to say. I would like to know myself as I am considering buying a home there.
Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
It seems to me that the practical and acceptable question to ask the Realtor is whether a house is in the City Limits of Conway. The city limits line zigs and jogs all over the place. If the OP's parents want to avoid higher city taxes, they should look at places only in Horry County. They should stay east of the city to be closer to the beach. Specifying a property over a quarter acre and newer than 30 years old should also keep them out of older, run-down areas.

BTW, there seem to be plenty of houses in that price range, so I'd start look for another Realtor, if the current one isn't helping.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM

214 posts, read 649,593 times
I dont go to Conway very often (no need to other than work sometimes). But when I do go there if you come into town on 501 past the reservoir if you go through the first traffic light, the area on the left seems to........not be very nice.

Have I explored it? no. Just in passing by do I want to explore it? no. You can buy a house for under $100K though, I looked on Zilllow.

P.S. Sorry if I am talking about someones neighborhood that is on here and it is actually really great.

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 05-22-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
Conway is not that big so where are the undesirable areas it seems no one wants to say. I would like to know myself as I am considering buying a home there.
Thanks
I live in Conway and like I said before, you can call the local police to get crime info. I also highly suggest you ride through Conway several times of the day and you can get somewhat of an idea. I bought outside a sub-division, this I would not suggest. I'm very sorry I didn't buy in a sub-division because that means there are no rules and anything goes. Trust me it is well taken advantage of. You said Conway is not that big but thats not true. Conway is rather large with many different areas, all different from one another. Please do your research and don't buy until you are sure it's an area you will like. Talk to neighbors of houses you're interested in, thats the best help you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area