Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 27,934 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been coming and going from the MB area for years for vacations and short trips. I currently live in VA - 6 hours away from the area. Just recently was down for a week and for several years I have been longing to move further south - to SC, GA, FL, but this trip it became more apparent to me that moving to this area might really filly my wants as well as still be close to family and other family that lives just 3 hours away. I know the area well - but then again I am usually just down enjoying the beach and activities.

What are some pros and cons to living in the area?

To others that live in the area - do you like it or hate it?

It would be just my husband and I moving - that direction and we had hoped to find a house close to the beach. We had hoped to move across 17, somewhere around the Dunes, Arcadian shores areas for instance.....

Just any input would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,153 times
There are lots of other threads where you can read thoughts on what people like or dislike about the MB area. But, I'll add my 2 cents worth here:

Lots of sunshine unlike where we moved from
Lower taxes
The feeling that every weekend is like being on vacation if you want it to be
Free or low cost concerts and activities especially during the summer
Friendly people
Lots of golf options (if you like to play golf)
I like to observe people so it's fun to sit around sometimes in high foot traffic areas and watch people

Dislikes (and I'll preface these with acknowledgement that I was aware of these before moving here but find the positives outweigh the negatives):
Summer tourist traffic (but most of the time you can use back roads around it)
Rude tourists
Hot/humid weather (but it's better than snow!!)

Advice worth repeating that you'll see multiple times in these forums:
1. Spend at least a week here away from the beaches exploring the area before deciding to move. Living here is different than vacationing here.
2. Rent for a year before you buy to make sure you like it here and to make sure you've picked the right neighborhood/area.

My observation of the area that you are looking at...it's more pricey than if you live west of the intercoastal or further north or south of the area. But, if you can afford it, it's a pretty nice area.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
There are lots of other threads where you can read thoughts on what people like or dislike about the MB area. But, I'll add my 2 cents worth here:

Lots of sunshine unlike where we moved from
Lower taxes
The feeling that every weekend is like being on vacation if you want it to be
Free or low cost concerts and activities especially during the summer
Friendly people
Lots of golf options (if you like to play golf)
I like to observe people so it's fun to sit around sometimes in high foot traffic areas and watch people

Dislikes (and I'll preface these with acknowledgement that I was aware of these before moving here but find the positives outweigh the negatives):
Summer tourist traffic (but most of the time you can use back roads around it)
Rude tourists
Hot/humid weather (but it's better than snow!!)

Advice worth repeating that you'll see multiple times in these forums:
1. Spend at least a week here away from the beaches exploring the area before deciding to move. Living here is different than vacationing here.
2. Rent for a year before you buy to make sure you like it here and to make sure you've picked the right neighborhood/area.

My observation of the area that you are looking at...it's more pricey than if you live west of the intercoastal or further north or south of the area. But, if you can afford it, it's a pretty nice area.
I second this... CTYankee has this right with everything he has mentioned. There is always something to do, so no boredom with having picked a place with nothing to keep you busy. The shows are wonderful and the entertainers change all the time in Alabama Theater.
The times for swimming here is extended with the long summer season. Winter means walks along Broadway at the Beach, or Barefoot Landing. Gatherings with the "snowbirds."
We love living here with all the seasons. Even fall and winter have their own special days.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,550,707 times
I would love to be here all year around except for December through February...... But maybe global warming will fix that. It might even give me beach front property........

Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Oh tmozer, those chilly days of Dec give me the Christmas shopping, and tree shopping fever....
Jan and Feb the snowbirds are here to enjoy. So its not too bad at all. Turn up that fireplace....I do love a fireplace in winter months.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,153 times
A bad winter day in MB is better than the best winter day in the northeast.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
A bad winter day in MB is better than the best winter day in the northeast.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 AM

178 posts, read 329,654 times
As a former Yankee, I have to agree about the tourists. The traffic is horrendous and you have to add time to your trip if you want to get where you're going on time. I absolutely LOATHE it here from the middle of May (the bikers) till the beginning of September. In 8 years I haven't acclimated to the heat and humidity and I don't think I will. I would actually prefer a freezing day to a 105+ heat index day. But from Sept to May this is the most glorious place on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area