Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

Ok so we are planning to move at the end of the year most likely. She is a nurse and I work in IT.
Any intelligent information or advice would be openly and greatly appreciated. We currently live in Charlotte, NC and visit myrtle beach several times a year.

Thanks & hope to get some much needed assistance!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 AM

161 posts, read 330,168 times
Can I ask why you are coming to Myrtle and leaving Charlotte?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
That doesn't make sense to me either. I'd expect the job opportunities in Charlotte to be better than Myrtle Beach. Your wife should do well with a medical career in Myrtle Beach but I'm worried about the opportunities for IT there.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM

19 posts, read 72,755 times
I would encourage you to make sure you have solid jobs before moving down. I taught in MB for a couple of years and we ended up heading back to Charlotte because there were no real opportunities for my husband's work down here. If you already have a job lined up, go for it, but otherwise... I would reconsider.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM

23 posts, read 83,269 times
Default Current MB resident

I currently live in MB. Have been here for almost 10 years and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't do it. It's a nice tourist destination but living here is a whole different story.

Have a job lined up in IT before you move not many are found in the MB area.Your wife will have no problem in nursing. Good paying jobs are non exsistent (unless your in the medical field) and it seems the only other available ones are in the hospatality industry during the summer. Very little cultural type things to do without a 2 hour drive to Charleston. I have not been impressed with the medical/hospital care in the MB area but can always go to MUSC (again in Charleston) and receive great health care.

There are some good things too. Lower housing prices, good weather (no snow usually) Very low taxes being close to the beach, hundreds of golf courses and friendly people.

If your looking to retire and love golf and have a steady retirement income this could be the place for you.

Once the housing market picks up we will be moving. When we originally moved to MB we were looking to get out of NJ and make a lifestyle change and for the last 10 years it was fine.Now it doesn't really offer what we want or need anymore.

This is my personal opinion and others will have there's.

Good luck on whatever you decide. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Beth

Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM

When we were considering our move we didn't want to live along the ocean as we would have felt a need to evacuate if a hurricane came our way. SC's governor just made evacuation mandatory not voluntary, along our coast. Can you afford the cost to leave in a hurry? While storms are usually rare we weren't willing to live that way.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Make sure that your wife finds out how much she will be making if she does find a job in MB. I am an RN and we own a condo in MB. Just for the heck of it, I looked into some nursing jobs there, in case we ever did consider moving there full-time. What I found is that, even with 22 years of experience, my pay would be roughly $13/hr. less than what I make here in Michigan. If you multiply that by 40 hrs./week x 52 weeks, it really adds up.

I used to think I would like to relocate to MB full-time too, but being a property owner there and being able to spend more time there as a result has helped us to see that there is a down side too, and right now, the benefit for us does not outweigh the down side. I love the place, but loving a place as a vacation destination vs. loving it as a place to permanently relocate are two different things. Of course, that's just us, many other people love living there full-time, and more power to them. Everyone needs to do what's right for them.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 AM

43 posts, read 114,402 times
How exactly did you look into that? Allnurses.com forums seem to disagree with you --
My wife is an RN, I do IT - have a startup, been in Boston 6 years - we're looking into moving to MB since I can work remotely from anywhere and there seems to be RN jobs paying decent. She just applied for a listing yesterday - $35/hr which is more than she makes here in Boston.

Appealing to me is Market Common single family homes - 1mi to the beach - near the airport - warm weather/water

And low cost of living: about 1/3 the cost of our Condo in Boston for twice as much home - 1/5 the property taxes

For our careers & life situation - seems we can make out very well and enjoy the perks so we continue to look into it after having visited last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Make sure that your wife finds out how much she will be making if she does find a job in MB. I am an RN and we own a condo in MB. Just for the heck of it, I looked into some nursing jobs there, in case we ever did consider moving there full-time. What I found is that, even with 22 years of experience, my pay would be roughly $13/hr. less than what I make here in Michigan. If you multiply that by 40 hrs./week x 52 weeks, it really adds up.

I used to think I would like to relocate to MB full-time too, but being a property owner there and being able to spend more time there as a result has helped us to see that there is a down side too, and right now, the benefit for us does not outweigh the down side. I love the place, but loving a place as a vacation destination vs. loving it as a place to permanently relocate are two different things. Of course, that's just us, many other people love living there full-time, and more power to them. Everyone needs to do what's right for them.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicX View Post
How exactly did you look into that? Allnurses.com forums seem to disagree with you --
My wife is an RN, I do IT - have a startup, been in Boston 6 years - we're looking into moving to MB since I can work remotely from anywhere and there seems to be RN jobs paying decent. She just applied for a listing yesterday - $35/hr which is more than she makes here in Boston.

Appealing to me is Market Common single family homes - 1mi to the beach - near the airport - warm weather/water

And low cost of living: about 1/3 the cost of our Condo in Boston for twice as much home - 1/5 the property taxes

For our careers & life situation - seems we can make out very well and enjoy the perks so we continue to look into it after having visited last weekend.
Please let us know how that works out for your wife. Sounds too good to be true in this state!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM

17 posts, read 40,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd650 View Post
I currently live in MB. Have been here for almost 10 years and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't do it. It's a nice tourist destination but living here is a whole different story.

Have a job lined up in IT before you move not many are found in the MB area.Your wife will have no problem in nursing. Good paying jobs are non exsistent (unless your in the medical field) and it seems the only other available ones are in the hospatality industry during the summer. Very little cultural type things to do without a 2 hour drive to Charleston. I have not been impressed with the medical/hospital care in the MB area but can always go to MUSC (again in Charleston) and receive great health care.

There are some good things too. Lower housing prices, good weather (no snow usually) Very low taxes being close to the beach, hundreds of golf courses and friendly people.

If your looking to retire and love golf and have a steady retirement income this could be the place for you.

Once the housing market picks up we will be moving. When we originally moved to MB we were looking to get out of NJ and make a lifestyle change and for the last 10 years it was fine.Now it doesn't really offer what we want or need anymore.

This is my personal opinion and others will have there's.

Good luck on whatever you decide. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Beth
May I ask a couple of questions please?

You state if you had to do it over again you would not move to MB.

But you also state that you have enjoyed it but grew tired of it and doesnt have anything to offer you anymore.

What did you enjoy during your 10 years in MB?

If you had a choice where else would you have moved to?

What does it not offer you anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area