Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,529 times

Advertisements

Back when I moved down here over a year ago, I made the mistake of moving into the heart of downtown Myrtle Beach. As much as I love being right on the water, I'm getting sick of the nonsense and the drunks and people constantly telling me I live in the slums. So luckily I got and accepted a new job in Georgetown (yay!) and this time plan on doing my research first. I've been reading a lot of posts here and have a few additional questions.

1: Is downtown Georgetown anything at all like downtown MB? It seems way more main street USA but I'm so jaded that I think everywhere is a crime riddled hovel.

2: I've been a lot of postings for a Cambridge Apartment complex in Surfside/MI. The prices seem WAY too cheap to be in a decent neighborhood but the pictures don't look bad at all; nice cars at the neighbors, everything looks clean. It's more of a drive than I want but it's in my price range.

3: I am having an incredibly hard time finding anything in PI for less than $800. Ideally I want to stick in the $650-$700 range; is this something that isn't going to happen in that area?

Outside of searching via CL and google and the local paper I'm running out of ideas on looking for places. If anyone can point me in a good direction that would be great. While I've seen a lot of condo's I'd love to buy I'm not at a place right now to do so (I could make the payments but unfortunately don't have anything saved for a deposit). Any help anyone can offer would be super appreciated

Also, please keep in mind, I'm a single female, so there are places I feel a gentleman could live that would be in my best interests not to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,779 times
We used hotpads.com and trulia when researching our last rental move. You might try those sites and see if you find something.
Our experiences with Craig's List for rentals has been considerably less than positive, so be careful when using that as a source. Its unfortunate but true that not everyone is as honest about what they put on there as they should be, and it has become ripe with unscupulous folk using it as a vehicle to take advantage of those of us who would like to believe that everyone is honest and above board.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Lightbulb Go take a look for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars1127 View Post
Back when I moved down here over a year ago, I made the mistake of moving into the heart of downtown Myrtle Beach. As much as I love being right on the water, I'm getting sick of the nonsense and the drunks and people constantly telling me I live in the slums. So luckily I got and accepted a new job in Georgetown (yay!) and this time plan on doing my research first. I've been reading a lot of posts here and have a few additional questions.

1: Is downtown Georgetown anything at all like downtown MB? It seems way more main street USA but I'm so jaded that I think everywhere is a crime riddled hovel.

2: I've been a lot of postings for a Cambridge Apartment complex in Surfside/MI. The prices seem WAY too cheap to be in a decent neighborhood but the pictures don't look bad at all; nice cars at the neighbors, everything looks clean. It's more of a drive than I want but it's in my price range.

3: I am having an incredibly hard time finding anything in PI for less than $800. Ideally I want to stick in the $650-$700 range; is this something that isn't going to happen in that area?

Outside of searching via CL and google and the local paper I'm running out of ideas on looking for places. If anyone can point me in a good direction that would be great. While I've seen a lot of condo's I'd love to buy I'm not at a place right now to do so (I could make the payments but unfortunately don't have anything saved for a deposit). Any help anyone can offer would be super appreciated

Also, please keep in mind, I'm a single female, so there are places I feel a gentleman could live that would be in my best interests not to!

Apparently you have a car......

What you should do is get in it and drive around! Look at these places in person! Have you not considered this?

Do not rely on CL - too many scams.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Georgetown has alot going for it except "oh that smell". I don't think I could live anywhere near the odor........

Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:

The apartment on Glenns Bay road should be fine.( Surfside/Cambridge) That area is perfectly ok. However, Glenns Bay Road gets a lot of traffic. Would you mind the sound of it? Plus, you must be careful getting in and out of there onto that road.
However, it does look like a great price and I love that they will accept pets which is sometimes a difficult find. They are quite nice looking and you would be close to shopping and all you need in the Surfside area. Do watch for scams...Don't send money without having someone check personally for you.
Georgetown is a cute town and very diverse, best of luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Georgetown has alot going for it except "oh that smell". I don't think I could live anywhere near the odor........
Oh yep, I forgot. Make sure you can withstand the papermill smell. It is not always present on each and every visit. They claim that " is their bread and butter"...but, alas it would be hard for me to deal with too.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,515 times
Quote:

Litchfield Oaks one bedrooms are $739. We looked at those and thought they were cute. You may find a couple other that hover around the $700 range for a one bedroom.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,529 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your responses! I've always seen such helpful things posted here so I was hopeful I'd get some locals who knew the area and could help me out!

Noise/traffic/etc doesn't bother me. I actually prefer it to the quiet of the country; the quietness freaks me out! After a year of Detroit traffic, nothing phases me anymore in that respect.

Litchfield Oaks is a nice place, it's definitely on my check out list. I've got an appointment to see a place in Georgetown as well. Although I did find it off CL and now I'm a little worried! But I found my current place off there and the property company has been great.

I work down there, so the smell is something I'm getting used to, I suppose, although living there might be a different story, at least now I can escape and go home!

And as far as getting in the car and driving, I've done that before and went and saw a lot of places that were run down/out of my price range/etc. I was hoping to get some pointers before I kill a tank of gas. But thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM

142 posts, read 363,465 times
Ars, why look around Surfside or Garden City, that only puts you 15 minutes closer to G-town than where you are now,
look further south, lots of condos around Pawleys, they have a lot of nice places to eat and drink, and that keeps you close to a beach and G-town for work, G-town is nice in areas but no beach and the paper mill smell is not all the time, but when it is there, it is there

Gary

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 PM

178 posts, read 329,532 times
Cambridge can be "iffy". Used to live around the corner from there in Jamestown. Maybe it's gotten a bit better in the past few years but it did used to be a bit dicey. Rent is cheap though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area