Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM

36 posts, read 111,309 times

Advertisements

I moved here a year ago for my job, bought a home and am now going to retire next month. I love it here although it does still get lonley at times with no family and haven't made any friends. I find that people are "friendly" but do not go out of their way to befriend someone new. I did meet a great man and thought we were going to be great friends and good companions but he broke my heart so I'm back to square one. That being said I'm not giving up. Now that I'm retiring I will have more time on my hands with not much to do and no one to do it with. I have tried the typical avenues to meet people (men) my own age without much success so I thought I might try learning how to golf. Have never golfed in my life and am a little afraid of looking like a fool so I thought I might try a few lessons. Now for the question, I will not have a lot of extra cash so does anyone know of a good place to start that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

And if by some chance anyone has a suggestion of where to meet people that I haven't thought of please let me know that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,339 times
chozz,
There are several golf schools along the Grand Strand but on a limited budget your best bet might be to call some of the less expensive courses. Many offer lessons. I live at Tupelo Bay in Garden City (a very inexpensive golf course) and I often see people receiving lessons on the driving range so that might be an option.

Good luck and hit 'em straight!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 AM

142 posts, read 363,789 times
Now depending upon where you live makes a huge difference on where you need to play/learn golf.

Tupelo is a great place if your nearby, and if so a place to meet people is the Marlin for older folks, it is
a beach music friendly place and a great local following.

If elsewhere along the Strand, check in at a nearby Par 3 course and ask about lessons, they will be less money
and or negotiable as the "pro" is not on a regulation course.

There are people who give lessons that are not affiliated with a golf course and these folks are less money, stop
in at a local golf store and ask.

Gary

Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
...a place to meet people is the Marlin for older folks, it is
a beach music friendly place and a great local following.
Gary offers good advice. The Marlin is cheaper than golf, lots more fun, and the beer is colder. We were there this weekend to hear a great band. It's primarily an over-50 crowd, with some 40's, lots of 60's, and even some 70's sprinkled in. There are at least as many singles as couples, and everybody has a good time. Fridays and sometimes Saturdays are the party nites with live music. They have shag lessons one night/week and line dancing lessons one night, which is a great way to meet people and maybe not as intimidating because you don't have to partner-up. If you live closer to the north end of the Strand, many of the beach music places in NMB do the same thing. Fat Harold's and Duck's are two great places.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I live near Tupelo Bay and heard it might be a good place to start but never thought about asking at a golf shop..great idea. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I will try golf, it seems everyone I meet here golfs and it would give me something in common with them. Also thanks for the idea about the Marlin, I heard about that place from this forum last year before I moved here and I actually live close to it. I have been there a few times and was there last weekend too PawleysDude, you're right the band was good and the beer was cold. I don't know tho if I will go back haven't see anyone there that interested me much but I might give it another try sometime. I have heard about Fat Harold's and Duck's but haven't ventured out to either yet, just a little too intimidating going by myself.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 AM

142 posts, read 363,789 times
I guess y'all went Sat night to see Jim Quick and Coastline, yes they are good.

Being that you live in Garden City I would not bother traveling to NMB to meet people.

You need to be open, just because no one interested you, does
not mean that you can't meet other people and become friends and then maybe one day
that guy walks in and boom, you feel the click and maybe he will or not but unless your out
there you will never get the chance.

Gary

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks Gary your're absolutely right about getting out there, I'm determined to meet people and make some good friends. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about taking up golf, to meet people and make friends

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,721,125 times
Chozz, sometimes the community colleges will offer golf lessons as part of the "adult education" program. That's how I learned and it was VERY inexpensive. Also, check with the YMCA if there is one and the community recreation department...the folks that run the parks.
The par3 course pro is another good idea.
Community college classes are a great way to meet folks, and the "not for credit" ones don't usually cost a lot, especially when they fall under the "adult"- or "continuing-" education category. There, you already have a group of folks with similar interests which is a great base for friendships, and there is no worry over going by yourself since its a class. And, you end up with a new skill or new knowledge so its always a winning investment of time and $$$.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Oh what a great idea thanks I work very close to CCU so it would be very easy to go after work, I will check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area