Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,720,499 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good deterrent for mosquitos? I can't use DEET -containing products and my "family" cutters brand is failing me. I got eaten alive last week!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM

245 posts, read 496,112 times
I've heard Bounce fabric softener sheets, you wipe them on your body. Also avoid eating bananas. I've heard there is a pill/vitamin that you can take and the mosquitos will avoid you, unfortunately I can't think of the name.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
Avon - Skin so Soft

I can't say I really ever used it, but my mother has always sworn by it

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM

214 posts, read 650,498 times
I feel you on that one, I was outside this weekend working on my wife's car and got eaten alive even with bug spray on. I only got half of the job done before I just said screw it and went inside.....something about bug spray mixed with sweat running into my eyes. About 20+ bites on each leg and arm

You may give those new OFF Clip On deals a try, you clip them on your belt and they are battery operated. I believe they circulate a repellent with a fan so you dont have to spray it on yourself. I have been thinking out giving it a shot to finish my work on the car.

When I have a job that is outdoors here out in swampy areas I have a spray that is 100% deet that I use......I'm sure I will develop cancer or something from it but it does the trick.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,720,499 times
Thanks everyone. I did try the Bounce softener, but didn't wipe down with it...maybe that would bake a difference....
Scotty, I got one of those fan thingys for my other half but don't know if he used it yet..maybe I'll hijack it on our next trip down!
Has anyone heard any commentary about the eucalyptus-based products?

For the yard, my sister who lives in VA swears by a product by Bonine that you attach to the hose and spray over your grass, deck whatever. It didn't work for me, but I think we have more of those black "Tiger" mosquitos that are apparently resistant to everything.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Default I hate mosquitoes!

busydesk - not sure why you can't use DEET containing products.......but did you realize that the Cutter "family" repellent line all contain 7% DEET?

Cutter

Avon Skin So Soft has been touted for years as being an effective mosquito repellent however, it is just a skin lotion/bath oil. Avon realized this and came out with a special product that actually does contain a mosquito repellent - picaridan, which has been used worldwide since sometime in the 1990s.

AVON - Products

As far as the clip on thing, you have to decide if you would rather put the chemicals on your skin or breathe them into your lungs.

Consumer Reports Video Hub - Health - Personal Care - Off Clip-On Mosquito Repellent

And just in case anyone thinks I didn't post enough links !

snopes.com: Mosquito Repel Lore

Mosquito myths - Mosquito World

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...osquito-magnet

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM

245 posts, read 496,112 times
I just found this.
How can I avoid mosquito bites? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,676,642 times
Default I like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
This was interesting. My favorite part though, was this:

"Among their conclusions was the fact that an essential oil in catnip is 10 times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than potent chemicals such as DEET."

All I could think of was how many cats might be attracted to you!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
My legs were ravaged by mosquito bites every time I walked the dog after dinner in central NJ. Now that I am here in Murrells Inlet and walking the dog after the evening news, I have not been bitten once......

Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM

35 posts, read 76,443 times
I believe I am a dream meal for any insect that bites or stings. Avon Skin So Soft works for me, however, I use it daily. I did go without it for two weeks and was bitten like crazy. I've also heard people swear by garlic pills but I think that may keep more than bugs away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area