Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 AM

47 posts, read 113,743 times

Advertisements

OKAY so I am from MA relocating to conway in a month or two.....how different is the weather and what animals will i encounter along with insects? In MA we encounter bears, coyote's, harmless spiders, annoying flies...when it comes to insect the only one to watch out for is the black widow. how hot is the weather in the summer/winter months. and storms....how severe are they???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Animals- depends how out in the country you area. Possibly a bear, not very often ( one was spotted way down in Murrell's Inlet several days ago.) Deer, coyote, could be feral hogs, plus the usual squirrel, opossum, etc. Again what you see is going to depend on your location. Spiders- the same- Black and brown widows are the poisonous ones.

The weather- seriously- ? you're moving to the South, the Deep South. It's hot. Think of those 3-4 day periods in MA area where it's gets into the 90's with humidity to equal. Now think of that for months on end without a break. Temps start really heating up in late May , get steadily at upper 80's, to 90's into June, July and August, then start cooling down into tolerable sometime in September. Since Conway is inland it's not going to get the advantage of cooling, ocean breezes,

Heat is just a fact of life. Everything has A/C so no big deal unless you have to work outside. Then again, winters are mild, so you trade off a few months of heat for a few months of not having to shovel snow or break ice.

You're also in hurricane alley so to speak, although nor directly on the coast, so that can be a factor some years.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
What surprised me the most was how many people here just let their pets run loose all the time. Apparently they don't worry about them being hit by a car or injured, etc. I am baffled about the disregard that some people have for their pets.

I live in a small, fairly residential area and see this all the time. Other than these neglected pets, I mostly see a few raccoons and a LOT of squirrels.

I do think a lot of what you see is determined by exactly where you live. People who live more inland see more wildlife. People who live very close to the beach, not so much. I live close enough to the ocean that I don't really have a problem with any of it. The breeze keeps most of the flying insect pests away.

A good dog will keep the squirrels and raccoons, etc. from bothering you! But if you are a responsible pet owner, that means you mostly keep your dog inside, especially at night, so the dog can't be on 24 hour patrol!

Oh! Just noticed that you were referring to Conway........

Last edited by vrexy; 06-24-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

142 posts, read 363,323 times
Bears, deer and hogs can be found east of the waterway as well as inland, also what has not been mentioned are gators and snakes copperheads, rattlers and others.

Gary

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
In my three years of doing 5 mile walks through mainly wooded areas of Murrells Inlet, I see alligators at certain times of the year (in the drainage ponds), have seen one copperhead and one cotton mouth, no rattle snakes, deer but never a bear or hog. As far as insects go, I swear we have more trouble with biting and nuisance insects here in Central Jersey (where I am at the moment) then SC!

Weather-wise: hot and humid is hot and humid. I don't feel that summers in SC are any worse than summers in NJ, they just last a little longer (which I love).

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What surprised me the most was how many people here just let their pets run loose all the time. Apparently they don't worry about them being hit by a car or injured, etc. I am baffled about the disregard that some people have for their pets.

I live in a small, fairly residential area and see this all the time. Other than these neglected pets, I mostly see a few raccoons and a LOT of squirrels.

I do think a lot of what you see is determined by exactly where you live. People who live more inland see more wildlife. People who live very close to the beach, not so much. I live close enough to the ocean that I don't really have a problem with any of it. The breeze keeps most of the flying insect pests away.

A good dog will keep the squirrels and raccoons, etc. from bothering you! But if you are a responsible pet owner, that means you mostly keep your dog inside, especially at night, so the dog can't be on 24 hour patrol!

Oh! Just noticed that you were referring to Conway........
I agree with this 100%. People let their pets roam free all over the place and with no tags...it's very sad. I have never seen a dead dog on a street hit by a car until I moved here. Now I have seen several not to mention all the other animals.

Also agree on it depends on where you live here. I live in Conway and see all kinds of animals including snakes and I didn't see it but aligators have been in the neighbors yards. Tons of bugs, it's the South and it's hot. We spend a lot of money on pest control and still see huge bugs all the time. Fire ants might be the worst thing to deal with but after awhile you figure out what to buy and how to treat the yard. I haven't laid out in the grass or walked barefoot outside since moving here, just can't do it anymore. There is no breeze in Conway to keep away the bugs. Usually when I'm out in my yard I'm swating at something because there are so many very large bugs flying around. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I wish I knew this before I bought a house here. tmozer mentioned Central Jersey, well thats where I'm from and can't even compare the amount or size bugs. Visting here is a lot different than moving here. Now if you move closer to the beach like vrexy said or even in a busy sub-division in Conway it will probably be different but out in the country or near the country it's bad with the bugs....trust me!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Oh yes, and then there was this!

Black bear spotted in Murrells Inlet neighborhood | SCNOW

Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
We have had a very mild winter so mosquitoes and ticks will be abundant this summer. I stopped at the Farmer's Market and bought tomatoes and a cantaloupe this week and had them sitting on the kitchen counter ... returned later and gnats ... I hate gnats or those tiny fruit fly things! I must have brought them home from the Farmer's Market.

Have you ever seen a palmetto bug?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM

44 posts, read 127,434 times
I'm moving to MB area soon from upstate NY... and I have to tell you; out of everything (snakes, alligators, etc) that I may encounter, it's the Palmetto bugs that scare me the most!! Ahhh! I've been to the area twice and have yet to see one

Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM

47 posts, read 113,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Animals- depends how out in the country you area. Possibly a bear, not very often ( one was spotted way down in Murrell's Inlet several days ago.) Deer, coyote, could be feral hogs, plus the usual squirrel, opossum, etc. Again what you see is going to depend on your location. Spiders- the same- Black and brown widows are the poisonous ones.

The weather- seriously- ? you're moving to the South, the Deep South. It's hot. Think of those 3-4 day periods in MA area where it's gets into the 90's with humidity to equal. Now think of that for months on end without a break. Temps start really heating up in late May , get steadily at upper 80's, to 90's into June, July and August, then start cooling down into tolerable sometime in September. Since Conway is inland it's not going to get the advantage of cooling, ocean breezes,

Heat is just a fact of life. Everything has A/C so no big deal unless you have to work outside. Then again, winters are mild, so you trade off a few months of heat for a few months of not having to shovel snow or break ice.

You're also in hurricane alley so to speak, although nor directly on the coast, so that can be a factor some years.

Good luck
Thank you soo much for the reply...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area