Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 19,307 times

Advertisements

Anyone living in the Socastee, SC that has positive things to say? I'm a single mom relocating next year in July, and I liked Socastee because the rent was affordable and it wasn't directly on the ocean front. I'm wondering how schools are, hows the neighborhood, what can I expect?

Is it possible for us to bike places? Are the neighborhoods safe? Are there parts we should avoid?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
We live in the south end of Forestbrook which is considered by some to be part of Socastee. The answer to your question depends on where in Socastee you're planning to move. Some parts of the area have a large contingent of hispanics while other parts have none.

Socastee High School is pretty highly rated and other than one incident last year, seems to be a safe school.

Biking will be hit or miss. Some neighborhoods are bike friendly while others are certainly not due to traffic.

We love where we live and there are other parts of Socastee that are equally as nice if not nicer. On the flip side, there are areas that I would not want to live. Finally, Socastee is an "area"...not really a town. It has no downtown area and most shopping is in strip malls on the highway.

My best advice is to take a week to come down, stay in a hotel away from the beach and spend the entire week exploring the area. Visit the schools, library, churches, local restaurants, grocery stores, etc and ask people about the area. Stop in neighborhoods that you might like or where the rental is that you found and talk to people who are out for a walk and get their opinions and advice. Don't be shy...most people are happy to talk about where they live and work.

And one final piece of advice, make sure you have a job in hand when you move.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM

142 posts, read 363,348 times
CT is right, good schools and as anywhere good and bad neighborhoods and even the good neighborhoods can have a problem on occasion.

I first moved here 79 and have lived in a few different areas of MB and south, my second place was 2 blocks off the beach, it was destroyed by Hugo as well as 65% of the rest of the homes in Garden City.

I think Socastee is the best area to live, East of the Waterway, close to everything yet quieter than close to the beach front, lower insurance costs and many other reasons.

Gary

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,307 times
Thank you both for the input

I've done research and kept going back to Socastee... I saw some apartment homes that were beautiful and on the ocean that I could afford - but as you mentioned Gary, I worried about the aftermath of hurricanes. The neighborhoods we're lookin in are within walking distance of the high school... is this a good area? (I hope). I'm going down for two weeks in the fall to do all of my viewings and hands on neighborhood inspecting But, sometimes looks can be deceiving!

Thanks again!!
Nikki

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM

There are some very nice neighborhoods within walking distance of the HS...depends on which ones you're looking at. Some housing near the HS is older and a little run down...not necessarily a bad area...just "tired" looking while others look spiffy and up to date.

Best of luck with your exploring visit!!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Cimarron Plantation is across the street from the HS BridgeCreek is 2 devlopements east and both are nice. Rosewood is next to the HS but is much older and not necessarily as nice/kept up yet they do have a town landing, which is the one I use, and houses along the waterway.

Gary

Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiT30 View Post
Thank you both for the input

I've done research and kept going back to Socastee... I saw some apartment homes that were beautiful and on the ocean that I could afford - but as you mentioned Gary, I worried about the aftermath of hurricanes. The neighborhoods we're lookin in are within walking distance of the high school... is this a good area? (I hope). I'm going down for two weeks in the fall to do all of my viewings and hands on neighborhood inspecting But, sometimes looks can be deceiving!

Thanks again!!
Nikki
Hi Nikki...I live in Socastee. Socastee is not on the ocean but a couple of miles inland from it.
Apartment homes "on the ocean" wouldn't be in Socastee.

Glenmere and Lake Park Plantation are a bike ride to the high school. I do see a school bus in the Plantation development. Both of these developments are off of 544. Cimarron is a good choice. There are apartments in Socastee but you would want to check the location. Some areas are nicer then others.

To be on the ocean you'd need to live in Surfside Beach.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 40,705 times
Hello Summering

I value your opinion very much and love your upbeat positive postings! So I am sorry if I offended you in another post that when we visited the Socastee area we seen a lot of sprawl.

Did I miss something? I believe it was around the HS area but might be incorrect. We looked at a house we did find on a rental website just to get a feel for the area. It was on Cimmerion.

Unless I have my directives wrong it was not very nice around the entry to the driveway that goes back to Cimmeron.

Am I wrong about this area or is this just certain sections that I saw?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Scoastee encompasses much more than just the area on Rt 707 which is, admittedly, a series of strip malls---some of which are not kept up a nicely as they should be. Drive on out toward the post office...there are many nice neighborhoods there. Also, go across the swing bridge and down Forestbrook for some other nice neighborhoods. Finally, go around Enterprise drive...some trailer parks but also some very nice developments. Don't judge Socastee strictly on Rt 707.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 AM

And when you drive into the developement off 707 it does change in appereance, you would not that there are strip malls right down the street, which is good for a quick loaf of bread, bite to eat, beer, bank, seamstress all right there.

When I moved to Bridge Creek 16 years ago, 707 was a 2 lane road, not the 5 lanes it is today, nor did the strip centers and buildings exist but for a very few.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area